Help Needed- Electrical ID, Grand Wagoneer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Help Needed- Electrical ID, Grand Wagoneer

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 04-26-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
TNGWag
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Help Needed- Electrical ID, Grand Wagoneer

All,

Can anyone tell me what the small blue box located under the fuse box of a 1989 Grand Wagoneer is called and what it does? Also, I took a picture of it, but can't figure out how to post it, if anyone can tell me how to post, I'd be much obliged.

Thanks!

Last edited by TNGWag; 04-27-2012 at 10:30 AM..
TNGWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
DotJumper
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

It's the chime box...makes all the alarm sounds - key in ignition, door open, lights on, etc.
DotJumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 07:55 PM   #3
TNGWag
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Mystery solved- thanks for your help!

There is an unconnected wire in the mess of wires below the steering wheel that I want help identifying. I took a picture of it but can't figure out how to post the photo. Can anyone tell me how to add it?

Thanks.

Last edited by TNGWag; 04-27-2012 at 10:33 AM..
TNGWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #4
makulaf

reviving an old thread...

would this blue box be the problem with the door open/keys in the ignition warning being on all the time (even with no keys in the ignition)? can i just remove the box? thank you for any help
makulaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 06:45 PM   #5
DotJumper
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

You can remove it and the sounds will stop. It could be the problem, but more likely is the switch inside the steering column has gone bad - stuck closed.
Unread 07-25-2013, 11:54 AM   #6
makulaf

thank you for the reply DotJumper. do you know if the switch in the steering column can be removed and if this is a big job?
makulaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 09:41 PM   #7
DotJumper
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

It's not a huge job. Remove steering wheel. Tear it on down to ignition switch. The ignition alarm switch is there...if I remember right.

This is a GM steering column, so just Google "GM steering column rebuild". That's what I did when I bought my Jeep. Had to take it down to the tilt knuckle to tighten the bolts back up.

You can get a new one at Team Wagoneer: Steering Column Key Buzzer NOS GW 1979-1991.

http://www.teamgrandwagoneer.com/ste...-gw-1979-1991/

Let me know if you need any more help.
Unread 07-29-2013, 07:47 PM   #8
Little Green
1991 FSJ Wagoneer 

I just replaced the cylinder ignition lock on mine so I was just in there. You need a steering wheel puller kit, more for the pressure plate than the actual wheel. Used the loaner tool at pep boys.

Tags
electrical issue , grand wagoneer , help needed , identification

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.