HELP! First GW Purchase - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 03-22-2010, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
2staffi
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

HELP! First GW Purchase

I am going to look at an 87 Grand Wagoneer on Wednesday (3-24-10). I have seen in many pictures that the body is rust free and have been told that the frame is the same. I was wondering if there is anything else that I should take note of/look for before I buy it and drive it home?

I also did some research today and found that the 360 v8, due to the fuel crunch at the time, only has 144hp. Is this true? Am I going to have a power issue? Is there a way to open it up without killing mileage?

I also know that it will need paint and wood. I am ok with paint. I can't seem to find the wood and trim without the trim being thinner than OEM. Is there some place that I am not looking?

Last edited by 2staffi; 03-23-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-23-2010, 05:00 PM
Karl_V
2008 JK Wrangler 

Sorry about my long winded response

OK! Lets see what we can work with here. First as far as better performance I'd start with a basic intake and exhaust. Manifold up on intake(as much as it pains me to say K&N is probly the best bet) summit or jegs should stock one that bolts up, and I'd recomend headers and all on the exhaust. A set of shorties to an H(or better yet X pipe) with cats. That may take some searching but would make a better sound and allow things to flow alot better and easier. Lastly from the H pipe back I would think any custom exhaust shop would be able to do that. You may or may not notice a drop or increase in fuel mileage it depends on so much. Now I'd recomend an MSD set-up for ignition and a head swap if funds allow. you would definately notice a lower MPG after the heads but thats because they not only flow air better but fuel as well. In the end it all depends on how much money you want to or can throw at it.

As for the wood refinishing is not a difficult task but not one to be taken lightly. If you refinish my personal recomendation would be Schooner Varnish made by Interlux with a 1000 1500 and 2000 grit wet sanding between coats.(I personally used the 4 coat 3 sand method on a 36 ford woodie and i has gone on to be a Dearborn award winning vehicle) As for Reproduction did you try BJs Offroad or Team Grand Wagoneer. This can be expensive but can make it spot on . Once again it all depends on how much money u wanna throw at it

Sorry about the long winded response!

I am way to sober to be working like this!

Dont underestimate the other guy he may be pulling you out later!
post #3 of 5 Old 03-23-2010, 05:34 PM
gnarlytoes
1977 FSJ Cherokee 

I have an extra Edelbrock aluminum 4bbl intake for amc V-8 I don't need if you decide to go that route.

post #4 of 5 Old 03-23-2010, 09:56 PM
Eric_B_1984
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

how much for the intake?
But also, I have done quite a bit of research on the forum and tried many of them that I can afford. If you want to maintain the 2bbl setup Holly makes a 500cfm 2bbl that bolts right up using that and a Thrush turbo welded single in dual out I gained a few hp and a few mpg if I can keep my foot out of the loud pedal I can see as much as 12-13mpg. But also with 296,000 on the engine, on the dyno I was pulling about 160hp and 185ft torque. Which is funny because my S10 with a 2.8 v6 pulls 175hp and 236ft torque. But I also need a 4bbl intake for that so I can use a carb I have I don't just want to use an adapter plate.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-08-2010, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
2staffi
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

First, Thanks Karl!

The first Wagoneer was a no go. I am going to look at another this Friday. Same price, better condition. If all goes well by this time tomorrow I will be a proud owner of my first jeep!

Wish me luck!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.