Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

help with my chief.

4K views 65 replies 6 participants last post by  93ZJDave 
#1 ·
So i started on my chief and it hasnt been touched it over 20 years the wiring harness is a mess so i replaced the harness with a spare i still cant seem to get the motor to turn over i tried everything and cant seem to even get it to click any idea what im doing wrong? Maybe something isnt grounded right i even tried jumping the solenoid and nothing

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah i had the motor down to bare block it turns by hand but the electrical its kinda a mess my uncle started a frame up 22 years ago and i got it now to finish it and well its a mess lol i have a chilton manual which helps a bit im pretty sure the harness is wired right i cant get the starter to work i have a spare starter and it dont work either i gotta be missing something

#4 ·
We totally need the year

For the starter to go, you have wire from battery to solenoid, large wire from other side of solenoid to starter, and groudf from starter/engine to battery. You already know how to jump the solenoid, so if you have those wires and good connection, you should be able to get the starter to engage.

#5 ·
Sorry its a 1979 chief with a 360 quadratrac and th400. I have the wire from the battery to the solenoid then from the solenoid to the starter i have the negative going to a bolt on the head and the smaller wire grounded on the fender well. I can get the solenoid to click but thats it but thats when i jump power to the smaller post on the top of the solenoid if i jump it from post to post to bypass the solenoid nothing happens.

#7 ·
Has either starter been bench tested? Have you checked the solenoid wire for continuity?

#9 ·
No i havent done any of that im new to this jeep it tried jumping both starters with jumper cables ground on the body and positive on the terminal and nothing im not sure what up maybe i have a bad ground or something the jeep was a project of my uncle and he never finished it sat since 1990 untouched so who know whats wrong i tried startingnit witg the key only the brake lights comes on. The jeep its stripped right now so there not much in or on it most of the wiring isnt installed.

#10 ·
I would make sure the starters are working before I started chasing wires. Chasing shorts is my least favorite thing on a vehicle btw:p

#12 ·
Could take it in and test. I've done it with jumper cables, but it always has spooked me a little

#16 ·
I havent had time to work on the chief but luckily i got a mechanic job finally so ill have some good money to throw at it. I also noticed the motor itself didnt have any grounds going to the frame or body so ill ground the motor and try again if nothing new starter and solenoid time. Also is there an upgrade for the distributor like an hei or something.

#17 ·
OK got the starter tested it was good I replaced the solenoid and still nothing then jumped the solenoid and it turned over! After 22 years of sitting and being siezed up it turned over I sprayed a little starter fluid in and it sputtered a bit so it will run when it gets fuel !!! Just gotta change the oil 1 more time and get the exhaust on it and see if she will run. It don't start with the key not sure why maybe the ignition switch post a video on it turning over soon

#19 ·
So when it comes to firing this thing up I'll change the oil should I put a heavier weight oil in 15w40? For the first time and prime the oil pump? Or will 10w30 be fine I just want everything right before I fire it up for the first time in 22 years.

#23 ·
It hasn't run at all in 22 years? If this is correct then I would suggest you reprime the oil pump and flow some oil through it before starting it up. I would get some marvels mystery oil and some cheap oil. Fill it up with a new filter. Use a priming tool and a drill. Run it. Then run it some more. If you have a buddy that can help. Remove the spark plugs and while running the drill turn it over by hand at the crank. I would do this a couple of times. Pausing to let the drill cool. Then drain it. Replace the oil. Run the drill one more time. Replace the filter. Check the oil level. Then try to fire it up. It sounds like a lot of work but if you can keep the bearings from spinning it will be time well spent.

#24 ·
The worst part it was rebuilt and bored over 22 years ago ran for 30 seconds at the shop it was built at then never ran again would just turning the motor over with the starter prime the oil pump? Ill change the oil again this week and prime the pump anything I can do to keep it from spinning a bearing.

#25 ·
Yes and no. It will but the motor will be turning over as well. If there is no oil flowing in the bearings, or left over oil, or the oil has grundged up that's just not a good thing.

Get/make an oil prime tool. This will flow the oil without turning the motor over.

#26 ·
olliehopnoodle said:
Yes and no. It will but the motor will be turning over as well. If there is no oil flowing in the bearings, or left over oil, or the oil has grundged up that's just not a good thing.

Get/make an oil prime tool. This will flow the oil without turning the motor over.
X2 find an old dizzy or cut the handle off of a long flat blade. I filled my oil filter with comp assembly lube and primed it for a few minutes. Pulled the valve cover and it was working like a charm. I kept going until the red lube turned to golden oil and then I fired her up.

Don't rush or you'll pay on the long run. Trust me. I know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.