Flat Towing my 89 FSJ NP229 - knowledge needed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Flat Towing my 89 FSJ NP229 - knowledge needed

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FLASH SALE! Open thread to reveil the Newest Sale @ ROCKRIIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-10-2010, 02:59 PM   #1
twohawks

Flat Towing my 89 FSJ NP229 - knowledge needed

Hi folks,

I want to mount a towbar accessory onto my Jeeps so I can flat tow them (one with the other).

I know my '89 has an NP229 in it, and (I am not there right now but) I think my '85 has the same.
Grand Wagoneers, 5.9L, 4500-5000 lbs each probably. Gear ratios -- ??

I read here that the 300 cannot be towed, but it doesn't say anything about the 229.

Can I flat tow these?
If so, what is the proper procedure for setting it into towing mode?
I don't have lots of money for a $500-$800 setup... is it unsafe to use a Curry or Harbor Freight offering? I saw some Blue Ox's for under $300... recommendations?

I would be grateful for any info, pointers to good threads, etc, you may share.

Cheers,
TwoHawks

twohawks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2010, 06:14 PM   #2
CutterN55
1986 CJ7 

I flat tow mine all the time, I disconnect the drive shaft from the diffs and hang them with cargo straps and unlock the steering wheel. The front bumper is a little flimsy though, and I welded tow bar mounts to the front cross member right next to the frame rails. I towed once using the bumper and it was okay, but i was sweating the whole time.

i bought my tow bar from U-haul.
Unread 09-10-2010, 07:02 PM   #3
twohawks

Thanks for chiming in , Cutter.
So I take it there is no towing these without disconnection? Or that's just your choice method?

Where do you set the automatic shift lever... just neutral, or?
Unread 09-11-2010, 08:57 AM   #4
BJ's Off-Road
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

You want the xfer case in neutral and the transmission in park for flat-tow.
Unread 09-11-2010, 09:32 AM   #5
CutterN55
1986 CJ7 

I agree with BJ's too T-case Neutral/tranny in park, but I hung the driveshafts, because I didn't want anything turning other than the axles. Now I have manual hubs in the front so I only hang the rear.
Unread 09-11-2010, 11:13 AM   #6
twohawks

Thanks guys. That helps a lot.

You know, didn't occur to me, and I am travelling right now so I have to dig and see if the book is with me or in the other Jeep... is towing discussed in the manual? I am just wondering if literature exists on this topic, and if so, where.
Unread 09-29-2010, 10:06 AM   #7
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

Just don't tow them in 4x4

'81 Eagle wagon with upgrades $2500
'87 Comanche shortbox 4.0/AW4/NP242 on 33" tires $3500
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2010, 08:19 PM   #8
twohawks

Its interesting, I have seen some talk about placing xfer case in neutral and then...
....the transmission in neutral as well... as a precaution..., instead of in park -->> the only explanation I glean about that so far being that if the xfer case somehow incidentally jumps into gear you have a chance at not smoking your tranny.
This is mentioned with acknowledgement that Jeep manual (supposedly) states just as "BJ's Off-Road" mentions above. But there is no mention of the "other possibility".

Can anyone explain, mechanically, what is the difference between the two approaches? Does this simply have to do with whether the tranny fluid provides some lubrication while the vehicle is being towed?
Or what exactly?
Unread 10-04-2010, 11:21 PM   #9
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

Actually, if the trans is in park, the trans output shaft can't turn

'81 Eagle wagon with upgrades $2500
'87 Comanche shortbox 4.0/AW4/NP242 on 33" tires $3500
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2010, 03:54 AM   #10
twohawks

That would seem to suggest the possibility that in neutral (and as opposed to 'in park') it could potentially incur rotational motion, thus potentially generating friction+heat on components within ...while the fluids intended for lubrication and cooling are not being "actively" circulated.

If true, the questions in my mind would then be
1) what amount of action and heat might be generated while turning in neutral?, some/too much/enough to matter?
2) is the splashing and dipping in the static pool of fluids "practically" sufficient for lubing and cooling and simply just not "strictly technically recommended"?
3) are there other not-readily-apparent concerns to consider?

I know with (my) Harley, although it is not recommended by the manufacturer to be towing (front tire in a raised cradle method) without, say, removing the chain (or belt in the newer ones), the mechanics generally agree that it does the bike no harm leaving it on and allowing the gears to statically tumble seeing as how they are dipping into the drink, and its splashing around and such. Not that you would want to tow your bike, say, across country like that, ...but no one raises an eyebrow over a few-hundred-miles-tow and then some, even, leaving it linked up. (Not that I would rest easy doing it myself, but at least I don't sweat getting it to the next town's mechanic without the trailer if I need to without all the fuss.)

Back to the Jeep, gotta say, I like the idea of leaving it in neutral as a fallback in case the xfer case somehow locks back in while rolling. I forget if it was posted here or on another site.. guys are recording a video as their friend tows his zj ahead of them and the smoke starts pouring out...
Unread 10-06-2010, 09:39 PM   #11
CutterN55
1986 CJ7 

Just go pull your eight little 5/16 driveshaft bolts and be done with it. I put the tranny in Neutral as a safety in case the "never let me down, but still don't trust it" 229 transfer case catches gear. In case you didn't know, it makes horrible noises when it's not all the way in or out of gear.
Unread 10-10-2010, 06:32 AM   #12
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

T/case in neutral, trans in Park. BUT, be sure the t/case is indeed in neutral by rolling the vehicle while in Park. Had a customer at the dealership back in the day who didn't and he cooked the trans and t/case. Other than that, you're fine to go. No worries.
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2015, 09:42 AM   #13
87hunter
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I have a manual trans - should I still drop the drive shafts??
87hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2015, 10:33 AM   #14
lindel
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87hunter View Post
I have a manual trans - should I still drop the drive shafts??
Put it in gear. Doesn't matter which. With the transfer case in neutral, the transmission will never know the difference.
lindel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
fsj , tow bar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.