Fuel pick up issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Fuel pick up issues

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 01-16-2014, 12:37 AM   #1
ETthomehomw
1983 CJ7 

Fuel pick up issues

So I picked up an 86 grand wagoneer with a 360 a few weeks ago. My issues just started where it acted like it ran out of gas with 1/4 tank left. Put gas in and it started right up. Just figured the fuel level sensor is off. Filled it up with about 16 gallons. Well it did it again. This time when i filled it up it only took 9.86 gallons. So it wasn't empty. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it with the fuel pick up or do you think I'm sucking air in somewhere? Any insight on where to start would be appreciated. Thanks!

ETthomehomw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2014, 06:53 AM   #2
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Could be either, could be pump on its way out too.
I ran out of gas bringing my wagon home for the first, ended up being a bad sending unit, pulling air. Another frequent culprit are the hoses going from the sending unit to the hard lines on the frame, they become brittle devoloping cracks. I belive by 86 they added an access panel under the rear seat for the sending unit.
RockRollin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2014, 09:40 PM   #3
gpcl16
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

Were you going downhill when you ran out of gas? I've had the same problem. I've run out of gas with almost a 1/4 of a tank twice before while going down a hill. Brand new sending unit and fuel pump. I definitely had about 4-5 gallons left in the tank.

I think it's the design of the tank. It is long and flat. When you are going downhill or braking the gauge reads low because the sending unit/fuel pickup is towards the back of the tank. If it's low enough/steep enough all the gas will pool in the front of the tank and you will run out of gas. On the other hand, it will read high when accelerating hard or going uphill. Another theory I've had is that the pickup tube assembly doesn't go far enough to the bottom of the tank, but I didn't have a good flashlight when I was installing my sending unit to check for sure. Let me know if you figure it out, it bothers the heck out of me.
gpcl16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2014, 08:22 PM   #4
Booger1
1981 CJ7 

My 79 Cherokee does this crap all the time. If I let it set for 5 or 6 days I have to prime it to get it running. It "ran out" on us a couple weeks ago at Deer camp as we were leaving. Went to fill it the next day and it took 6 gallons. There's no rhyme or reason as to when and why it's going to do it. I just carry spare gas but will put on an electric pump when the weather warms a bit.
Booger1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2014, 01:14 AM   #5
G-Wag
1986 FSJ Wagoneer 

My 86 Wag was doing this when I came to a stop sign at a decline. I'd have tap the peddle fast to keep it running but sometimes it actually would die in intersection. I would do the cheapest route first, STP Complete Fuel treatment (in a full tank) for the carburetor, and HEET(in the yellow bottle) for water dispersion being an older vehicle an all caused by condensation inside the tank. I'm trying to remember what else I did to solve this problem...maybe get a carburetor adjustment if all else fails.
G-Wag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.