Front Dana 44 closed knuckle DRUM to DISC conversion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Front Dana 44 closed knuckle DRUM to DISC conversion

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-07-2007, 10:40 PM   #1
farinspace

Front Dana 44 closed knuckle DRUM to DISC conversion

Ok im going to attempt a front D44 drum to disc conversion, but i need a little help ... ive been doing a little bit of research and think i can pull it off. I was given the following site for reference:

http://earlycj5.com/tech/brakes/disk...conversion.php

which is for a CJ but info is still relevant and that site referred me to:

http://completeoffroad.com/wsm/i-437...0_dana_28.html
http://completeoffroad.com/wsm/i-730...on_blazer.html

I checked out my local junkyard and came across chevy k10 4x4 with which appears to be a dana 44 up front ... here are the pics, if anyone can confirm my finds i would appreciate that:

What i want to know is if anyone here has done it before? and if so what advice do you have? Or if anyone has additional resources Id appreciate it very much ... I plan on writing a write-up when the fat-lady-sings ...

The part that im still a little unsure about is dealing with the master cylinder, currently the J2000 has a vacuum booster for additional vacuum for the brakes, does this mean that the current master cylinder is NOT a hydraulic system? And if that is the case I assume i would also need a hydraulic master cylinder, would i have to replace the big tank behind it as well?

As you can figure out im a little unclear about this part of the install, so if anyone has addtional resources here please let me know.

Im mechanically inclined and am the type of person who believes anything can be done, and that things arent as hard as they appear. I havent been working on cars/trucks much so any additional advice is also welcome.

Unread 06-11-2007, 08:59 PM   #2
ROWA

1994 YJ Wrangler 

farinspace,
The brake vacuum booster is like power steering for your brakes. The vacuum from the intake manifold acts on the diaphragms surface area to increase pressure in your master cylinder in addition of the pressure from your brake pedal.
The problem with a conversion from drum to disc is that disc brakes require more fluid volume than a drum system. You will need to replace the master cylinder and the brake proportioning valve. A GM master cylinder for disc/drum brakes should work.
Good luck,
ROWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2007, 07:48 PM   #3
ronprice

Ive done it on scout 44 closed and it was a sinch. Had to make some home made caliper mounts besides that its all bolt on. Should be the same I would think.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.