Gauge Problems in my 84 J10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Gauge Problems in my 84 J10

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 01-11-2014, 12:23 PM   #1
Mack83
1984 J-Series Truck 

Gauge Problems in my 84 J10

The fuel and temp gauges are not working in my jeep. I Believe my oil pressure gauge is not reading very accurately either!

I have read that the tempature gauge has a constant voltage regulator, and if its is bad none of the other gauges will work except speedo and ammeter.

What is really aggravating is I have intermittent voltage to the back of the fuel gauge and all the rest of the gauges for that matter. It will have voltage (12v) for about 3-5 seconds and about 15 seconds between intervals. When I do have voltage it is not there long enough to move the gauges. Now, I did hook a 9 volt battery to the gauges and they did work. Im pretty sure its not a sending unit issue, for the fact that im not getting constant power to the gauges. Saying that I believe that the round pin connector may be the issue.

Does anyone have an accurate schematic for the round pin connector that is on the back of that for that year? I believe someone changed the cluster so I am concerned I may have some wiring mixed up.

Does anyone know what cluster or have a pic of the cluster that is supposed to be in that year of J10. I also have an extra cluster, but the speedometer goes to 100mph, but the one in the jeep goes to 85mph. If that helps? Another thing, the one in the jeep has symbols for the different gauges, the other spells out what each gauge is!

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Mack83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2014, 09:00 PM   #2
Mack83
1984 J-Series Truck 

I think I might have found part or maybe all of my problem. I found a relay deal under the dash. Not sure if it is a relay but it is round and about a 3/4 inch in dia by 1 and a 1/2inch. Has the numbers (SF5459298) inked on the side of it and it is only 3 prongs.

CAN ANYONE IDENTIFY THAT PART FOR ME?
Mack83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2014, 05:27 PM   #3
JrTjK
1985 CJ7 

doing a quick search, that part number came up as a seat belt relay.
JrTjK is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.