Fuel issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Fuel issue

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 02-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
Ray VanBuren
1979 J-Series Truck 

Fuel issue

I would like to pick ya'll's brain here. I have a '79 J-10 w/360 engine. I have replaced the carb(new),fuel filters, fuel pump(twice), fuel lines, fuel pickup, and gas tank. Now, it will run until the fuel bowl is empty. I have checked for leaks, sucking air, etc. but can't solve this issue. Any ideas?

Unread 02-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #2
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

What fuel filter do you have? If it has the return line coming off of it make sure its in the 12 o clock position. Have you done a flow check on the fuel system?
RockRollin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2013, 05:50 AM   #3
PITA88FSJ
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

I'm not sure if your has the 7" piece of rubber fuel line on the return just above the rear of the transfer case. My was rottred and caused some fuel problems.

RockRollin, what is the reason for having the return line in the 12 o'clock position? I just changed mine out and it's at the 10 position. Want to make sure I get everything right.
PITA88FSJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2013, 07:29 AM   #4
Ray VanBuren
1979 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRollin View Post
What fuel filter do you have? If it has the return line coming off of it make sure its in the 12 o clock position. Have you done a flow check on the fuel system?
I have a return line in 12 o clock position.
Unread 02-08-2013, 07:30 AM   #5
Ray VanBuren
1979 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITA88FSJ View Post
I'm not sure if your has the 7" piece of rubber fuel line on the return just above the rear of the transfer case. My was rottred and caused some fuel problems.

RockRollin, what is the reason for having the return line in the 12 o'clock position? I just changed mine out and it's at the 10 position. Want to make sure I get everything right.
Mine does and all the lines are new.
Unread 02-08-2013, 07:52 AM   #6
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

There are some who believe the return line must be in the 12 o'clock position on the fuel filter. This is not an absolute requirement for the truck to run. Mine is currently in the 10 o'clock position and I drive it around all of the time.

I always poo poo'd folks who insisted 12 o'clock is a 'must'. However, one thought on the subject does make sense to me. If you have vapor lock issues the 12 o'clock position might allow vaporized fuel to be pushed out the return line and help avoid issues. I have not tried this yet. I only have vapor lock issues once a year driving to/from Ouray (specifically Gallup to Ship Rock and back). So next year I will test this out.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2013, 08:17 AM   #7
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Ollie your right IMO , but it is a self bleed design. Its not mandatory, but it could be an issue. Picture it pointing up and return in the 6:00 position, you could could be getting no fuel at all. Its just another to check. Step one. Do a flow check before the filter,
Unread 02-08-2013, 12:09 PM   #8
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

It can't hurt to have it a 12 oclock.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2013, 06:32 AM   #9
PITA88FSJ
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

Thanks for the info...gonna rotate mine today as it is in the 9 o'clock position. No problems, but better safe than sorry.
PITA88FSJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #10
Ray VanBuren
1979 J-Series Truck 

I finally found the problem. There was bits of rubber in the needle valve area from past(before replacement) fuel line. Cleaned up and running like a champ. Also replaced all the fuel filters. Thanks for all the responses.
Unread 02-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #11
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.