Heater/Defroster problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Heater/Defroster problem

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 12-15-2003, 09:20 PM   #1
Dave Locke

Heater/Defroster problem

Greetings!

I'm a newbie to this forum. I've just bought a rather well-preserved 1968 Kaiser Jeep Wagoneer four-wheel-drive with Warn lock-o-matics on it--and with approx 35,000 original miles. (Yep! this is the FIRST time around on the odometer! And there are enough documents to prove it! To say nothing of how it runs, which is like new. Also, NO rust anywhere. Rubber components granted are shot--and I also may need to do a valveguide seal job pretty soon!) It has the Rambler 327 ci 8 cylinder motor, coupled to an automatic tranny and manual transfer. For the most part things seem to be working rather well.

All in all, I'm finding it to be a wonderful car!

My chief problem now is that I cannot get the heater output to go to the defroster vents at the windshield. The appropriate button on the control cluster won't even stay in. The heater otherwise works admirably! The fan comes on, and other controls work normally.

Is this all done through manifold vacuum, which seems to be the case at a glance--or is it a matter of cabling? Do I need to be looking for a cracked vacuum line, or a missing or maladjusted cable?

I figure that it is best to ask those with experience before poking and prodding under the dash, and thus save some time standing on my head under there! Any light shed on this matter I will heartily appreciate!

Many thanks in advance!

Dave

Dave Locke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2003, 06:13 PM   #2
bigchief

heater controls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Locke
Greetings!

I'm a newbie to this forum. I've just bought a rather well-preserved 1968 Kaiser Jeep Wagoneer four-wheel-drive with Warn lock-o-matics on it--and with approx 35,000 original miles. (Yep! this is the FIRST time around on the odometer! And there are enough documents to prove it! To say nothing of how it runs, which is like new. Also, NO rust anywhere. Rubber components granted are shot--and I also may need to do a valveguide seal job pretty soon!) It has the Rambler 327 ci 8 cylinder motor, coupled to an automatic tranny and manual transfer. For the most part things seem to be working rather well.

My chief problem now is that I cannot get the heater output to go to the defroster vents at the windshield. The appropriate button on the control cluster won't even stay in. The heater otherwise works admirably! The fan comes on, and other controls work normally

Is this all done through manifold vacuum, which seems to be the case at a glance--or is it a matter of cabling? Do I need to be looking for a cracked vacuum line, or a missing or maladjusted cable?

I figure that it is best to ask those with experience before poking and prodding under the dash, and thus save some time standing on my head under there! Any light shed on this matter I will heartily appreciate!

Many thanks in advance!

Dave

Hey and welcome,

I'm not p0ositive if the late 60's trucks used the same control switch but I had the same problem with my 77 Cherokee. Basically the ratchet/lock mechanism for the heater was gummed up from lack of use (in your case a sure bet) I took the controls out of the dash, sprayed it with wd40 and worked all the buttons a few times. Worked fine ever since.
This switch basically directs the vacuum to whichever vacuum motor is needed for the heater or defroster. Good luck!
Unread 12-21-2003, 06:50 PM   #3
Dave Locke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchief
Hey and welcome,

I'm not p0ositive if the late 60's trucks used the same control switch but I had the same problem with my 77 Cherokee. Basically the ratchet/lock mechanism for the heater was gummed up from lack of use (in your case a sure bet) I took the controls out of the dash, sprayed it with wd40 and worked all the buttons a few times. Worked fine ever since.
This switch basically directs the vacuum to whichever vacuum motor is needed for the heater or defroster. Good luck!

Hi,

And thanks for the advice; I'll try it tomorrow morning! Yes, mine is vacuum controlled, I now find! The control panel is to the left of the instrument cluster, with "off", "air" and "def" buttons in vertical array, with a temp up & down lever to the right of those buttons and a rotary fan speed control below all. The "air" button is the only one that will latch, which makes me think that you are right about the gumming-up from disuse. I did some further troubleshooting after my previous letter, and found that there is no vacuum admitted to the defrost gate diaphragm--even if the "def" button is held in. I've teed into another vacuum line temporarily to provide the needed vacuum, as winter is happening here. I'll still give your WD-40 idea a try, however. Thanks again!

drl
Dave Locke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2003, 09:20 AM   #4
Anti-Chrysler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Locke
Greetings!

My chief problem now is that I cannot get the heater output to go to the defroster vents at the windshield. The appropriate button on the control cluster won't even stay in. The heater otherwise works admirably! The fan comes on, and other controls work normally.

Many thanks in advance!

Dave
Drop me an email at typhoon@snet.net and I'll help you on this one.
Anti-Chrysler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.