help it wont start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > help it wont start

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 06-25-2010, 02:28 PM   #1
jeepnumber2
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

help it wont start

87 Grand Wagoneer wont start.
I just bought it about two weeks ago. Drove it home 40 minutes on the interstate no problem. I tried to start it a couple days later and nothing. It still sits. It sounds like it wants to start but wont turn over. Some old guys in the neighborhood offered there two cents which was helpful. One checked the distributor and said I'm getting good spark, the battery is good. The fuel filter was good. So we tried gas down the carb and still wont start. With their advice I replaced the fuel pump and still nothing. It looks like fuel isn't getting to the pump. So is my problem somewhere from the tank to the pump? I keep trying fuel in the carb and it gets so close but just wont. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

jeepnumber2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2010, 03:19 PM   #2
Eric1080
1978 J-Series Truck 

gas in the tank. im serious. it happened to me. gauge was messed up said i had gas but was empty.
Eric1080 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2010, 05:57 PM   #3
jeepnumber2
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

that was my next thought so I added a few gallons and the needle says over a 1/4 tank. You think I more still? thanks btw
jeepnumber2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2010, 08:33 PM   #4
gotmudnj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

pull a fuel line off from the carb and have someone in the car...turn key and pump gas and see if anything comes out... when your cranking yous say it trys to start with starting fuel..does it kick over at all if you keep dumping gas it. i believe you said you tried and no luck. i would try starting fluid non stop while someone cranks it and see if you get anything.....just my 2cents...good luck
Unread 06-26-2010, 09:19 AM   #5
Eric1080
1978 J-Series Truck 

check the fuel pressure. maybe too much and flooding
Eric1080 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.