JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Full Size Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f57/)
-   -   Homemade J-truck Camper Shell (pic heavy) (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f57/homemade-j-truck-camper-shell-pic-heavy-1466846/)

pleontks 01-21-2013 09:53 AM

Homemade J-truck Camper Shell (pic heavy)

4 Attachment(s)
Had been looking everywhere for a camper shell for my 76 J10 shortbed. I could find NOTHING!
Had an extra 79 Cherokee Chief (I know it was in good condition, but nobody wanted it)

pleontks 01-21-2013 09:55 AM

6 Attachment(s)
more pics...

pleontks 01-21-2013 09:57 AM

8 Attachment(s)
more pics....

pleontks 01-21-2013 10:05 AM

I cut off the top right below the seam where it goes back out under the windows. I cut it at a decent angle, with the inside cut being much lower than the outside, as the roof piece extends inches below the top of the side piece. I cut across the roof in about the middle of the doors (I measured like 15 times, but don't remember it now)

Once I got the roof off, I drilled out the spotwelds holding the side piece to the roof piece. I then attached s5' 2"x2" 16ga angle to the bottoms of the sides of the roof, starting at the rear. I had to trim some of the angle to clear the windows, as the bottom of the sides of the roof piece have a slant to them (Which I transferred to the camper shell. I attached it with tek screws (5/16 drive, #10?, 3/4", self-tapping). At the front, I finished framing the sides, and framed the front with 1"x1" 16ga angle.

The gaps in the sides I filled with some 24g I had laying around. I am still not sure what I want to put here. Would like to make it openable for access to the bed. I filled in the front with some strips of 16g. Pics in a bit.

I was moving out of state the day I finished it, so I scabbed in a back window from a trailer. No pics because it was nasty. Have the parts now to put on the same window, but with a lift hinge. Had to do some nasty stuff with the back corners to get the support I wanted, but will re-do that.
Also have a slider window for the front that I will install.
I used funnoodles as the cab-cap gasket.
Moved the furthest forward roof support beam forward a couple inches.

Ended up having to hack in a bunch of finishes, since I was moving the next day. Have been here just over a year, with no access to a welder, so no work done on the cap. I'm gonna pull off the angle from the sides, cut it nicely, and weld it back on. I also have some more welding to do at the front where the roof meets the 16g I put across the front.

Then it's just a couple decisions as to the back window, and what I wanna do on the front of the sides.
more to come...

Buster 01-21-2013 10:06 AM

Groovy, very fine work, and now you have a convertible chief! ;)

jeepdj5 01-21-2013 10:12 AM

Going to cry! I would have bought it

Sent from my fsj Cherokee chief using JeepForum

pleontks 01-21-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buster (Post 14826396)
Groovy, very fine work, and now you have a convertible chief! ;)

Unfortunately, the body did not survive the surgery. Had to remove too much to get the whole roof piece out. Sides of chief floppped around like butter :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepdj5 (Post 14826444)
Going to cry! I would have bought it

Believe me, I felt bad. It had no engine and nobody wanted it. Tried parting it out, couldn't even sell the w/t axles.

But between my truck and the brown jeep in the pics, at least half of it still lives on :)

jeepdj5 01-21-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pleontks

Unfortunately, the body did not survive the surgery. Had to remove too much to get the whole roof piece out. Sides of chief floppped around like butter :)

Believe me, I felt bad. It had no engine and nobody wanted it. Tried parting it out, couldn't even sell the w/t axles.

But between my truck and the brown jeep in the pics, at least half of it still lives on :)

Ok ( that makes me feel better ) you should put an engine in it and make a nice trail jeep

jeepdj5 01-21-2013 10:55 AM

Hey do you have the chief badges?

pleontks 01-21-2013 10:56 AM

2 Attachment(s)
here's the 16g on the front of it, and the window for the back.

So far, total budget of $0 (will keep it at that until I paint it)

And, after I cut the roof off the chief, took out the interior (went in brown jeep), and sold one of the rear axleshafts, picknpull came and picked it up, and gave me $200! A week later when I saw it in the yard, it was fenderless, doorless, and axleless.

jeepdj5 01-21-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

here's the 16g on the front of it, and the window for the back.

So far, total budget of $0 (will keep it at that until I paint it)

And, after I cut the roof off the chief, took out the interior (went in brown jeep), and sold one of the rear axleshafts, picknpull came and picked it up, and gave me $200! A week later when I saw it in the yard, it was fenderless, doorless, and axleless.

Where are you I need a fender, I said do you have the chief badges

pleontks 01-21-2013 11:06 AM

I'm in AZ, that jeep was in NV. The badges went to the brown jeep. Which I now regret, as my 77 needs a badge.

jeepdj5 01-21-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

I'm in AZ, that jeep was in NV. The badges went to the brown jeep. Which I now regret, as my 77 needs a badge.

Oh I need badges! Send them to me!

Dr. Marneaus 01-21-2013 03:33 PM

Oh goodness, that poor cherokee!

Looks like a neat shell though.

pleontks 06-27-2013 10:42 PM

Finally got a welder and start welding everything together. So far, the rail on one side is welded, and 2/3 ground. I'm not so good at welding yet. :)

Pics tomorrow.

The time now is 07:33 AM.