Fuel sending unit - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Fuel sending unit

CHASSIS SAVERô Labor Day 2 for 1 Sale!!!Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJKS Flex Connect in Actions!

Unread 02-06-2014, 11:03 PM   #31
mpatch
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Yea your right about the mountain. Just didnt know the exact set up and if it was right above the tank if they could fall in there or if I could drill into the tank. Falling on the floor or anywhere else I dont care. But I do appreciater your help and feel pretty confident now. Thanks

mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2014, 01:11 PM   #32
jamesmega
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

They should just fall on top of the tank where the FSU is housed, prob into the little dip. Mine has been left loose since it was originally taken off.
jamesmega is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2014, 09:30 PM   #33
mpatch
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post
That's what I'd do. Just be careful to not stab the drill to far through. It doesn't take much to pop the heads off.
I did just that and now I have a pin size hole in the tank. Going to put tank patch over it I guess.

Also the original poster asked about changing out the fuel hoses going to the sending unit. Can this be done easily? Do I need to drop anything, remove anying or can I just snake the hoses around to get them to their start and end locations.
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2014, 08:52 AM   #34
rkent47
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

I am jumping into this almost a year later, but I too have problems with my fuel gauge. It reads full all the time, so I believe I am getting electricity to the gauge. Could the float be stuck on the sensor? This has happened to me on other cars. Where is the access to the sensor on the tank - this would be on a 1989 GW. I am also having trouble filling the tank - I have to hold the pump handle and take about a minute per gallon or the automatic function of the pump kicks in.

Merry Christmas!!

Kent
Unread 12-19-2014, 01:18 PM   #35
CSP

Drop the tank to get to the sending unit. There is no access plate.

While you have it dropped, inspect the fill hose and the fill vent hose for kinks in either one.

Probably should have started another thread of your own.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2014, 01:20 PM   #36
rkent47
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

CSP - thanks for the come-back! I will looking into dropping the tank this afternoon. We will have it up on a lift to deal with some more immediate issues...

Merry Christmas

Kent
Unread 12-20-2014, 02:30 PM   #37
gpcl16
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

Not true. You do not have to drop the tank. Later Grand Wagoneers have an access point for the fuel sending unit/pickup. Take out the rear seat and fold back the carpet. There will be a circular plate with several screws holding it in. Not sure what year that started but my '88 has the access plate. Much, much easier than dropping the fuel tank. Though you may have to drop it anyways if you are having issues with a kinked hose.
gpcl16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2014, 08:33 AM   #38
rkent47
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

GPCL-

Yup, I thought that was the case. Although the weather was cooperative yesterday and I could have done some things on the GW outside, I spent the day in the garage. Last summer I grabbed the doors off an '86 GW at a "ewe-pullet" and decided it was time to pull them in from the snowbank and strip them. Things went fine until I discovered that one of the window motors was fried! I got two of the doors pretty well stripped though and parts into a storage tub... Gas tank is next!!

Merry Christmas

Kent
Unread 12-23-2014, 08:47 AM   #39
Little Green
1991 FSJ Wagoneer 

Do not drop your tank. Find the access panel and go in that way. Replace your fuel sending unit. The plastic nut holding it on was a ***** for me to take off but a screwdriver and rubber mallet did the trick.
Unread 12-23-2014, 08:50 AM   #40
rkent47
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Little Green,

Great! Thanks for the info! I am almost wondering if the float is stuck in the full position? I am getting a signal from the sender, just reads full all of the time...

Merry Christmas

Kent
Unread 12-23-2014, 06:53 PM   #41
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpcl16 View Post
Not true. You do not have to drop the tank. Later Grand Wagoneers have an access point for the fuel sending unit/pickup.
Good to know. The newest one I've owned is a '79. I should know better than to make a statement as if all FSJs are the same as older ones. Jeep built them after all.

I wonder if that access point was made possible after tanks were moved off center more than the '79 and older.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2015, 08:17 AM   #42
jamesmega
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

Just to update my own thread: I replaced the FSU and removed the dash cluster. After a lot of electrical spray the fuel gauge works. Had to replace the mech fuel pump and starter module (80s style computer thing as I was told) and running awesome after shipping the girl to El Paso. I really wish I could have seen some faces staring at her as she moved cross country.
jamesmega is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.