help with my chief. - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > help with my chief.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 04-05-2013, 06:06 PM   #31
93ZJDave
1993 ZJ 

Thanks I think the only old distributor I have laying around is one from a 4.0 jeep lol I'm sure I can make something I'll weld 2 screw drivers together if I have to lol so no big deal I'll have to find what wire goes to the sending unit the wiring is a mess lmao

93ZJDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 07:53 PM   #32
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

A cordless drill won't cut it. A 3/8" drill won't cut it. Use a 1/2" drill. You cannot overdo this.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 08:06 PM   #33
revelc
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olliehopnoodle
A cordless drill won't cut it. A 3/8" drill won't cut it. Use a 1/2" drill. You cannot overdo this.
I used an 18 volt on high gear until it bogged. Then it hardly turned in low gear. I'd recommend the same.
Unread 04-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #34
93ZJDave
1993 ZJ 

Lol ok I think the biggest drill I have right now is 3/8 so that may have do. Would a I pack gun do the job? Lol if not the drill will have to do gotta make do with what I have available one way or another I should be able to prime it. I know when I have the heads and intake off I had my gf pour oil over the lifters while I turned the motor over by hand I dumped 6 quarts in it that way to make sure oil got on the lifters and on the cam I'll see what I have to prime the pump I gotta change the oil 1 more time before anything which isn't a big deal hopefully if everything goes well I may have a video for tomorrow of it firing up since my uncle the one I got the jeep from never heard it run himself
Unread 04-05-2013, 08:29 PM   #35
revelc
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93ZJDave
Lol ok I think the biggest drill I have right now is 3/8 so that may have do. Would a I pack gun do the job? Lol if not the drill will have to do gotta make do with what I have available one way or another I should be able to prime it. I know when I have the heads and intake off I had my gf pour oil over the lifters while I turned the motor over by hand I dumped 6 quarts in it that way to make sure oil got on the lifters and on the cam I'll see what I have to prime the pump I gotta change the oil 1 more time before anything which isn't a big deal hopefully if everything goes well I may have a video for tomorrow of it firing up since my uncle the one I got the jeep from never heard it run himself
Thumbs up dude. Just remember patience may not literally pay. But cutting corners costs you.
Unread 04-05-2013, 08:37 PM   #36
93ZJDave
1993 ZJ 

Yeah I don't want to screw this motor up it has 0 miles on it and it was bored to a 392 its a solid motor and I just wanna hear it run lol but I will make sure to take my time I know its hard to keep myself from just firing it up and letting her rip lol I gotta make sure it don't know blow up on me but I have faith in it for sure they don't make em like they use to so it should be good if I prime it correctly and have everything prepped. This thing was in the family for such along time my uncle started restoring it back in 1990 the floors are all new the frame was sand blasted and undercoated both axles rebuilt the turbo400 rebuilt and the transfer case was rebuilt with a new chain and gears everything on it was rebuilt and the floor and frame your could eat off of when its finished it will most likely be the cleaned Cherokee chief I've ever seen period that how nice this thing is and I'm happy to own such a great piece of jeep history and a clean one at that. The only rust is surface and a small hole in the rocker which will be gone asap.
Unread 04-05-2013, 09:08 PM   #37
revelc
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Yeah I don't want to screw this motor up it has 0 miles on it and it was bored to a 392 its a solid motor and I just wanna hear it run lol but I will make sure to take my time I know its hard to keep myself from just firing it up and letting her rip lol I gotta make sure it don't know blow up on me but I have faith in it for sure they don't make em like they use to so it should be good if I prime it correctly and have everything prepped. This thing was in the family for such along time my uncle started restoring it back in 1990 the floors are all new the frame was sand blasted and undercoated both axles rebuilt the turbo400 rebuilt and the transfer case was rebuilt with a new chain and gears everything on it was rebuilt and the floor and frame your could eat off of when its finished it will most likely be the cleaned Cherokee chief I've ever seen period that how nice this thing is and I'm happy to own such a great piece of jeep history and a clean one at that. The only rust is surface and a small hole in the rocker which will be gone asap.
Sounds awesome. I am glad you appreciate the attention to detail your uncle put into it. It will all pay off someday.

Remember to break the cam in. Run it around 2,000-3,000 RPM for 20 minutes. Then yes, another oil and filter change.
Unread 04-05-2013, 09:38 PM   #38
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Goodness, that's a good point. It has never been broken in. Excellent catch.

A 3/8 inch drill most likely won't cut it. Give it a shot but if you need a 1/2 inch, you have a good excuse to buy one.

You are in a very unique situation. You need to think this over and be patient. It has sat for 22 years. A couple of more weeks isn't a big deal.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #39
93ZJDave
1993 ZJ 

True lol most of it has been prepped just have to prime the oil pump and it has pressure of at least til the valve covers have oil in them I'll make sure to go over everything first .
Unread 04-06-2013, 10:22 AM   #40
revelc
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
True lol most of it has been prepped just have to prime the oil pump and it has pressure of at least til the valve covers have oil in them I'll make sure to go over everything first .
If you haven't done it yet put some assembly lube in with the oil filter. Your cam will be much happier and ready for the break in. It's the most critical part of your engines life. If the pump free spins a long time you may need to pull the filter housing, catch the falling gears, and pack the gears into the housing with petroleum jelly. Then try again with oil/assembly lube in the filter. Works great. Just replace the gasket if you do or get a Bulltear mid-plate while its already open.
Unread 04-06-2013, 10:27 AM   #41
93ZJDave
1993 ZJ 

OK sounds good i was going to drop the pan as well and check everything inside should I put any kinda fluid right in the cylinders? Like marvel or just strait oil
Unread 04-06-2013, 10:37 AM   #42
revelc
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
OK sounds good i was going to drop the pan as well and check everything inside should I put any kinda fluid right in the cylinders? Like marvel or just strait oil
Marvel is the old stand by. Put a cap full in each cylinder with plugs out and turn it over with a 1/2" ratchet with a 3/4" socket in the crank bolt. Or you can do it once your system is primed and leave the plugs out and turn it over a few times with the coil unplugged so nothing gets zapped. The put the plugs back in and fire it up for the first time. Be sure you idle it up to about 2,000 rpm and fluctuate the revs between 2-3,000 for 20 minutes. This is critical.
Unread 04-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #43
93ZJDave
1993 ZJ 

So it lives the timing was 180 out and still needs some work on the timing but it fired up I found an old distributor from my grand Cherokee and used it as the tool to prime the system my drill did the job I took the valve covers off and primed it and watched oil come out the push rods after awhile of tinkering with it got it to fire up its sounded pretty good for sitting that long and it didn't blow up lol. I'm sure I did a few things wrong but it worked lol got the oil pump primed good and it didn't knock or tick at all didnt really run it long just to get it to fire. The timing still isn't quite right but I'll figure it out then.

Unread 04-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #44
revelc
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
So it lives the timing was 180 out and still needs some work on the timing but it fired up I found an old distributor from my grand Cherokee and used it as the tool to prime the system my drill did the job I took the valve covers off and primed it and watched oil come out the push rods after awhile of tinkering with it got it to fire up its sounded pretty good for sitting that long and it didn't blow up lol. I'm sure I did a few things wrong but it worked lol got the oil pump primed good and it didn't knock or tick at all didnt really run it long just to get it to fire. The timing still isn't quite right but I'll figure it out then.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra9vLxycuQo
Awesome! Glad you could prime it without any issues.

Sounds like its going to be a healthy motor.

Once you get it running don't fall into temptation and rev it up. Break it in first. Then be easy on it for the first thousand miles or so.
Unread 04-06-2013, 06:07 PM   #45
93ZJDave
1993 ZJ 

Man I'm so happy it fired up lol it took quite some time to figure out the timing I managed to get it primed using my cordless drill it put a good load on it but it pumped the oil through all the pushrods so I figured it was good to go it sounded awesome my dad was happy to see it run after such a long time my uncle doesn't know yet once I see him I'll have to show him the video I'm glad I upgraded the carb over that junk 2 bbl lol can't wait to get it fine tuned and get the radiator in and what not.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.