Help, my wedding ring falling down the defroster vents. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 10-08-2008, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
JeepKanya

Help, my wedding ring falling down the defroster vents.

Hi

My Jeep is Commander 2005 model. I place my wedding ring at the tray near the defroster vents and I forgot and start drive the car, then when I hit a break the ring sliding down to the defroster vents.
Is it going to fall down to the road or it will stuck some where in the vent? How can I get it out, is it going to be difficult? I call the dealer and they going to charge me for 900$+ for take it out

Thanks you very much for any suggestion.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-08-2008, 06:35 PM
YB Normyl

2016 JK Wrangler 

It won't fall to the road, all the vents go to the heater/cooling unit. The ring may still be in the vent or it's inside the unit. You can do a couple of things, if you can here the ring sliding around when you make a turn then the ring is still in the vent and hasn't dropped. you might be able to go through the same vent the ring fell in or the top part of the side vents with a flexible tool or wire which you would put something sticky like 2 side tape or something on the end that won't come off the wire while you poke around trying to catch the ring with the tape. Some shops have a camera on a wand they can stick into the vents to see where the ring is, but odds are someone will have to remove the whole dashboard to get at the vents. $900 is too much they should be able to pull the dash, find the ring within 3-4 hours so you should pay by their hourly rate.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-09-2008, 07:02 AM
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Just roll the vehicle over.

Depending on what the ring is made of, a magnet on a flexible rod may work. I'd try to fish it out through all the existing openings after cycling the HVAC system though all the different vent positions. to see if you can get it down to the heater outlet area.

It may be a pain in the *ss job to retrieve it, but it won't go anywhere. The part I find funny is that I used to work for Lear and IAC. They supply instrument panels on a lot of Chrysler vehicles (but not the Commander) and grilles are generally supposed to be designed so that items like that cannot get into them. Common test items are french fries and pencils. Some Engineeer did not do their job properly. If the vehicle is relatively new and still under warranty, you may just want to show up at the Dealer in an irate or emotionally upset state and throw some tears at them. They may get it out for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!

post #4 of 5 Old 10-12-2008, 10:29 PM
madman96

i work for a local jeep dealer as a tech. I looked up the a/c duct work of your jeep and if you get lucky the ring may have woked it's way down to to the floor vents to get to them all you would have to do is pull the center council apart and the floor vent will be right there. then that part will come off and you can reach in the the duct work and hope it is there. Also if it went down in the main a/c housing you can take the blower motor out and with a mirror look in and see if you see it. hope this will help and good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-15-2008, 01:40 PM
MilestheJeep
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I have a 91 Jeep Cherokee and I did the same thing with my necklace - I am also trying to retrieve it. I have done some work on my jeep and am fairly familiar with it. I was able to pull out the blower motor but I did not find good access to the ducts or the necklace. I removed the cover to the defroster vents and found the ducts all slide to the center somewhere... where I don't know. I took off the front console and it takes you to a wall. Will taking out the glove box give me access to the vents? What I need to find is how to get access to that center part. It looks like taking out the radio also leads to a wall. There must be some other access to those vents. Anyone know? Any luck on your end JeepKanya?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.