Hi Everyone! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Hi Everyone!

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-17-2013, 01:54 AM   #1
TheDeac
1981 J-Series Truck 

Hi Everyone!

Hello, I just became a member and I didn't find a place to specifically post hello, so I am posting here I am assuming that I will spend most of my time in this forum since my jeep is a 1981 J10. I literally cant wait to fix this baby up and get her on the road! Also I guess I will post some pictures I took of my jeep (I still need to put a new hood cable in because the old one literally pulled out of the truck so there is a branch holding open the hood).

As for the custom stuff that is already on it, It has an 8,000lb winch on the frame, an added 30 gallon gas tank for a total of 50 gallon capacity, i believe a 5 inch suspension lift, but I can't remember right now, a chrome brush guard with two fog lights and it has the delux trim My dad gave me the truck to fix up (its been sitting in my uncle's yard for like 5 years) we have gotten it running and has already been a blast!

It does have problems, if you are driving in 3rd and slow down, it sometimes pops back into neutral. something is also wrong with 2nd, but i can't remember that either! And the poor old inline 6 has a very hard time pulling this truck up the steep mountain roads. I'm sure im going to need new tires (the old ones are cracking a little bit) so i'm going to put on some 33's. My dad said he had 33s on but there are 31's on the truck right now. It really could use a rebuilt tranny, some power upgrades to the inline 6 (i really like the low end) a paint job (original colors), and all new rubber like everything haha.

Well thats my long introduction. I'm excited to be a part of this forum and hopefully learn and maybe throw in my 2 cents every once in a while Thank You!

191875_4638692488937_1251316298_o.jpg   325133_4638698769094_362850817_o.jpg   411463_4638699449111_647379031_o.jpg   464619_4638697049051_784464068_o.jpg   464869_4638696409035_236536040_o.jpg  

616176_4638694288982_2071724793_o.jpg   621671_4638681368659_509915701_o.jpg   621850_4638697929073_1190781661_o.jpg  
TheDeac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 05:22 AM   #2
revelc
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

First off.

WELCOME!

We are always glad to see new members joining the madness that is nursing these FSJ's and keeping them going down the road.

Your truck looks great!
It looks rust free from the pictures at least which is a great thing!
The body looks fairly straight too aside from the front quarter panel but that's nothing a little junkyard hunting can't fix.
How's the interior look?

I'm not a tranny guy but I'm pretty sure popping our of gear is a synchro issue. It might be worth your time to do a minor rebuild or hunt down a replacement.

If you already have the tranny pulled you might as well pull the engine too. You can rebuild the carb, upgrade the ignition system, and DIY hone and re-ring for a good boost of power. You can also pop in a cam with new valve spring for some more oomph.

Making sure the exhaust is flowing freely will help too!

Can't wait to see the progress. Keep those pictures coming.
Unread 05-17-2013, 12:14 PM   #3
TheDeac
1981 J-Series Truck 

Thank you! She is pretty much rust free. Which is very nice. The front quarter panel. I'm assuming that is the panel in front of the door (I'm pretty new to this stuff). I live on a steep hill and it has rolled down our hill TWICE and taken out two tree's in our front yard (thankfully not the neighbor's house across the street). the second time the door hit a tree when it was open and pushed the door back against the quarter panel. So that need to get pounded out. I have an extra door (the old one is actually bent a bit) that I picked up from an older J10.

The interior could use quite a bit of work. The carpet is all but destroyed. But that is an easy fix. Even I could do that by myself. The seats need to be redone, or just new ones should be put in. That bench in there is bouncier than a trampoline! I cant believe I didn't hit my head on the roof when i was driving around my Uncle's property. My brother had this truck before me back in like 95 and he tried to cut out the dash to fit a different radio deck in and just kinda screwed up the dash. So that would be nice to fix (and maybe put in a radio) although a new radio is not completely necessary. Driving this truck is enough of a dream come true

My father told me that it was a synchro issue with the tranny. A rebuild kit for a tranny is like 75 bucks, but I really have no clue what I'm doing. I've been watching videos on how to rebuild a manual transmission but it looks so complicated I feel i would mess up a lot. But I am on a limited budget (like everyone) but I'm going to be a junior down at UOP so money is a bit on the tight side. But this is my dream. I don't think i've wanted anything as much as this truck fixed up

As for the engine, I could rebuild the carb. My dad has done that and rebuilt engines too so he can teach me. I don't even know what upgrading the ignition system would entail. Like new spark plugs? I don't even know what DIY is. Ok new cam with a new valve spring. I will have to do some of these because this engine is a bit weak for these hills. Also, the exhaust has a leak in it somewhere and it makes like pops sometimes because air is getting in. I need to fix that. Also the lift on the J10 is a rancho 4in lift, but it has the rancho 2-3in shocks so the shock is overextended. So I'm going to invest in that. It's a whole lot of money I have to make, but it will be soooo worth it when I'm done!
TheDeac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 12:44 PM   #4
revelc
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeac
Thank you! She is pretty much rust free. Which is very nice. The front quarter panel. I'm assuming that is the panel in front of the door (I'm pretty new to this stuff). I live on a steep hill and it has rolled down our hill TWICE and taken out two tree's in our front yard (thankfully not the neighbor's house across the street). the second time the door hit a tree when it was open and pushed the door back against the quarter panel. So that need to get pounded out. I have an extra door (the old one is actually bent a bit) that I picked up from an older J10.
Oh man. I had something similar happen on the same side. My Wagoneer jumped out of park in my church's parking lot. Some old feller was coming down the hill (supposed to be 30mph zone) and in the couple hundred feet he had didn't stop before running into the open drivers door. Creased my panel the same way. I was just going to replace it and the door if I can find a nice donor rig.

Quote:
The interior could use quite a bit of work. The carpet is all but destroyed. But that is an easy fix. Even I could do that by myself. The seats need to be redone, or just new ones should be put in. That bench in there is bouncier than a trampoline! I cant believe I didn't hit my head on the roof when i was driving around my Uncle's property. My brother had this truck before me back in like 95 and he tried to cut out the dash to fit a different radio deck in and just kinda screwed up the dash. So that would be nice to fix (and maybe put in a radio) although a new radio is not completely necessary. Driving this truck is enough of a dream come true
You can always bedline the floor
You should search the forums. There might be some seats out there that bolt in place of your originals.
If the dash looks hacked up you can always get a nice piece of diamond plate and rivet it in place and either block that off or cut a hole in it for your radio. Just a thought.

Quote:
My father told me that it was a synchro issue with the tranny. A rebuild kit for a tranny is like 75 bucks, but I really have no clue what I'm doing. I've been watching videos on how to rebuild a manual transmission but it looks so complicated I feel i would mess up a lot. But I am on a limited budget (like everyone) but I'm going to be a junior down at UOP so money is a bit on the tight side. But this is my dream. I don't think i've wanted anything as much as this truck fixed up
Get a DVD or a book and go for it! It would be a great learning experience and you'll end up paying a good bit to have someone else do what you can do over a weekend or two. Just be patient and remember to breath

Quote:
As for the engine, I could rebuild the carb. My dad has done that and rebuilt engines too so he can teach me. I don't even know what upgrading the ignition system would entail. Like new spark plugs? I don't even know what DIY is. Ok new cam with a new valve spring. I will have to do some of these because this engine is a bit weak for these hills. Also, the exhaust has a leak in it somewhere and it makes like pops sometimes because air is getting in. I need to fix that. Also the lift on the J10 is a rancho 4in lift, but it has the rancho 2-3in shocks so the shock is overextended. So I'm going to invest in that. It's a whole lot of money I have to make, but it will be soooo worth it when I'm done!
I am sure some guys who have the I6 motors can help. I have only fiddled with the V8's. Definitely get the carb rebuilt or do it yourself. Cheap and easy way to restore life to an engine. It might also be your backfire culprit if its running lean. But get the exhaust issue hammered out too.
Maybe your timing is off. Check it with a timing light and see if its where it needs to be.
You can replace the distributor and coil with an HEI unit, but there are many options. It would be worth searching the forums.
If you do the cam, carb, and ignition it should wake that old motor right up.

If you want a lot more low end maybe consider swapping to a V8. It shouldn't cost too much to find an good one and either freshen it up or do a mild build. These old AMC V8's like the 360 and 401 have TONS of grunt.

The shocks are a good idea. You'll get some more flex with the proper height ones.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.