Finally got the 77 Wagoneer running, now what? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Finally got the 77 Wagoneer running, now what?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #1
streetraider
1977 FSJ Wagoneer 

Finally got the 77 Wagoneer running, now what?

Hello!

I've been banging my head and scouring this forum for answers for 6 months to get my 77' Wagoneer to start. Since I am new to this, I recently discovered "starter fluid" and gave that a try over the weekend. Sure enough after 6 months of not firing, the Jeep came back to life. To get to this point I had replaced the starter (later found out this was not necessary) and replaced the battery with a higher CCA. The fuel lines look great and the mechanical pump looks new (compared to the other parts).

What other maintenance items must I complete to have it dependable during the winter?

Additional Detail:
Now that I had it run a few times, it starts up without the help of starter fluid but it requires the manual choke to be open, even when the engine is cold. If I have it idling and close the choke, the engine stalls out. Potential problem?

streetraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
CSP

It's not cold enough outside to need to choke it apparently, even if the engine is "cold" relative to operating temperature. It's nothing to worry about and to be expected.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 04:27 PM   #3
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

closing the choke while it is idling shuts out most of the air to the carb thus stalling the engine. you need the richer mixture (closed choke) in the cold temps of winter to make it easier to start. your engine sounds pretty normal to me.
Unread 11-11-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
Renodemona
1976 FSJ Cherokee 

Now you take it to the woods and have fun? After showing off some pictures of course
Renodemona is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 05:54 AM   #5
streetraider
1977 FSJ Wagoneer 

Awesome, thank you for the advice!
streetraider is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.