Help! Help! Help! Big VIN Number Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Help! Help! Help! Big VIN Number Problem

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-15-2013, 03:08 PM   #1
69javy

Help! Help! Help! J20 VIN Number Problem

I just purchased a 1978 Jeep J20 from Idaho and shipped it here to Georgia. The title has a mistake in the VIN. I call the owner and he swears the local policeman and himself read the VIN from the dash. I can not find a VIN on the dash but I can find it on the door and the firewall. Both say the last number is a 6 whereas the title says it's the letter L (yeah, I know). Not sure what the issue is but I'm convince there never was a VIN on the dash but need to convince this guy who's 2300 miles away. Should the 78 J20 have a VIN on the dash? If so, where the heck is it as both my brother and I have looked everywhere for it with a flashlight. If not, is there any documentation out there that can support it never being there for this year and model?

Any help is appreciated as I can't drive this thing until the whole title issue is cleared. Thanks!

Last edited by 69javy; 05-15-2013 at 03:44 PM..
69javy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 08:35 PM   #2
CSP

Perhaps he means the firewall instead of the dash.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 11:44 AM   #3
69javy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
Perhaps he means the firewall instead of the dash.
After an hour on the phone with this guy, he means the dash. Does anyone have documentation that confirms a 1978 Jeep J20 should or should not have a dash VIN?
Unread 05-16-2013, 05:00 PM   #4
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

I have a 1977 J-10 (close enough?). There is a metallic type sticker on the drivers side door jam (b-pillar?) that gives tire size and inflation info and the VIN #. Under the hood on the drivers side firewall is a metal plate, riveted on, that has the VIN # and other info. There is NO VIN number on the dash under the windshield. There is a rubber weatherstrip at the base of the windshield that goes over the dash pad. The last 6 characters of the VIN number should be numbers.
Does that help?
Unread 05-16-2013, 05:18 PM   #5
69javy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrs1 View Post
I have a 1977 J-10 (close enough?). There is a metallic type sticker on the drivers side door jam (b-pillar?) that gives tire size and inflation info and the VIN #. Under the hood on the drivers side firewall is a metal plate, riveted on, that has the VIN # and other info. There is NO VIN number on the dash under the windshield. There is a rubber weatherstrip at the base of the windshield that goes over the dash pad. The last 6 characters of the VIN number should be numbers.
Does that help?
It does help. And is too funny. I need you to talk to the guy as well. I said the exact same thing to him. At least I have confirmation of the no dash tag. Now I just need to find some sort of authoritative source like an owners manual or chiltons book that confirms.

I sent the guy pics of the dash today. I've also got a 3rd party talking to the local dmv for me in Idaho. Maybe something will convince him. If not, I'll continue to look for the source. Thanks for the letting me know I'm not crazy.
Unread 05-16-2013, 05:44 PM   #6
CSP

Go here and look at section 0A. On pg.4 of the .pdf file there's a paragraph telling where the vin tag is and has an example of it. This is a '76 factory service manual and the VIN tag location stayed the same until '81 or 82. http://oljeep.com/edge_76_tsm.html
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 07:45 PM   #7
revelc
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

I'd run both sets of VINs. The truck may have been stolen or salvaged and they have you a different title.

Best of luck.
Unread 05-17-2013, 05:22 AM   #8
69javy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
Go here and look at section 0A. On pg.4 of the .pdf file there's a paragraph telling where the vin tag is and has an example of it. This is a '76 factory service manual and the VIN tag location stayed the same until '81 or 82. http://oljeep.com/edge_76_tsm.html
Now that's what I'm looking for Much thanks!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.