finally fixed it!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > finally fixed it!!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 07-24-2004, 03:16 PM   #1
robbieaoa
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

finally fixed it!!

Well, for the past month I've been having problems getting my 87 Jeep Wagoneer running properly. I'll start it up and it will run fine for a few minutes then the idle will drop slowly then it will just die. First thing I replaced was the fuel filter figuring it was clogged, turns out that didn't fix it. So after some checking here and there I found the electronics in the distributor bad so I replaced it. TOTALLY figuring that was the problem (well they WERE BAD I'll post pix later) still to no avail I couldn't figure it out. So I read threw jeepforum.com and replaced just about everthing they recommend. (fuel pump, fuel pump relay all new plugs wires and cap/rotor) STILL having problems. I had the fuel pressure tested and it tested fine. Sooo... I figured I would pull a fuel pressure regulator off a jeep over at Pick a part and tried that.

So this morning I ripped the sucker apart and installed the regulator and installed all new O-rings and BAM it works again!!! This is cool because I NOW have to get it smogged and registered. The fact that it wasn't running right was holding me back. So now I'm a happy camper, with that weight off my chest.
4x4 on!!

Thanks for the help guys!!!!
Rob

Last edited by robbieaoa; 07-24-2004 at 03:20 PM..
robbieaoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2004, 01:05 PM   #2
robbieaoa
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Well, turns out I spoke a little too soon. It is running better but it still does this "cycle" of idling, the idle get's slower, then it kicks right back up.

Normal idle for me jeep is around 700 rpm, it will gradually slow down to around 400-500 then shoot up to 800-900. and keep on doing that.

Anyone have any experiance with this? Or is there any direction that you can point me into?
Thanks,
Rob
Unread 07-25-2004, 08:09 PM   #3
wild_weazel

I also have a 87.

When I got mine it wouldn't even start. You had to pump it a whole lot then hold it to the floor. I rebuilt the carb and BAM it started after a few pumps, but it did the same thing as yours. I messed with the idle and got it to where it would stay running in park. It also surged in idle. up above 1000rpm and low enough to kill it (not all the time). But as soon as you put it in any gear it would die. I call around to a few shops here in MN and no one really had any answers for me. So I said the hell with it. I had this problem one other time with a different truck. It was a vacuum problem with that one.

So I went down to the local parts store and bought a bunch of every size vacuum tubing they had. I started in the back and worked my way around the motor. I didn't replace everything, just the stuff that was either really hard or cracked. After I got done I went and strated it up. WOW to my amazment it ran smooth again. I did end up having to fine tune the carb adjustments but ther was nothing to that. It runs great now and I've never had a problem with it since.

That is my suggestion, start replacing the vacuum lines that are bad and maybe it will cure it. Good Luck
wild_weazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2004, 09:57 PM   #4
robbieaoa
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Thanks for the suggestion. I have used some foamy engine brite to see if I can't figure out wether or not there is a vacuum leak.

I think I'll do the same as you and just replace some vac lines.
Rob
Unread 08-01-2004, 02:05 AM   #5
robbieaoa
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Ok, I've replaced some of the vac lines as one had a crack in it and another had a loose fitting elbow.

While I was just getting ready to check out the CPS I noticed a bare wire. It was the one that runs to the detination sensor. I'm pretty sure this wire was rubbing against the suspension every now and then and giving me all my headaches!!!

Needless to say, it's fixed now and all taped up. Thanks for your help and happy trails, I can now take my jeep back off the road!!
Rob

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.