GW rear 44 with older Waggy front? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > GW rear 44 with older Waggy front?

Halloween Savings to die for!THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-08-2010, 09:41 AM   #1
jp360cj
1977 CJ7 

GW rear 44 with older Waggy front?

I think I found some axles to swap in my CJ. Found a passenger drop front from a Wagoneer and rear from a Grand Waggy. Both are D44s. I believe the front should be a NT (haven't been able to go look at it yet). Will they be close to the same width to use together?

I looked at the chart under the sticky, but some of the measurements were all over the place. Oh and I don't want to cut them down b/c I want a wider stance for my NT CJ.

Unread 05-08-2010, 10:14 AM   #2
BJ's Off-Road
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

Yes, they should be close enough to the same width if they were both narrowtrack but if we knew a year or the BOM from the front axle I could tell you for sure.
Unread 05-08-2010, 10:32 AM   #3
jp360cj
1977 CJ7 

Not sure about the front. I just know it came out of a Wagoneer with Q-trac. The guy was going to use it under his CJ5, but he went CJ WT instead. Saw the rear at a junkyard yesterday under a Grand Waggy, but didn't have time to check it out.
Unread 05-09-2010, 08:39 AM   #4
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

FSJ NT axles are (IMO) the perfect choice for a medium-duty CJ. The front is what you want - it probably just doesn't have lockouts on it. They are easily swapped in. You are correct that the 86-up Grand Wagoneer D44 is the axle you want to match with the front. It is the same WMS as the rear from the 70's and matches the front you have (think its about 58"-59"), so go get it.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2010, 09:38 AM   #5
jp360cj
1977 CJ7 

Thanks PavementPounder...that's what I was hoping to hear.Going to swap to 5x5.5" so not worried about no lockouts
Unread 05-09-2010, 10:09 AM   #6
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

In that case, I probably would not bother with the FSJ D44 rear. Go get a Scout D44 rear that is already 5x5.5". Should be 58" WMS. Add 1/2" spacers if you want.

I'd consider buying new wheels as an alternate plan. Buying new ones for the 6x5.5" FSJ pattern and selling your old wheels will probably be cheaper than the conversions and you'll have the opportunity to re-choose both wheel style, width, and backspacing to best fit the new axles.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2010, 08:32 AM   #7
CSP

Since one is a Waggy axle and the other from a Grand Waggy they are both narrow track.

Only the J-trucks and Cherokee Chief models had wide track axles.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2010, 10:15 PM   #8
jp360cj
1977 CJ7 

Thanks yall. I'll probably end up going with a Scout rear for the 5 lug. I don't really want to have to buy new rims and i've already got the hubs from my dad's old Ford for the front.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.