!@#$% Front Axle Rebuild- Frozen B-Joints - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > !@#$% Front Axle Rebuild- Frozen B-Joints

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe ALL NEW Factor 55 ProLink Winch Shackle Mounts availabFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-16-2013, 03:58 PM   #1
super98lsc
Web Wheeler
1999 WJ 

!@#$% Front Axle Rebuild- Frozen B-Joints

So I decide to rebuild the entire front end, inner and outer wheel bearings, spindle bearings, seals and upper/lower ball joints. Also picked up a set of Rancho RS9000 Adjustable shocks to see if I can smooth the ride out some over my Rough Country shocks that are as stiff as welded axles to the frame.

Anyhow here the upper ball joint will not press out of the damned knuckle for anything. I tried the rented ball joint press, then propped it up in my 20 hydraulic press using hardened steel ford Kingpins to support the inside of the knuckle to prevent bending or cracking. Soaked for 2 days in PB Blaster, heat the ### out of it with the torch, then cooled just the joint with a water bottle and more PB Blaster. The 20 Ton press I beams are bending but that sucker wont move. Anyone have any bright ideas? I dont want to keep cranking on it and blow the knuckle into fragments all over the workshop or into me. Aside from them being un-obtainum around here I want my truck back on the road today. I made an upper joint socket 4 point spanner, ground a new craftshman 3/4 impact down cut the 4 notches etc since no one near Austin had one. That worked like a charm. My front wheel bearings were done. The outers were literall frozen and black in color from the intense heat. Also swapping out all the inner-outer rod ends while I am at it.

bastard-ball-joint-1.jpg   bastard-ball-joint-2.jpg  
===================================
00 WJ 4x4, 4.7 stroker, turbocharged,..lots more..
01 WJ 4x2 4.7v8 Limited (needs valve job)
90 Grand Wagoneer 401 Edelbrock Heads, Lunati .510/.527 FT Cam, Edelbrock RPM Air Gap, Holley HP 750, Thorley Headers, HEI, Electric Fan w Digital controller,4" lift 31x10.50 Goodyear Duratrac's on Pro-Comp Wheels,new interior, seats,seals,Alpine and JL full system, Remote HEI, Clifford 2 way with remote start,windows,tailgate.
96 Cherokee Country 4dr/2x2 White/Tan 3" Lift Sahara 18" Wheels 32.5"'s 99up head and intake- for sale soon!
super98lsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Best I could suggest is a side impact while holding pressure on the joint.
I had to make a socket also, a city the size of Charlotte, and no socket?!
Not even 4wheel parts!?..... anyway...
With suggested torque, I had some stiffness after around 1000mi on my balljoints. I broke em down and reduced the preload 5lb, and 15lb on the top nut. Loosened it up to 5lb of radial resistance on the hub (much better return to center and bump management. Just a thought
RockRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 05:21 PM   #3
super98lsc
Web Wheeler
1999 WJ 

That's good info on the tq.. If I ever get it back together ;-) . Took the knuckle ntb, guy broke his tool and.vice. back to my shop, perhaps napalm will work.....
90 Grand Wagoneer 401 Edelbrock Heads, Lunati .510/.527 FT Cam, Edelbrock RPM Air Gap, Holley HP 750, Thorley Headers, HEI, Electric Fan w Digital controller,4" lift 31x10.50 Goodyear Duratrac's on Pro-Comp Wheels,new interior, seats,seals,Alpine and JL full system, Remote HEI, Clifford 2 way with remote start,windows,tailgate.
96 Cherokee Country 4dr/2x2 White/Tan 3" Lift Sahara 18" Wheels 32.5"'s 99up head and intake- for sale soon!
Unread 06-16-2013, 06:41 PM   #4
super98lsc
Web Wheeler
1999 WJ 

I win!!

Took the grinder to the top ring of the joint, extracted the ball/stud/teflon cup, then drilled a hole through it on the drill press. 1 Large one in center, then 2 smaller holes to make room for a sawzall blade. Then Sawzall just to through the ball-joint case being careful not to slice the knuckle rendering it useless. Popped it right out in 2 halves with my bare hands. Bottom joint was no effort at all, popped the clip, 3 whacks with the hammer and it was done. Now I can finally start re-assembly of 1 side!!!
bastard-joint-removal-1.jpg   bastard-joint-removal-2.jpg   instruments-destruction.jpg   whats-left-2.jpg   whats-left.jpg  

mangieris-r-c.jpg  
Unread 06-16-2013, 08:03 PM   #5
super98lsc
Web Wheeler
1999 WJ 

Also figured out what happened and why the !@# thing wouldnt come out. Someone used a lower joint in the upper slot just without the snap ring then pressed it in on an angle. So literally it wasnt in there straight and was a larger diameter than the replacement i used. The replacements are moog problem solvers which are knurled to ensure a snug fit etc. There was no way it was coming out i tried pressing it in further then flipping back the other way etc. Anyhow hope the other side isnt this way.... 4-5 hour deal took 1/2 a day to get one side done
Unread 06-17-2013, 11:33 AM   #6
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

that sucks, glad you got it out though. I just rebuilt a front end 100% as well. Luckily, my ball joints slid right out when i put my impact gun on the ball joint c clamp deal.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 01:34 PM   #7
super98lsc
Web Wheeler
1999 WJ 

Yep I saw your rebuild/swap nice work did you get it all done?
passenger-side-1-low-res.jpg   passenger-side-2-low-res.jpg  
Unread 06-17-2013, 02:31 PM   #8
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

nope. nowhere near done. Still fighting with the brake system. I'm in the middle of replacing every single brake part, from the actual pedal and steering column mount bracket to the lines, with parts from a 1974+ so everything will be off the shelf. No mods required to put in parts, no "well the booster is a 73, the MC is a 77, but the booster needs to be modded if you ever replace it" etc.

Also running a dual diaphragm booster from a j20. more oomph!

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #9
super98lsc
Web Wheeler
1999 WJ 

Im liking this J20 booster idea once I have my monster cam in since wont have as much vac. Was thinking hydroboost.
Unread 06-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #10
super98lsc
Web Wheeler
1999 WJ 

One side done back on the road till Saturday morning then I will swap in all the new tie rods/ends and knock out the driver side. Already drives a ton better.
Parts List:
Upper Ball Joint
Lower Ball Joint
All Tie Rods and Rod ends
Inner wheel bearings/races
Outer wheel bearings/races
Spindle/axle bearing and seals
New Rotors - Already had new lines calipers and master cylinder/ceramic pads.
Stripped and repainted everything- Backing plates, axle, etc.
Swapped the Rough Country shocks for Rancho RS9000 Adjustable units, (do this coming weekend with rest of parts ill let you guys know how it works out)
Going to hunt down an XJ lower steering shaft to do the rag joint delete - U-Joint should remove 1/2 inch of slop in the wheel.
Steering box has 150k miles and still seems nice and tight and zero leaks so I plan to leave it alone.

Once I get it done and aligned it should drive like a new Jeep.... well new for 1990
final-passenger-3.jpg   final-passenger-2.jpg   final-passenger-1.jpg  

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.