Hard knock in 86 wagoneer 360ci. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Hard knock in 86 wagoneer 360ci.

New Product Release: Flowmaster CA Legal Direct-Fit CatalyPartsHubDirect: Hella LED Lighting, HID Xenon, Headlamps, Hella Rallye 1000 Series 12-Volt/55-Watt Black Magic Halog

Unread 09-16-2010, 04:40 PM   #1
Dannomanno
1986 FSJ Wagoneer 

Hard knock in 86 wagoneer 360ci.

I just bought a Wagoneer yesterday and it has a hard knocking sound can't tell where fron exactly, but when I removed the Valve covers on the passenger side one of the "rocker arm bridges" was broken and gone and two more were cracked. Could this possibly be the source of my problem? And if so are there any key places that I should check for damage? Thanks for your time guys. Also is there any way to remove the lifters without removing the head?

Last edited by Dannomanno; 09-16-2010 at 07:21 PM..
Dannomanno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2010, 07:15 PM   #2
Tom76
1976 FSJ Wagoneer 

Engine noise

Hey there Danno,
sorry you have to deal with something like this the day after your purchase!!! A little back ground would help. Did you buy this beast knowing it needed work? Was there work that was recently done that was brought to your attention at the time of purchase? Have you driven the jeep? If so at what RPM did you notice the noise? Was engine under a load/coasting/idling? Have you drained the oil yet?

Obviously, broken rocker bridges arent something you want to see, are they the cause of your noise?? It depends on the noise. Our AMC 360's rocker arms get torqued to 19 ft/lbs. The main cause for broken rocker bridges is improper installation. You cannot run down one rocker nut on one side of a bridge. It will absolutely break it. They must be installed in pairs due to the bridges, with each nut being turned one revolution at a time until they are seated. Then they can be torqued to 19 ft/lbs. I would say someone had those rockers off for one reason or another.

If your going to pull the lifters then your going to have to pull the intake manifold. You will also need to remove the rocker arms and pushrods( they need pulled anyways due to the broken bridges). With all of that off you should be able to pull the lifters out of their bore with a strong pocket magnet thru the hole the pushrod went thru the head. They will stick due to the oil film on the cam lobes. I have a tool that clips onto the inside of the lifter and makes pulling it out much easier. Matco Tools is where I got mine. While the intake is off..look at your camshaft lobes for improper wear. If you cant recognize wear then get some pictures on here and we'll keep you in the path. Let us know as you progress thru this. Get some answers for the questions above and we'll get this figured out.
Goodluck

Tom
Tom76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2010, 10:05 PM   #3
Dannomanno
1986 FSJ Wagoneer 

Well I think I found the problem.......... I started it to move it after properly installing the new bridges and it promptly blew a hole in the oil pan because the piston had gotted caught or stuck, and the cause, you migh ask????? probably the gallon or so of water that cam pooring out. Now when I checked the dipstick there was no sign of water in the oil and the water that came from the radiator was clean aswell. so....... just gonna buy a runnin 360 from a guy on CL and trow it in hopefully with proper maint. it will live a long and healthy life. anybody wanna donate?
Dannomanno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2010, 11:13 PM   #4
84fsj
1984 FSJ Wagoneer 

man sorry to be reading this. hope all goes well for you.
84fsj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2010, 06:37 AM   #5
Tom76
1976 FSJ Wagoneer 

Sorry about your luck Danno. Cant figure how that happened with only the information presented to us. Is the coolant in the radiator clean and green? What color was the "water" in the engine. When you swap in the motor down the road, don't forget to ensure that the radiator is clean and clear of obstrustions, which is common when they beasts sit. Crud accumulates in the lower tank. If your going to be picking up a motor of unknown history, do a couple of things to inprove its/your chances. Obviously check the oil, if its still installed in a vehicle, work the owner to get them to start it and check oil pressure. Warm it up a little at least and do a compression test. Even if its not in a vehicle, I would still atleast try to look at the condition of the oil and pull off the valve covers. If under the valve covers is full of sludge "heavy black slime" then the engine didn't see too many oil changes. If clean, then you have a fighting chance. If the engine has sat a while I would pull the plugs and get a little oil in each cylinder, no more than a couple of tea spoons each. then see if it turns over with the spark plugs out. It should turn over rather easily since none of the cylinders will be under compression. If you feel any binding or catching or a lot of resistance. I would walk away. Thats not what you want in order to just drop it in. Ok, I'm done blabbing. Good luck on the new project. Keep the chin up. You get that beast running again with a new heart transplant, you'll make up for this misery the first time down the road.

Tom
Tom76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2010, 11:20 AM   #6
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

Got one here in Seattle for $500 with a T18A and NP208 from my '82 J10

'81 Eagle wagon with upgrades $2500
'87 Comanche shortbox 4.0/AW4/NP242 on 33" tires $3500
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
360 , engine knocking , wagoneer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.