Help with 4WD and BRAKE light indicators - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Help with 4WD and BRAKE light indicators

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 01-16-2014, 08:53 PM   #1
Gante

Help with 4WD and BRAKE light indicators

Guys,
I am having a few minor issues on my 91 Waggy.

My 4WD light does not light up when 4WD is selected. The 4WD works and the light bulb for the indicator is also working (tested bulb)... What would I need to check now to figure out why this is not lighting up?

Also, the BRAKE light indicator only turns On for a few seconds when I start the truck, the it turns off... I wanted to check any issues with a brake switch but I didn't see it anywhere on the emergency brake assembly. Where is it exactly and what else could be the issue?
Thank you,

Gante is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2014, 05:58 AM   #2
vanaisa
1974 FSJ Cherokee 

Isnt this, how brake light should work?
In start you see that it is operational and if always on, you have problems with brake system...
vanaisa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2014, 06:57 AM   #3
Gante

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanaisa
Isnt this, how brake light should work? In start you see that it is operational and if always on, you have problems with brake system...
I am referring to the brake light indicator on the dash that reads "BREAKE"... I believe this is the one to indicate your emergency break is "On", correct?
Unread 01-17-2014, 06:58 AM   #4
Gante

Hahaha!! I can't even spell correctly... I little to early. I mean "Brake" on my previous post.
Unread 01-17-2014, 07:07 AM   #5
vanaisa
1974 FSJ Cherokee 

Well at least in my 74 Cherokee it was lit only when one brake hose was cut.
vanaisa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2014, 12:52 PM   #6
gcarson64
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

On my 1988 GW i blew a rear brake line and the light came on. I do not believe it is there for the E brake, but is a warning light to let you know there is a problem in the brake Hydraulic system. Hope this helps. It will come on for a couple seconds when the ignition key is turned on to test it is in working condition and then go out.
gcarson64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2014, 06:04 PM   #7
Gante

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcarson64
On my 1988 GW i blew a rear brake line and the light came on. I do not believe it is there for the E brake, but is a warning light to let you know there is a problem in the brake Hydraulic system. Hope this helps. It will come on for a couple seconds when the ignition key is turned on to test it is in working condition and then go out.
In that case, I am glad the light is off. I really thought this was for the E brake. Thank you guys for educating me on this lib dictator.

How about the 4x4 indicator? The indicator bulb and 4x4 work fine. I checked an electrical connector that goes to the transfer case to ensure it is connected. What else do I need to check to fix that indicator?
Unread 01-18-2014, 06:57 PM   #8
gcarson64
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

Idk about the 4x4 light. It sounds like the switch that turns the light on is jammed or went bad. I not sure where the switch is, could be in the transfer case or on the lever in the cab. A repair manual might say.
Unread 01-18-2014, 07:28 PM   #9
DotJumper
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

Well, on my '88 the "BRAKE" light is an indicator that the parking brake is on. Just confirmed. I'm sure is also an indicator for low pressure in the brake system.

Since you confirmed the bulb, I'd go to the parking brake. A wire runs down there for the switch. Put a ground to the wire. If the "BRAKE" light goes on, then the issue is with the switch or parking brake grounding. If not then you have an issue between the parking brake switch and the light.

If you have a multi-meter for testlight, it's good idea to confirm the switch. Ensure is providing ground when the parking brake is depressed. If not check the parking brake assembly to ensure it has a good ground. If it is, replace switch.

As for the 4x4 indicator light, on the NP229, the indicator switch is towards the bottom of the Tcase nearer the rear. Start there. I had a wire issue since they had evidently layed on the exhaust at some point.
DotJumper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2014, 10:31 AM   #10
super98lsc
Web Wheeler
1999 WJ 

Your correct it's multifunction comes on for low fluid, pressure as well as the parking brake. My 90 is the same way.
===================================
00 WJ 4x4, 4.7 stroker, turbocharged,..lots more..
01 WJ 4x2 4.7v8 Limited (needs valve job)
90 Grand Wagoneer 401 Edelbrock Heads, Lunati .510/.527 FT Cam, Edelbrock RPM Air Gap, Holley HP 750, Thorley Headers, HEI, Electric Fan w Digital controller,4" lift 31x10.50 Goodyear Duratrac's on Pro-Comp Wheels,new interior, seats,seals,Alpine and JL full system, Remote HEI, Clifford 2 way with remote start,windows,tailgate.
96 Cherokee Country 4dr/2x2 White/Tan 3" Lift Sahara 18" Wheels 32.5"'s 99up head and intake- for sale soon!
super98lsc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2014, 12:52 PM   #11
gcarson64
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

Thats good to know that its for the parking brake also. I almost never use the parking brake. In the rare occasion that i did, i released it before turning the key to on so i wouldn't have seen the light.
Unread 02-06-2014, 07:15 PM   #12
Gante

I am still trying to figure out why these indicators don't turn On when they should. As I said, I have checked the light bulb and they are good... Is there anything else I could check? Is there a fuse somewhere specific to these two lights?
Unread 02-07-2014, 01:28 PM   #13
jamesmega
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

Mine weren't working but started working when I changed the bulbs (I know that doesn't help). But I also sprayed everything down with an electric cleaner and then added dielectric to the round and flat wire connectors. Maybe it'll help.
jamesmega is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.