Heater fan noise after new motor install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Heater fan noise after new motor install

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-15-2014, 01:57 PM   #1
earlb74

1986 FSJ Wagoneer 

Heater fan noise after new motor install

Hi, I just got around to replacing the heater motor on my 86 Wagoneer due to the sound of bearing going bad. I replaced everything "pretty easy task" but now I have a sound of the wheel hitting the box it goes in?? Any help would be appreciated.

earlb74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2014, 07:28 AM   #2
DotJumper
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

I had that issue. I had to space the fan about 1/8" away from the motor on the shaft...if I remember right.
DotJumper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2014, 07:29 AM   #3
earlb74

1986 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJumper View Post
I had that issue. I had to space the fan about 1/8" away from the motor on the shaft...if I remember right.
Thanks for the reply, I will try that this evening.
Unread 01-16-2014, 09:07 AM   #4
usererror
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Were you able to pick up a new fan motor at any auto parts place or did you have to special order it? I need to replace mine as well since it is quite loud.
usererror is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2014, 09:10 AM   #5
earlb74

1986 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by usererror View Post
Were you able to pick up a new fan motor at any auto parts place or did you have to special order it? I need to replace mine as well since it is quite loud.
I purchased mine at the local O'Reilly Auto parts store, have them cross reference part # 8128778
Unread 01-16-2014, 10:03 AM   #6
super98lsc
Web Wheeler
1999 WJ 

There are two motors on the later model GWs. One under hood for heater and one inside for AC. First week I had mine I was like wait... No noise on ac mode but howls like hell on heater... Rofl
===================================
00 WJ 4x4, 4.7 stroker, turbocharged,..lots more..
01 WJ 4x2 4.7v8 Limited (needs valve job)
90 Grand Wagoneer 401 Edelbrock Heads, Lunati .510/.527 FT Cam, Edelbrock RPM Air Gap, Holley HP 750, Thorley Headers, HEI, Electric Fan w Digital controller,4" lift 31x10.50 Goodyear Duratrac's on Pro-Comp Wheels,new interior, seats,seals,Alpine and JL full system, Remote HEI, Clifford 2 way with remote start,windows,tailgate.
96 Cherokee Country 4dr/2x2 White/Tan 3" Lift Sahara 18" Wheels 32.5"'s 99up head and intake- for sale soon!
super98lsc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2014, 10:29 AM   #7
usererror
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by super98lsc View Post
There are two motors on the later model GWs. One under hood for heater and one inside for AC. First week I had mine I was like wait... No noise on ac mode but howls like hell on heater... Rofl
Same for me! My growl has become annoying.

My local place has to ship one in for $80. My googling with the part number from EarlB was much better. I'll get this one and support a Wagoneer site instead:

http://www.teamgrandwagoneer.com/hea...-gw-1978-1991/
Unread 01-16-2014, 05:34 PM   #8
earlb74

1986 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJumper View Post
That was it, problem fixed, thanks DotJumper!
Unread 01-18-2014, 01:32 PM   #9
usererror
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

I too used DotJumper's tip about the 1/8" gap! Very happy to have a normal sounding blower again.

I was damn annoyed with myself when I was trying to remove the fan part itself, I broke one of the three plastic pieces. Oh well, I put it into place and got the clamp around it when it was on the shaft of the blower. I suppose I'll look for another one on ebay one of these days.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.