Goodbye Quadtrac, Hello ______? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Goodbye Quadtrac, Hello ______?

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-11-2014, 07:20 AM   #1
74FSJ

Goodbye Quadtrac, Hello ______?

I am in the process of swapping out my Quadtrac for a 1974 Cherokee. I have recently purchased a Dana 20 that came with a TH400 adapter on it. Once I got it home, I realized that the output shaft from the factory for the TH400 is a 10 spline and much too long to be used with new adapter and transfer case. I have now read that the Dana 18 is what should be used for this conversion, as D20 binds.

Besides the Dana 18, are there other adapters and transfer case conversions that will work with the stock output shaft?

Anyone have any other option besides the Dana 18?

Any information and links to websites would be much appreciated in getting this done.

Thanks in advance,

EBM

74FSJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2014, 10:13 AM   #2
whtshos
1982 J-Series Truck 

Another good place to ask is FSJNETWORK or browse IFSJA.
The TH400 with QT shaft is not simple to work with.
02 WJ LTD 4.0 2WD (baby girls)
whtshos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2014, 06:57 PM   #3
jamesdart
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

as far as I know, there is no other transfer case that works with the stock qt output. you have to change your output shaft. rebuild the th400 while your at it. I replaced mine with a 700r4 and dana 300.
jamesdart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2014, 08:28 AM   #4
ghcoe
1977 FSJ Cherokee 

You are stuck with the Quadratrac unless you want to change out the output shaft or transmission at the same time. What is wrong with the QT? It is a good solid case and has a lower final ratio than the Dana 18/20(see below). If you go to a Dana 18/20 you are going to a part time case which you can make the QT with the Mile Marker part time conversion. With the Mile Marker kit you would still have a great case, lighter and lower final drive than Dana 18/20. No other mods other than installing the kit which is easier than installing a new output shaft on that TH400.

http://www.t-r-j.com/Auto/QT/quadratrac.htm

1339 2.57:1
18 1.98:1, 2.42:1, 2.46:1
20 2.03:1

1977 Jeep Cherokee Chief, 1972 360cid., Turbo 400 , Quadra Trac with Low Range reduction, 3:31 Gears, 31x10.5-15 GT Radial Adventuro AT II. Factory Brush Guard/Spare Tire Carrier/Safari Kit/Tow Package.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f57/1...chief-1749666/
ghcoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2014, 08:59 AM   #5
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74FSJ View Post
Besides the Dana 18, are there other adapters and transfer case conversions that will work with the stock output shaft?
If you're thinking that the Dana 18 works with the Qtrac output, that would be incorrect. As others have said you're stuck swapping the output with any other tcase.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2014, 12:05 PM   #6
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Yup, you have to find yourself a D20 transmission, or a short output shaft. If your trans is fresh/good you can pull it one night, pull it apart and reassemble the next day, and then put it back up. It's a bunch of work, but just simply pulling it apart isnt all that bad or complicated.

Otherwise, q trac it is!

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2014, 12:56 PM   #7
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
Yup, you have to find yourself a D20 transmission, or a short output shaft.
I'm guessing you mean a TH400 transmission that originally had a D20 behind it?
Unread 01-12-2014, 02:11 PM   #8
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
I'm guessing you mean a TH400 transmission that originally had a D20 behind it?
correct, a transmission that was bolted to a D20.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 01-12-2014, 06:29 PM   #9
SBpunk
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Not to mention finding a new rear axle that doesnt have the off set
4:10 Gears
2 Inch Budget Boost.
SBpunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2014, 06:31 PM   #10
jamesdart
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

technically, couldn't you get any 4wd t400, like from a chevy? something like out of an 80s fs chevy, pull the output shaft from the trans and use the adapter and transfer case. 208, 203, 205, 241, as long as it has a mechanical speedo and passenger side drop.
Unread 01-12-2014, 07:03 PM   #11
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBpunk View Post
Not to mention finding a new rear axle that doesnt have the off set
That's really not an issue with the FSJ's because of the length of the rear driveshaft. The angles stay well within the usable operating angles of the ujoints.
Unread 01-12-2014, 07:18 PM   #12
jamesdart
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

i drove and wheeled mine all year with centered output d300 and the offset rear 44 no vibes, it cruises pretty good on the highway too. 75-80 no prob.
Unread 01-13-2014, 03:09 PM   #13
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
That's really not an issue with the FSJ's because of the length of the rear driveshaft. The angles stay well within the usable operating angles of the ujoints.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdart View Post
i drove and wheeled mine all year with centered output d300 and the offset rear 44 no vibes, it cruises pretty good on the highway too. 75-80 no prob.
Yeah. I am running a Qtrack rear end with a stock D20 centered output. I get minor minor vibes on the highway under load, but am pretty sure it's more to do with the driveshaft being 100% extended than anything else. Also, i'm lifted a good 4", which obviously exacerbates any potential issues.

Unread 01-21-2014, 10:28 PM   #14
runningonempty
2004 WJ 

Ok guys, I'm a bit thick so bear with me. I have a '75 and '76 wag., stock. What you guys are saying is that there isn't a replacment for the QT, correct? The only change would be a milemarker part time kit, right? Okay how about the tranny? Could I keep the qt, but change the tranny to something like a GM-700 4 or 5 speed? Or how about a 4 speed manual? No way jose?
runningonempty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2014, 10:16 AM   #15
CSP

You can adapt many transmissions to accept the Quadratrac transfer case. There are none that it will bolt directly up to, and likewise there are no other transfer cases that will bolt directly up to the transmission that you have.

Look in the knowledge base link at www.novakadapt.com for specifics.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.