Fuel Tank Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Fuel Tank Problem

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 04-19-2011, 09:53 AM   #1
Swolford2009
1984 FSJ Wagoneer 

Fuel Tank Problem

I have a 1984 Grand Wagoneer. I went to an electric fuel pump. The problem I am having is that when I fill the tank up I only can put a gallon or so in and then it overflows. I wait a few minutes and then I can put a little more in. I dont understand what the problem is. I am not using the return line and I have tried to plug it and leave it open with no change. I have the lines from the "carbon canister" open and that didnt help. Do I need to plug all the lines going to the tank and use a vented gas cap to solve this problem or something else. If anyone has switched to a electric fuel pump PLEASE tell me what you did with all your lines. I am a volunteer firefighter and I would like to use my Jeep to get to calls. I also have problems with it running out of fuel almost like it only uses a couple gallons and then can't use anymore. I had a 35ghp pump on it but I am replacing it with a 65-95gph pump. Any thoughts or tech advice would be appreciated!!!

Swolford2009 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2011, 10:48 AM   #2
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

I run the elec fuel pump on both my 76 j10 and my 74 Gremlin.
There should be a tank vent line ran with your fill line. It should run from the tank to your filler neck, right inside the nozzle hole. I would check that, since it isn't filling. However, it being an FSJ, have you tried putting the fill nozzle in sideways? Neither my j10 nor especially the Gremlin will fill unless I put the nozzles in at funky angles. And I usually can't squeeze the nozzle handle very much, either. Also check the fill hose and make sure it is running downhill to your tank. I had to jerry-rig my fill hose with an exhaust 90, and I'd have to let it fill, then drain, then fill, then drain. So much better with the right piece now.

When I put the elec fuel pumps on, I remove all the vents (except the one to the filler neck) and charcoal canister, and add a locking vented gas cap. The vent lines from the sending unit, I just get a little piece of hose, and loop them back to each other.
When I get the opportunity (parts) I am going to reinstall charcoal canisters and run the vents. Guess I could use a coffe can, huh? Maybe new project for this weekend

I just saw a great diagram of the fuel tank venting, but can't find it now.

Kinda sounds like the running problem is a little bit of vapor lock, venting should take care of that.
Good luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.