Help! I am an Oil Pressure sending Unit and I am lost! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Help! I am an Oil Pressure sending Unit and I am lost!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 12-18-2011, 07:52 AM   #1
Deepair3

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Help! I am an Oil Pressure sending Unit and I am lost!

Guys in the Wrangler Forum told me to try here...
Trying to wire the Oil Pressure sending unit on my newly purchased 88 YJ. It has an AMC 360 and I have searched online and around the engine and I can NOT find the canister sending unit. I have found the switch above the Oil Filter, but am at a loss as to where the sender is. Please help. Also does anyone know which wire coming from the firewall is from the Gauge? I think the Green one.....

Deepair3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2011, 11:58 AM   #2
MikeW77

The sending unit is just above the oil filter. I checked and my wire is either purple or brown. Hard to tell because of its age. Could have even been orange at some point. Go to oljeep.com for complete wiring diagrams. However, it may or may not apply in your situation. That depends on whether or not the harness was transplanted with you engine swap.
MikeW77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2011, 07:04 AM   #3
Deepair3

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, sending unit above the filter....We hooked up the green wire that it shows in Chilton for the Wrangler to be for the Gauge, and we hooked the other prong to a ground and the gauge went from reading 80 to reading zero. We are assuming that means the sending unit is bad. It had been reading 80 when the jeep was running. Any suggestions on removing and replacing that sending unit? Wait until I change the oil or will a socket fit around it with out removing anything? Also, will this leak a bunch of oil if I remove it before doing an oil change? I know this sounds pretty rookie... But thanks!
Unread 12-19-2011, 07:38 AM   #4
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepair3 View Post
Ok, sending unit above the filter....We hooked up the green wire that it shows in Chilton for the Wrangler to be for the Gauge, and we hooked the other prong to a ground and the gauge went from reading 80 to reading zero. We are assuming that means the sending unit is bad. It had been reading 80 when the jeep was running. Any suggestions on removing and replacing that sending unit? Wait until I change the oil or will a socket fit around it with out removing anything? Also, will this leak a bunch of oil if I remove it before doing an oil change? I know this sounds pretty rookie... But thanks!

My Grand Wagoneer is an 87(AMC 360), but it only has ONE wire for the oil preasure sending unit/gauge.

You mentioned that the gauge "had been reading 80 when the jeep was running." If we were talking about a stock wagoneer, this would indicate that the sending unit was not hooked up, or there was a break in the wire.
And, the fact that it's now reading zero, makes me think that the sending unit wire has been grounded. (like maybe the wire that you hooked to ground, should have gone to the sending unit).

In a stock wagoneer, If the oil preasure gauge sees full ground, like if you unhooked the wire from the sending unit, and touched it directly to the block, or frame, the gauge would read ZERO. And, if you just unhooked it all together, so the wire was not touching anything, the gauge would peg all the way at 80.
Unread 12-19-2011, 11:07 AM   #5
Deepair3

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Ok... Mine has two male ends coming out of it. The gauge was reading 80 when it was unhooked. I have again unhooked it. If the second prong isn't a ground what is it? Dashboard light? ANd if so any way to tell which one goes to which?
Unread 12-19-2011, 12:07 PM   #6
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

OK, sense the engine has been swapped into the wrangler, I have no way of knowing what was kept stock, and what has been changed.

In stock form, there should be TWO seperate things neer the oil filter, that have wires attached to them.
The OIL PRESSURE SENDING UNIT (this makes the gauge work) , it's "can" shaped, with ONE wire connecting to it.

The second is the OIL PRESSURE SWITCH (This prevents the electric choke from activating unless there is oil pressure). It is kind of "flat disk" shaped, and has TWO wires connecting to it.

Here's a picture (88 grand wagoneer with 360)that I found online, the sending unit(for the gauge) is on the left. The switch (for the choke) is on the right.

EDIT: Seeing that you recently purchased the jeep, does it have aftermarket gauges?
Are there any small tubes coming from the engine, and going through the firewall? If someone added a mechanical oil pressure gauge, it's possible that they removed the stock sending unit.

I didn't drive my jeep to work today, but I can take a look when I get home and see what colors the wires are on both the sender and the switch.
Unread 12-19-2011, 12:19 PM   #7
Deepair3

1988 YJ Wrangler 

BINGO!

Ok that is what I needed! Mine has only the switch, which I don't know that I need. I have an edelbrock carb. unless someone can tell me how. Will the sender ( bell shaped ) fit in the switch's location? I so appreciate your help so far. We spent a few hours yesterday cleaning up the wiring. This is the only gauge that doesn't work.
Unread 12-19-2011, 12:22 PM   #8
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

As long as the threads are the same, it should fit.
Just take the switch out and take it with you when you go to pick up the sending unit. compare the threads before you purchase.
Unread 12-19-2011, 12:28 PM   #9
Deepair3

1988 YJ Wrangler 

It's not going to leak.... I used to have an old 260Z and I replaced that one a couple times and it didn't.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.