help with my chief. - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > help with my chief.

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-06-2013, 06:09 PM   #46
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

HE!! YEA MAN.
I see you've a proper battery as well

RockRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #47
revelc
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

So sick man. I'm sure your pumped. Soon enough you'll be rippin up and down the road.
Unread 04-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #48
93ZJDave
1993 ZJ 

Hell yeah man I can't believe it ran after sitting 22 years and having a gallon of water in the oil for them 22 year man I'm thrilled and the battery it from my car lol but it had a lot more power then any other battery I had she ran great now I just need to get the ignition figured out and the fuel tank and lines back in and the interior back in and all the other wiring I have a long way to go but man that motor is gonna haul some *** lol while getting a whole 6 miles to the gallon lol can't wait to roll around in my dinosaur
93ZJDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #49
93ZJDave
1993 ZJ 

Here's a pic of my tool and drill that did the job it stressed it pretty good but it was enough to get the oil pumped up in the heads I also poured half a quart of oil in the distributor hole so that helped lol I got lucky when I took apart the old jeep 4.0 distributor it came apart just like I needed it to I had to grind the end so it didn't spin in the drill neat little idea and I'm glad it worked

Unread 04-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #50
revelc
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93ZJDave
Here's a pic of my tool and drill that did the job it stressed it pretty good but it was enough to get the oil pumped up in the heads I also poured half a quart of oil in the distributor hole so that helped lol I got lucky when I took apart the old jeep 4.0 distributor it came apart just like I needed it to I had to grind the end so it didn't spin in the drill neat little idea and I'm glad it worked

You mentioned water in the pan. Did you ever pull it off and check the crank?
Unread 04-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #51
93ZJDave
1993 ZJ 

Well I didn't even tho I really should have but I was thinking about it and all the water would have been sitting at the bottom of the pan the oil would be on top so the crank should have been in oil not water because when I drained it the water came first I flushed it twice before starting it and replaced the filter I'll probably pull the pan before running it any further just to be safe but I checked out everything pretty well and it didn't seem to rusty inside which is a plus I'm gonna change the oil 1 more time and when I drain it this time I will drop the pan to check it out and see if everything is OK and make sure the oil pickup isn't plugged up or anything. There's a lot of vacuum lines I'm not sure what to do with them. Or if I can just cap them off I put an edelbrock performer intake and 600cfm 4bbl I'm not sure about vacuum for both I know the brake booster goes to the intake and the distributor vacuum advanced goes to the intake as well but that's all I know. Since the Chilton manual won't help much with aftermarket lol also do I need the egr valve or whatever it is on the back of the intake? I have it on now but can I make a block off plate for it who needs emissions crap of it lol its a dinosaur and I plan of spewing noxious fumes everywhere while getting 4 gallons to the mile lmao. This is quite a big post but I gotta start figuring out all the small stuff now and start putting the interior and fuel tank and lines back in the truck and get the tranny lines fixed since someone decided to cut them off at the trans..... I'll get a trans cooler for it and flare up some lines for it thankfully I got a job at a local speed shop and man I love it I'm learning so much more then I already new knowledge is power and look forward to every day I wake up to go to work lol.
Unread 04-07-2013, 08:47 PM   #52
revelc
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93ZJDave
Well I didn't even tho I really should have but I was thinking about it and all the water would have been sitting at the bottom of the pan the oil would be on top so the crank should have been in oil not water because when I drained it the water came first I flushed it twice before starting it and replaced the filter I'll probably pull the pan before running it any further just to be safe but I checked out everything pretty well and it didn't seem to rusty inside which is a plus I'm gonna change the oil 1 more time and when I drain it this time I will drop the pan to check it out and see if everything is OK and make sure the oil pickup isn't plugged up or anything. There's a lot of vacuum lines I'm not sure what to do with them. Or if I can just cap them off I put an edelbrock performer intake and 600cfm 4bbl I'm not sure about vacuum for both I know the brake booster goes to the intake and the distributor vacuum advanced goes to the intake as well but that's all I know. Since the Chilton manual won't help much with aftermarket lol also do I need the egr valve or whatever it is on the back of the intake? I have it on now but can I make a block off plate for it who needs emissions crap of it lol its a dinosaur and I plan of spewing noxious fumes everywhere while getting 4 gallons to the mile lmao. This is quite a big post but I gotta start figuring out all the small stuff now and start putting the interior and fuel tank and lines back in the truck and get the tranny lines fixed since someone decided to cut them off at the trans..... I'll get a trans cooler for it and flare up some lines for it thankfully I got a job at a local speed shop and man I love it I'm learning so much more then I already new knowledge is power and look forward to every day I wake up to go to work lol.
Good plan with dropping the pan. Safe thinking.
I removed all my vacuum lines and ran the brake booster to a fitting in front of the carb on the manifold, opted to run the dizzy vacuum off of the carb for a more reliable vacuum, and you must keep the PCV valve in the back of the intake hooked up to your carbs baseplate. If you block it crank case gases will shoot oil out of your dipstick tube and filler neck.

If your not drag racing or towing loads you can mount a tranny cooler from a junked vehicle and save some money.

Make sure you get proper fuel hose and tranny hose. Don't use one for both.

Your really blessed to have a speed shop and years of wisdom at your disposal.

Come up with a plan that outlines what you want to realistically use it for, how you'll do it, and start throwing your time and money at it until your smiling.

All the hard work and resources I've put into mine felt justified when I pulled up to a stoplight last week and a guy in a nice Tundra told me to roll my window down and told me I have a sweet Jeep. These things are one of a kind.
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:07 PM   #53
93ZJDave
1993 ZJ 

Man just being lucky enough to own one I'm happy I plan on cleaning it up as nice as I can and taking it to shows for other people to appreciate real American made jeep I originally wanted a muscle car to show but this will do fine there aren't many left and in my area my uncle has the only one that's on the street he has a golden eagle he drive every day I'm going to wheel mine as well but no mud or anything to major I have my grand Cherokee for that lol I just want this jeep to stand out and I want people to point and look at it as I drive by I want people to appreciate the rarity of this classic truck Cuz they sure don't make em like they use to. Yeah my work its fantastic I got lucky getting a job there just kinda walked in one day and asked if they needed help and he gave me a job. I have all the lines for the gas tank and what not and a new old stock sending unit since when my uncle was working on it back then he replaced everything on the truck whether it was bad or not its all new old parts. I ran a trans cooler on my 96 Cherokee after putting a new trans in it I got the cooler for 5 bucks at the junkyard it came off a 98 jeep grand Cherokee with a 318 so ifnim gonna run a cooler at least it will be off a jeep lol. Time and patience is the key and I know it will pay off in the end when I lay down my tools look back at ir and say wow I wish it was a manual transmission but the quadra track was with the auto only but it is fine it has the turbo400 so its a solid trans and also rebuilt.
Unread 04-08-2013, 05:55 PM   #54
93ZJDave
1993 ZJ 

Does anyone happen to have pics or a diagram on vacuum lines for my jeep I'm running an edelbrock performer intake and 600cfm carb now that it runs I wanna start putting it together correctly and if I can block of any lines I know the vacuum on the distributor is needed and vacuum off the booster is. Also can I block off the egr im hoping I can block off half the lines.
Unread 04-08-2013, 06:13 PM   #55
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f57/v...406-a-1480473/
RockRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 06:21 PM   #56
93ZJDave
1993 ZJ 

Thanks that will work just fine lol man there's a lot of stuff in that engine bay I think I may be missing a lot of stuff lol.
Unread 04-08-2013, 07:37 PM   #57
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Not much you can do if the bearings are rusted or have surface rust. It will be hard to tell from a visual inspection. If the pickup is clogged you will see low oil pressure. The saving grace may have been the old oil if the water didn't get up to the crank. Check out the oil pickup. Then run it and see what happens. It will either be fine or you will get some knocking. Not much point in just rebuilding it until you know.

Fingers crossed.

Who knows, maybe it will be good for 50K? 100K? 5K? Run it and see what happens.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #58
93ZJDave
1993 ZJ 

I drained the oil and refilled 3 times since the first time I got it when the water was in it I ran afew quarters through it and I'm 100 all water is gone it didn't look rusty so I may be OK I feel stupid but I noticed after running it there are no tranny lines !!! Hopefully for the short time of running it was only a few seconds at a time I didn't screw the transmission up. Gonna pick up a trans cooler and get that taken care of and start finishing up small things
Unread 04-09-2013, 07:52 AM   #59
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

I have read that the 727 doesn't circulate oil when in park. If that is true and you left it in park you are probably fine. I can't tell you for sure, it's only something I read. Was there a big puddle of transmission oil? Did you change the transmission fluid? Might not be a bad idea to. What does it look like on the dip stick?

You might go from park to netutral first and let it sit like that for a few minutes before tossing it into a gear.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #60
93ZJDave
1993 ZJ 

Fluid is spot less and I have a turbo 400 trans.not the torque flight I didn't see fluid coming out so I may be ok

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.