Fuel Issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Fuel Issue

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-14-2011, 07:36 PM   #1
Swolford2009
1984 FSJ Wagoneer 

Fuel Issue

I have a 1984 Grand Wagoneer that has a 360. I just put an Edelbrock intake and carb on. I did away with all the emissions crap and disconnected the fuel return line. I am running a mech. fuel pump that runs 9psi. I decided to put a regulator on to get it around 5psi. I can't get fuel to the carb now and it is really getting frustrating. Sometimes I get too much fuel and then it goes the other way. Is the fuel system touchy on these Wagoneers? This is my first time messing with a Jeep/AMC. I am a Chevy guy. If it was a Chevy I would have it figured out by now. Any help would be appreciated!

Swolford2009 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2011, 08:03 PM   #2
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

Get a vented gas cap. Or try running it in the driveway with no gas cap. I'm assuming that the charcoal canister went along the way with the emmissions crap?
I like to run the electric fuel pumps.
pleontks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2011, 08:40 PM   #3
Swolford2009
1984 FSJ Wagoneer 

I still have to canister but only two lines are still hooked to it that run down behind the motor and go?????? I will try the gas cap and see what happens.
Unread 03-15-2011, 12:42 AM   #4
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

Didn't notice fuel filter on the list........
Maybe crawl under and check that you didn't miss one.
Could be that the pickup sock in the tank is clogged. Trying blowing into the tank through the gas line and have someone listen to hear if it bubbles. I blew out all my hard lines with the compressor, and replaced all the rubber.

My last truck was a 84 chevy 3/4 ton 2wd 350, I traded for my j10, and then did everything I just did to the chevy to the j10. Got rid of the motorcrap carb and put on my qjet Other than the carb and the return line from the filter, the fuel system's pretty much the same as the chevys.

The two hoses off the canister should go back to the vent on the tank. Both hoses. 'Should' be another to the carb....

Good Luck
Unread 03-15-2011, 10:39 AM   #5
Swolford2009
1984 FSJ Wagoneer 

Went out and pulled of the gas cap and still same result. It seems like it has a hell of a time getting gas up to the carb. It does have a new fuel pump. I have two aftermarket fuel filters up by the engine but didnt see any underneath the jeep. Maybe I didnt see it but it did have a stock filter up on top with a return outlet on it. Something is messed up with the fuel system because it did this when everything was still stock. The fuel would drain back out of the line and have a hard time getting it back up to the carb. The way I have it set up right now is the same way I have always done it with V8's I have had in the past with no problem. The Jeep has set for over 10 years in a garage if that makes a difference on troubleshooting. Again I appreciate any help I can get!
Unread 03-15-2011, 10:54 AM   #6
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

My chevy would do the drain back real bad, as well as my Gremlin. That's what I like about the electric fuel pump - it self primes. When I start em up, I just let the fuel pump pump for a couple seconds before kicking the engine over.
Hopefully I've been some help, but that's about all I've got
Unread 03-15-2011, 12:52 PM   #7
Swolford2009
1984 FSJ Wagoneer 

I am really starting to like the electric fuel pump idea!!
Unread 03-15-2011, 03:42 PM   #8
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

It took a while for me to get convinced, but I automatically run it on everything now.
Make sure you put it as close to the tank as possible, and pointing up. Grab a 3/8 or 5/16 barb nipple for the supply end for when you change out the one that came with it.
Pair it with a clear filter in the hood, and you can also see if you got gas or not.
Unread 03-15-2011, 03:49 PM   #9
Swolford2009
1984 FSJ Wagoneer 

I know this is kinda off topic but is there any important info I need to know about this 360 and or the Grand Wagoneer itself? I don't want to be caught off guard about anything on it.
Unread 03-15-2011, 06:55 PM   #10
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

Not too much. Mine's a bit older but......
Keep an ear on the two rear main bearings. They tend to go out first.
The wiring sometimes catches fire.
After the emissions comes out, the only real differences between the years are the tranny/tcase combo, and the wiring. At some point they switched to the plastic dash, but even that, I'm sure, can be switched out with the older metal one.
Lots of ford parts that need to be replaced with non-ford parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.