Full-Size Jeep Axle Identification! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Full-Size Jeep Axle Identification!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 09-12-2011, 09:11 AM   #31
BJ's Off-Road
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj95mj88 View Post
I just bought waggy 44's front and rear for 350. the person i got them off of doesnt know the year of the truck and before i start buying for the rebuild would the BOM number help identify the year? Its 610283-1. thanks for the help
1987-88 Grand Wagoneer with 2.72 gears.

Unread 09-12-2011, 09:17 AM   #32
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj95mj88 View Post
I just bought waggy 44's front and rear for 350. the person i got them off of doesnt know the year of the truck and before i start buying for the rebuild would the BOM number help identify the year? Its 610283-1. thanks for the help
You can do it yourself right here:

http://www2.dana.com/expertforms/demenu.aspx

Click on "Light Axle" and then "Axle Bill of Material".

They appear to be from an 87-88 Grand Wagoneer. If you wanted FSJ NT's with a driver's side drop, you made a good score for that price if they are complete and functional.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2012, 05:34 PM   #33
AGDubyaJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

old thread, i know! i just picked up a 77 cherokee- 360 V8, t-18 trans, and the D20 t-case. im trying to figure out my axle situation. my front axle has a vacuum disconnect hose that is DISCONNECTED, i cant figure out where it goes. it also has warn locking hubs from the factory... is it a D20 or D44?
Unread 04-07-2012, 06:27 PM   #34
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDubyaJ View Post
old thread, i know! i just picked up a 77 cherokee- 360 V8, t-18 trans, and the D20 t-case. im trying to figure out my axle situation. my front axle has a vacuum disconnect hose that is DISCONNECTED, i cant figure out where it goes. it also has warn locking hubs from the factory... is it a D20 or D44?
Dana 20 is a transfer case, as you already stated. AMC 20s were never made in front axle configurations.

Are you sure you're not just looking at the vent hose coming off the diff?

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
Unread 04-07-2012, 11:42 PM   #35
AGDubyaJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

sorry, meant AMC 20... yeah i think its just a breather hose. im dumb and very unfamiliar with older vehicles... but im learning! thanks you for your help!
Unread 05-01-2012, 10:36 PM   #36
skinny_pedal
1966 FSJ Wagoneer 

So the link posted earlier didn't work. I have a 66 wagoneer and trying to figure out what drivetrain is in it.
skinny_pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 05:01 AM   #37
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinny_pedal View Post
So the link posted earlier didn't work. I have a 66 wagoneer and trying to figure out what drivetrain is in it.
What link are you referring to? Checked all mine and they work. I believe the one you want is in post #21.

Unread 05-02-2012, 03:48 PM   #38
skinny_pedal
1966 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PavementPounder View Post
What link are you referring to? Checked all mine and they work. I believe the one you want is in post #21.
Thanks. For some reason it wouldn't come up on my computer but would on my phone.
skinny_pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 10:48 AM   #39
viperjosh
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have been looking for a front end swap for my yj. I finally found one sort of local. It's a 1991 grand wagoneer. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. I have talked with the owner of the yard where it is located. He said it was a d44 3.13 gear with auto locking hubs. I asked if it had the vacuum disconnect. He said he wasn't for sure. Question is, is there any chance it might have the disconnect. I have done some research on the axles and I can't find anything on the auto hubs. Whatever they are can the be replaced out for manual aftermarket hubs? I have a friend that got one from a 1987 gw and it already had manual locking hubs. So anymore information someone can give me work be helpful.
viperjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 11:32 AM   #40
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperjosh View Post
I have been looking for a front end swap for my yj. I finally found one sort of local. It's a 1991 grand wagoneer. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. I have talked with the owner of the yard where it is located. He said it was a d44 3.13 gear with auto locking hubs. I asked if it had the vacuum disconnect. He said he wasn't for sure. Question is, is there any chance it might have the disconnect. I have done some research on the axles and I can't find anything on the auto hubs. Whatever they are can the be replaced out for manual aftermarket hubs? I have a friend that got one from a 1987 gw and it already had manual locking hubs. So anymore information someone can give me work be helpful.
That will be a non-disco. If you don't already have a rear axle, that vehicle would be a great candidate for a matching set of D44s - especially if you are going to try and adapt an 8.8. If he still has the rear, you can completely avoid bolt pattern issues.

As for the hubs, I think it is more likely that it has drive flanges that the guy was calling "auto locking" hubs - meaning you don't have to lock them. No matter what it does have, flanges and auto lockiuts are both easily removed for the installation of manual lockouts.

The gearing is most likely 3.31.

Unread 05-31-2012, 02:11 PM   #41
viperjosh
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the fast response. Yeah I just seen I put 3.13 as the gear ratio, but your right it's a 3.31. That doesn't bother me. I'm running 4.56 right now. So will have to regear anyways. I done have a locked 8.8 in the rear. So if I do swap I'm going to just put adapters on the rear to match I guess. Maybe some spacing on front. I think it's just slightly wider than the 8.8 if I'm right the 8.8 is like 59 & 1/4 from mount to mount. So all I would really need to do is bolt it up and change the hubs to Manuel lockouts right? Thanks again information is priceless sometimes.
viperjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2012, 08:30 PM   #42
KRAKER
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Can standard dana 44 lockouts be put on a a 8 lug j20 dana 44?
Unread 07-24-2012, 06:19 PM   #43
Grandy9
1998 ZJ 

Been building a 5.9 for a bit. 8.8 rear and will move to 5 5.5 super 8.8 shafts (or similar). Front D30 is bent from the dunes and smiling. About to get analysis paralysis but I THINK I need a non vac 85 -90(91) Grand waggy D44 as a start to grind on and put new mounts... Correct?

Also Im working on the parts list for a big brake upgrade from F250 or Ram 2500 (JPMagazine Build Thread). Have the 17" rims but in a nutshell, is the GWD44 or a TJRubicon D44 all good?
Grandy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 02:53 PM   #44
deadeye
1983 CJ7 

looked through here but didn't see an answer, so here goes,
what is the distance between the spring perches on the chief axle?
83 CJ7, 350 TBI, TH350, Dana 300 twin stick, Dana 44 E-locker, Ford 8.8, Detroit, 4:10 gears, 35x13.5x15s
"Just Exchange Every Part"
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 04:36 PM   #45
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadeye View Post
looked through here but didn't see an answer, so here goes,
what is the distance between the spring perches on the chief axle?
Same as the rest of the late FSJs. The frame width didn't change.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.