Full-Size Jeep Axle Identification! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Full-Size Jeep Axle Identification!

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 02-17-2010, 10:56 AM   #16
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_TwStD_1 View Post
Ok, after looking through this thread, I know that the Jeep I'm getting is an 8 lug with a HD d44 in the front, and an offset d60 in the rear, but what I don't know is this: What would the spline count be on those axles, and are lockers for a D44 universal for d44's and the same for the d60 provided the spline count matches up?
Jeep trucks didn't use the D44HD. People get this confused easily. Having an 8-lug pattern does not make a D44 a HD model. The HD's had distinct housing differences and were generally found in Fords. The 8-lug D44 in J-trucks is a regular LP D44 with 8-lug outers. Mr. N's page is a good reference for explaining this:

Mr.N's Dana Articles to Include 44, 60 information.

Jeep only used 30-spline D60FF's. The only 35-spline axe used in Jeeps was the 5x5.5" SF D60-2 from Gladiators.

The D44 front has 30-spline inners. 30-spline D44 carriers and (most, perhaps all) lockers are the same. They don't care if the axle is HP or LP. They are not compatible with anything D60 (which is why all the part numbers are different).

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2010, 11:04 AM   #17
Angry_bald_guy
1985 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PavementPounder View Post
Jeep trucks didn't use the D44HD. People get this confused easily. Having an 8-lug pattern does not make a D44 a HD model. The HD's had distinct housing differences and were generally found in Fords. The 8-lug D44 in J-trucks is a regular LP D44 with 8-lug outers. Mr. N's page is a good reference for explaining this:

Mr.N's Dana Articles to Include 44, 60 information.

Jeep only used 30-spline D60FF's. The only 35-spline axe used in Jeeps was the 5x5.5" SF D60-2 from Gladiators.

The D44 front has 30-spline inners. 30-spline D44 carriers and (most, perhaps all) lockers are the same. They don't care if the axle is HP or LP. They are not compatible with anything D60 (which is why all the part numbers are different).
Obviously, I don't expect a D44 locker to work in a D60, but what I was asking was, would any D44, 30 spline locker work in that front end, and would any D60, 30 spline locker work in that rear end or is it more application specific than that?

[B]A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of the free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.[/B]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f271/matilda-928184/"][B]My Former Jeep[/B][/URL]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f57/build-up-jeanine-993071/"][B]My Current Jeep[/B][/URL]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B]JFI Member #13[/B][/COLOR]
[B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/dont-dishonest-seller-860174/"]Report a scam on JeepForum.[/URL][/B]
Angry_bald_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2010, 11:10 AM   #18
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_TwStD_1 View Post
Obviously, I don't expect a D44 locker to work in a D60, but what I was asking was, would any D44, 30 spline locker work in that front end, and would any D60, 30 spline locker work in that rear end or is it more application specific than that?
No, that's basically how it works. I suppose there is a possibility that some manufacturers may do something different, but I think that the only "non-standard" things I have seen/heard of in some instances are some different bearing sets being required.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
Unread 02-17-2010, 12:24 PM   #19
Angry_bald_guy
1985 J-Series Truck 

Cool, thanks.

[B]A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of the free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.[/B]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f271/matilda-928184/"][B]My Former Jeep[/B][/URL]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f57/build-up-jeanine-993071/"][B]My Current Jeep[/B][/URL]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B]JFI Member #13[/B][/COLOR]
[B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/dont-dishonest-seller-860174/"]Report a scam on JeepForum.[/URL][/B]
Angry_bald_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2010, 03:55 PM   #20
81CJ8
1981 LJ Wrangler 

Which axles were in trucks from 1963-1973? More specifically, the Gladiator.
81CJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2010, 10:49 PM   #21
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81CJ8 View Post
Which axles were in trucks from 1963-1973? More specifically, the Gladiator.

http://www.ifsja.org/tech/figures/db.html

Unread 10-01-2010, 02:48 AM   #22
motorsports3
1997 XJ Cherokee 

On the 84's GW how would you be able to tell if it has the Vac disconnect? Did all 85's have AMC 20's? Did some come with D44? Also did many of the fronts come with manual locking hubs?
motorsports3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2010, 08:46 AM   #23
BJ's Off-Road
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

For the vac disconnect, there is a pod on the axle differential cover, it is obvious.

Every 1985 I have seen had an AMC 20 rear, I am pretty sure that most, if not all, had the 20.

The only front axles that had manual locking hubs are the Dana 20 rigs and the NP208 rigs.

Locking hubs are easily added though, just pull the drive flanges off and replace them with hubs.
Unread 10-01-2010, 12:23 PM   #24
motorsports3
1997 XJ Cherokee 

The AMC 20 is a large round rear end right? Because the Waggy im looking at is an 85 but seems to have a D44.

Here is a pic

Here is the front, it doesnt have vac disco
motorsports3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2011, 09:18 PM   #25
Osmosiz
2000 XJ Cherokee 

im looking to buy a 65 wagoneer .. what axles are in that thing?

will work for jeep parts
Osmosiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2011, 11:59 AM   #26
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osmosiz View Post
im looking to buy a 65 wagoneer .. what axles are in that thing?
Use the link I posted in post #21.

Unread 04-25-2011, 01:49 AM   #27
jotter324
1976 FSJ Cherokee 

good idea to convert front drums to disc. It's hella hard to find new drums
jotter324 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2011, 10:09 PM   #28
CJ-Fan
1984 CJ7 

Ok guys, I have never claimed to be a "Jeep Pro" but I feel like I know a whole lot about a lot of different Jeeps, GM, and old Ford (Mostly 66-77 Bronco) but I am stumped.... I picked up a rear D44 from a 88 G. Waggy. Everyone says all Waggy D44's are offset (at least a little bit) but this one is not.. flange to absolute CL of pinion is within 1/16" from either side... Another very confusing part of this, the wheel bearing, and seal assy... Every assy diagram I can find (All Data, ServiceNet, Mitchell, Haynes, etc.) shows an inner seal and an outer seal.. being that assembled - inner seal, bearing retainer, bearing, outer seal, then "guide plate" or "retainer flange", and then finally brake backing plate. There is, with 100% certainty, absolutely no place within the axle housing, that is machined to accept an inner seal? Anyone ever seen this? Any ideas if for some reason this is not the axle that should have been installed in this Jeep? Lastly, I know (personally, and very close) this Jeep was purchased and never messed with by the owner that I got this axle from...
CJ-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2011, 06:56 AM   #29
BJ's Off-Road
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ-Fan View Post
Ok guys, I have never claimed to be a "Jeep Pro" but I feel like I know a whole lot about a lot of different Jeeps, GM, and old Ford (Mostly 66-77 Bronco) but I am stumped.... I picked up a rear D44 from a 88 G. Waggy. Everyone says all Waggy D44's are offset (at least a little bit) but this one is not.. flange to absolute CL of pinion is within 1/16" from either side... Another very confusing part of this, the wheel bearing, and seal assy... Every assy diagram I can find (All Data, ServiceNet, Mitchell, Haynes, etc.) shows an inner seal and an outer seal.. being that assembled - inner seal, bearing retainer, bearing, outer seal, then "guide plate" or "retainer flange", and then finally brake backing plate. There is, with 100% certainty, absolutely no place within the axle housing, that is machined to accept an inner seal? Anyone ever seen this? Any ideas if for some reason this is not the axle that should have been installed in this Jeep? Lastly, I know (personally, and very close) this Jeep was purchased and never messed with by the owner that I got this axle from...
I have seen some that didn't have an inner seal but I had never looked to see if there was a spot for it.

The way to figure this out 100% is to send me the BOM (Bill of Material) number on the axle and I'll tell you what it came from. Here is where to find the BOM:

Unread 09-12-2011, 10:02 AM   #30
xj95mj88

I just bought waggy 44's front and rear for 350. the person i got them off of doesnt know the year of the truck and before i start buying for the rebuild would the BOM number help identify the year? Its 610283-1. thanks for the help
xj95mj88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.