Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Full-Size Jeep Axle Identification!

144K views 57 replies 25 participants last post by  Hipshotpercusin 
#1 ·
This is a VERY common question on this forum so I will try to break this down for the masses:

1974-1979 Full Size Jeeps:

Front Axle:

Passenger Side Drop
Dana 44 (6-lug) or Dana 44 HD (8-lug)
The 6-lug axle comes in both narrow and wide versions (Wagoneer is narrow, J-truck and Cherokee Chief* is wide)
The 8-lug is wide only
1974-1975, disc brakes were optional in these years. In 1976, disc brakes became standard on the front. (EDIT!! They were still optional in 1976!)

Rear Axle:

Dana 44 (6-lug) or Dana 60 (8-lug)
The Dana 44 comes in narrow, wide and wider. (Wagoneer would be narrow, Cherokee Chief* would be wider and J-truck would be widest)
All of the Dana 44's are offset, some are offset less but all are offset

The Dana 60 is widest only and is a little off-set

1980-1985-ish Full-Size Jeeps:

Front Axle:

Driver Side Drop
Dana 44 (6-lug)** or Dana 44 HD (8-lug)
**1982-1984 (6-lug only) could have a vacuum disconnect front axle - I have seen some 1985's with this as well.

Rear Axle:

AMC 20 (6-lug) or Dana 60 (8-lug)
AMC 20 (6-lug) offset just a tad. This is much stronger than the CJ versions. This axle has 1-piece axle shafts stock and the tubes are thicker for use in the heavier Full-Size Jeeps.
AMC 20 Axles come in narrow, wide and wider. (Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer would be narrow, Cherokee Chief* would be wider and J-truck would be widest)

Dana 60 Rear offset just a tad and comes in widest.

1986-1991 Full-Size Jeeps

Front Axle:

Driver side drop
Dana 44 (6-lug) or Dana 44 HD (8-lug)
The 6-lug axle comes in both narrow and wide versions (Grand Wagoneer is narrow, J-truck is wide)
The 8-lug is wide only

Rear Axle

Dana 44 (6-lug) offset just a tad
Note, some early 1986's have been spotted with an AMC 20 rear axle.
Comes in narrow and widest versions (Grand Wagoneer would be narrow, J-truck would be widest)

*Cherokee note: Some 1974-1983 Cherokees can either be narrow or wide. This link will help break this down: http://www.bjsoffroad.com/cartgenie/pg_faq.asp#Widetrack

See less See more
#4 ·
That chart has some weird numbers in it (colored).

jeeping1974 Dana 44 1974 J10 Front 67 7/16" 5 on 5 1/2 Oct 07
jeeping1974 Dana 44 1974 J10 Rear 69 13/16" 5 on 5 1/2 Oct 07

#12 ·
I'm buying an 82 Dana 44 front from a cherokee chief to upgrade my 95 YJ,the guy said it is a 6 lug...2 questions...
1.is it a high pinion?
2.does anyone sell axles to make it a 5 lug to match the YJ lug pattern?

I will be putting an 8.8 from an explorer in the rear,i would like to keep that lug pattern for the fact i already have 3 sets of rims and tires for it as is.

All my questions are because the guy am buying it from is a guy i work with but he is almost 2 hours from me and we are workin 6-7 days a week,so i haven't had time to go look at it yet.

#13 ·
I'm buying an 82 Dana 44 front from a cherokee chief to upgrade my 95 YJ,the guy said it is a 6 lug...2 questions...
1.is it a high pinion?
2.does anyone sell axles to make it a 5 lug to match the YJ lug pattern?
No, it is not a HPD44. Jeep never used them. Only Ford, and Ford never used a 6x5.5" pattern.

I've never seen a hub kit to get to 5x4.5" and there probably isn't room to re-drill them. This is a common problem that people face when trying to upgrade a YJ with an 8.8 since there is no easy 5x4.5" front solution.

I will be putting an 8.8 from an explorer in the rear,i would like to keep that lug pattern for the fact i already have 3 sets of rims and tires for it as is.
Wanting to retain your rims & tires will doom you in this effort. There are few routes you can take.

1. Buy a TJ Rubicon D44 front.
  2. Give up on the bolt pattern and buy a matched set of 1986-up Grand Wagoneer D44's.
  3. Skip the D44 front and beef the D30, eliminating the CAD.

My suggestion would be to abandon the 5x4.5" pattern and buy a matched set of axles, such as the 77.5-79 F-250 HPD44/D60 that bolt into YJ's SOA.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the Chief D44. Too wide and you'll burn $ shortening it that could have been better spent elsewhere. Get a Wagoneer or Grand Wagoneer D44 front (~61").

#14 ·
Thanks for the info,i guess i'll just go with my original plan and use the set of axles out of one of my early broncos,have a junked 77 bronco with dana 44 disk and big bearing 9" rear,was just trying for an easier route to keep the lug pattern.

#15 ·
Ok, after looking through this thread, I know that the Jeep I'm getting is an 8 lug with a HD d44 in the front, and an offset d60 in the rear, but what I don't know is this: What would the spline count be on those axles, and are lockers for a D44 universal for d44's and the same for the d60 provided the spline count matches up?

#16 ·
Jeep trucks didn't use the D44HD. People get this confused easily. Having an 8-lug pattern does not make a D44 a HD model. The HD's had distinct housing differences and were generally found in Fords. The 8-lug D44 in J-trucks is a regular LP D44 with 8-lug outers. Mr. N's page is a good reference for explaining this:

Mr.N's Dana Articles to Include 44, 60 information.

Jeep only used 30-spline D60FF's. The only 35-spline axe used in Jeeps was the 5x5.5" SF D60-2 from Gladiators.

The D44 front has 30-spline inners. 30-spline D44 carriers and (most, perhaps all) lockers are the same. They don't care if the axle is HP or LP. They are not compatible with anything D60 (which is why all the part numbers are different).

#23 ·
For the vac disconnect, there is a pod on the axle differential cover, it is obvious.

Every 1985 I have seen had an AMC 20 rear, I am pretty sure that most, if not all, had the 20.

The only front axles that had manual locking hubs are the Dana 20 rigs and the NP208 rigs.

Locking hubs are easily added though, just pull the drive flanges off and replace them with hubs.

#28 ·
Ok guys, I have never claimed to be a "Jeep Pro" but I feel like I know a whole lot about a lot of different Jeeps, GM, and old Ford (Mostly 66-77 Bronco) but I am stumped.... I picked up a rear D44 from a 88 G. Waggy. Everyone says all Waggy D44's are offset (at least a little bit) but this one is not.. flange to absolute CL of pinion is within 1/16" from either side... Another very confusing part of this, the wheel bearing, and seal assy... Every assy diagram I can find (All Data, ServiceNet, Mitchell, Haynes, etc.) shows an inner seal and an outer seal.. being that assembled - inner seal, bearing retainer, bearing, outer seal, then "guide plate" or "retainer flange", and then finally brake backing plate. There is, with 100% certainty, absolutely no place within the axle housing, that is machined to accept an inner seal? Anyone ever seen this? Any ideas if for some reason this is not the axle that should have been installed in this Jeep? Lastly, I know (personally, and very close) this Jeep was purchased and never messed with by the owner that I got this axle from...

#29 ·
I have seen some that didn't have an inner seal but I had never looked to see if there was a spot for it.

The way to figure this out 100% is to send me the BOM (Bill of Material) number on the axle and I'll tell you what it came from. Here is where to find the BOM:

#33 ·
old thread, i know! i just picked up a 77 cherokee- 360 V8, t-18 trans, and the D20 t-case. im trying to figure out my axle situation. my front axle has a vacuum disconnect hose that is DISCONNECTED, i cant figure out where it goes. it also has warn locking hubs from the factory... is it a D20 or D44?

#34 ·
Dana 20 is a transfer case, as you already stated. AMC 20s were never made in front axle configurations.

Are you sure you're not just looking at the vent hose coming off the diff?

#35 ·
sorry, meant AMC 20... yeah i think its just a breather hose. im dumb and very unfamiliar with older vehicles... but im learning! thanks you for your help!

#39 ·
I have been looking for a front end swap for my yj. I finally found one sort of local. It's a 1991 grand wagoneer. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. I have talked with the owner of the yard where it is located. He said it was a d44 3.13 gear with auto locking hubs. I asked if it had the vacuum disconnect. He said he wasn't for sure. Question is, is there any chance it might have the disconnect. I have done some research on the axles and I can't find anything on the auto hubs. Whatever they are can the be replaced out for manual aftermarket hubs? I have a friend that got one from a 1987 gw and it already had manual locking hubs. So anymore information someone can give me work be helpful.

#40 ·
That will be a non-disco. If you don't already have a rear axle, that vehicle would be a great candidate for a matching set of D44s - especially if you are going to try and adapt an 8.8. If he still has the rear, you can completely avoid bolt pattern issues.

As for the hubs, I think it is more likely that it has drive flanges that the guy was calling "auto locking" hubs - meaning you don't have to lock them. No matter what it does have, flanges and auto lockiuts are both easily removed for the installation of manual lockouts.

The gearing is most likely 3.31.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.