Fuel Issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Fuel Issue

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comECGS American Made Stub ShaftsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 04-08-2011, 07:31 PM   #1
jmcdowell072887
1983 FSJ Cherokee 

Fuel Issue

I got a 83 cherokee chief laredo and it starts, idles, revs, and accelerates fine til i hit 45 mph. Once i get there it begins to sputter. I took off the fuel cap and drove around to see if would help but no luck. My next guess is to check the fuel filter but i cant locate it. Any further guidance to the location of the filter or what could be causing the issue would be appreciated

jmcdowell072887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

there is probably one inside the driver side frame rail. Make sure you squeeze the lines off before removing the filter.
If that doesn't work, start looking at the fuel pump
Unread 04-09-2011, 02:42 AM   #3
ISlapFatKids
1995 ZJ 

I would assume it's the fuel filter, too. I had an old Blazer I picked up for less than $500 with the same issue (even at the same speed). All she needed was a new filter (for a while).

And as pelontks stated, the fuel pump would be my next guess, aswell. Learned about that thanks to that crappy old Blazer, too.

Last thing I know about would be to re-tune your carburetor, but that can be a PITA your first time or two, especially depending on what carb you have.
ISlapFatKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011, 05:38 PM   #4
jmcdowell072887
1983 FSJ Cherokee 

ok so i swapped fuel filters and it drove fine for a day. Then it got to the point where it wouldn't even move and once i hit the gas it would die. So i put a new fuel pump on it started it up and went for a ride and it died. so today i bottle fed the carb and watched the fuel as it pumped out the line feeding the carb and it was pumping like it should and even with the direct feed from the bottle it still died. I then took the air filter off and messed with the levers on the carb (not sure what i did) and it started up idled for 20min then i drove it up the road going 45mph turned around and came back doing 50mph. on the way back it sputtered a lil bit but still ran good after i backed off. Just wondering if it sounds like there a problem with the carb or if disconnecting the auto choke on the carb may fix it
jmcdowell072887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011, 08:20 PM   #5
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISlapFatKids View Post
I would assume it's the fuel filter, too. I had an old Blazer I picked up for less than $500 with the same issue (even at the same speed). All she needed was a new filter (for a while).

And as pelontks stated, the fuel pump would be my next guess, aswell. Learned about that thanks to that crappy old Blazer, too.

Last thing I know about would be to re-tune your carburetor, but that can be a PITA your first time or two, especially depending on what carb you have.
haha. I learned on my 84 chevy 3/4 2wd that I got for 250

When doing the fuel line check, I usually blow some air down the line into the tank to clean out the sock on the end of the pickup. Of course, I usually end up dropping the tank and never fix the blown-out sock. I'm sure it's not the best to do, but I haven't had a problem yet
Unread 04-19-2011, 08:08 AM   #6
sinac4life
1976 FSJ Cherokee 

There could be some carbon build-up in the carb. but unless there is a ton of stuff in there, it shouldn't affect it that much. I would make sure that the gas isn't vapor locking in the carb. That happened to mine and that ended up being the problem. Just make sure your cooling system is working right. Also, it could be that there is too much air going in and the fuel/air mix isn't right.
sinac4life is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.