HELP! Crank pulley wobble - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > HELP! Crank pulley wobble

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 04-09-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
revelc
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

HELP! Crank pulley wobble

Does anyone know if the harmonic balancer needs to be balanced if I replace it?

The old one started making noise and wobbling last night.

The crank pulley vibrates and makes noise above 2,000 rpm and the belts chirp. It's visibly moving at idle.

Unread 04-09-2013, 01:13 PM   #2
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

All pully bolts in, crank bolt tight? Is the center section of balancer turning true.
RockRollin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
timgr
1975 CJ6 

They can be rebuilt. There's a rubber zone between the hub and the pulleys. When that comes apart, they go wobbly.

http://www.damperdoctor.com/Merchant...egory_Code=HAR

Or find a good used one. They are either good or bad - you can't do anything to them yourself.
1) '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps. 2) '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, KOs, 7600 GVWR 3) '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top 4) '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #4
revelc
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

The bolts are tight. But I tried removing it with a traditional puller we had on hand and it pulled the outer section forward. You can see the rubber sticking out the back and under hard acceleration last night it started to make the noise. I am sure the vibration and noise was the balancer slipping on the rubber under load. Now looking at it idle from the side of the engine compartment you can see it wobbling.

I called Bulltear and he said I should replace it before my trip back to Texas. He also said the stock balancers are so close in terms of weight I shouldn't have to rebalance it. He didn't carry any so he recommended summit.

$150 later I should have a new one by tomorrow.
I am confident that there will be nothing original on this thing when I'm done with it.

The only OEM items left are the exhaust manifolds, front and rear axles, brakes, power steering pump (about to be replaced, pouring fluid) , starter, and alternator. The last three are supposed to be the first things everyone replaces lol.
Unread 04-15-2013, 07:14 AM   #5
revelc
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc
The bolts are tight. But I tried removing it with a traditional puller we had on hand and it pulled the outer section forward. You can see the rubber sticking out the back and under hard acceleration last night it started to make the noise. I am sure the vibration and noise was the balancer slipping on the rubber under load. Now looking at it idle from the side of the engine compartment you can see it wobbling.

I called Bulltear and he said I should replace it before my trip back to Texas. He also said the stock balancers are so close in terms of weight I shouldn't have to rebalance it. He didn't carry any so he recommended summit.

$150 later I should have a new one by tomorrow.
I am confident that there will be nothing original on this thing when I'm done with it.

The only OEM items left are the exhaust manifolds, front and rear axles, brakes, power steering pump (about to be replaced, pouring fluid) , starter, and alternator. The last three are supposed to be the first things everyone replaces lol.
Update:
Just in case anyone else runs into this. I have an AMC 401 in my Wag. The only balancer I found that didn't cost over $300 that could be overnighted was made by professional products. It has an interchangeable counterweight for the different engine. I would recommend NOT using it. I ran into an issue with it bottoming out and the protruding counterweight was hitting my timing cover if I would have ran it it would have eaten my timing cover in seconds. So I had to risk it and only tighten it to where it had just enough clearance and used thread locker it also lined up with the belt grooves when I did this so the crank balancer needs more meat behind the flange so it won't bottom out. Their customer service guy just say there and said,"Uh, well..... I don't know what to tell you." It held up and I made it home but again. Would not recommend this set up to anyone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.