help with my chief. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > help with my chief.

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-11-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
93ZJDave
1993 ZJ 

help with my chief.

So i started on my chief and it hasnt been touched it over 20 years the wiring harness is a mess so i replaced the harness with a spare i still cant seem to get the motor to turn over i tried everything and cant seem to even get it to click any idea what im doing wrong? Maybe something isnt grounded right i even tried jumping the solenoid and nothing

93ZJDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2013, 10:50 PM   #2
dbabicky
1975 J-Series Truck 

Have you tried to manually turn it over with a breaker bar/socket on the crank?
Unread 03-11-2013, 11:59 PM   #3
93ZJDave
1993 ZJ 

Yeah i had the motor down to bare block it turns by hand but the electrical its kinda a mess my uncle started a frame up 22 years ago and i got it now to finish it and well its a mess lol i have a chilton manual which helps a bit im pretty sure the harness is wired right i cant get the starter to work i have a spare starter and it dont work either i gotta be missing something
Unread 03-12-2013, 12:35 AM   #4
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

We totally need the year

For the starter to go, you have wire from battery to solenoid, large wire from other side of solenoid to starter, and groudf from starter/engine to battery. You already know how to jump the solenoid, so if you have those wires and good connection, you should be able to get the starter to engage.
Unread 03-12-2013, 11:52 AM   #5
93ZJDave
1993 ZJ 

Sorry its a 1979 chief with a 360 quadratrac and th400. I have the wire from the battery to the solenoid then from the solenoid to the starter i have the negative going to a bolt on the head and the smaller wire grounded on the fender well. I can get the solenoid to click but thats it but thats when i jump power to the smaller post on the top of the solenoid if i jump it from post to post to bypass the solenoid nothing happens.
Unread 03-12-2013, 05:49 PM   #6
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

Check for continuity on your wires. They could be broken in the middle and look fine.
Unread 03-12-2013, 06:46 PM   #7
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Has either starter been bench tested? Have you checked the solenoid wire for continuity?
RockRollin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2013, 07:07 PM   #8
93ZJDave
1993 ZJ 

Unread 03-12-2013, 07:15 PM   #9
93ZJDave
1993 ZJ 

No i havent done any of that im new to this jeep it tried jumping both starters with jumper cables ground on the body and positive on the terminal and nothing im not sure what up maybe i have a bad ground or something the jeep was a project of my uncle and he never finished it sat since 1990 untouched so who know whats wrong i tried startingnit witg the key only the brake lights comes on. The jeep its stripped right now so there not much in or on it most of the wiring isnt installed.
Unread 03-12-2013, 08:23 PM   #10
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

I would make sure the starters are working before I started chasing wires. Chasing shorts is my least favorite thing on a vehicle btw
Unread 03-12-2013, 08:28 PM   #11
93ZJDave
1993 ZJ 

Is there a way to see if a starters good or should i just take it to get it tested? 20 years ago when they were working on it everything was new so pretty much everything was new 20 years ago but that dont mean much.
Unread 03-12-2013, 10:05 PM   #12
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Could take it in and test. I've done it with jumper cables, but it always has spooked me a little
Unread 03-12-2013, 10:17 PM   #13
93ZJDave
1993 ZJ 

I tried jumper cables on both the starters i have i clip the negative to a bolt ear on the start and positive to the brass post on it and and i get nothing maybe from sitting there shot
Unread 03-14-2013, 01:39 AM   #14
dbabicky
1975 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93ZJDave View Post
I tried jumper cables on both the starters i have i clip the negative to a bolt ear on the start and positive to the brass post on it and and i get nothing maybe from sitting there shot
Starter's shot !
Unread 03-14-2013, 12:36 PM   #15
93ZJDave
1993 ZJ 

I had a feeling it was ill look into a new one figures that i have 2 here and they are both bad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.