A few waggy issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > A few waggy issues

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 03-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #1
dels74
1974 FSJ Wagoneer 

A few waggy issues

So, I finally get the 74 wag (360, auto, quadra) back on the road. Of course a few issues are popping up. The main one is the left front drive flange clunks in the hub when going from forward to reverse. I know its not u-joints. I have checked Bj's and they don't have the replacements for my year. Anyone know of another source or can I replace with something else? Also, my fuel gauge and temp gauge only work randomly, usually after a hard bump or I pound on the dash, but it only works for a minute. I checked the main plug going to the firewall and wiggled the plug behind dash, nothing changes. Is there a specific place I should look next?

dels74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
timgr
1975 CJ6 

You are talking about the splined steel slug that goes in the end of the axle? It's not generally a wear item. Are you sure it's assembled right? IIRC there is a spring behind it, then the slug goes in, then the snap ring on the end of the axle, and the dust cap.

I know you say it's not the U-joint, but have you looked at the AXLE u-joints or the driveshaft u-joints? That's a more common problem. Also look at the spring end bushings. The Quadratrac is well-known for making a into-reverse clunk due to worn splines on the transmission output shaft - another thing to rule out. Also rule out the double Cardan joint on the front driveshaft - a common failure that will take out your transmission case if it lets go.

If you think it's the slug that's the problem, you should be able to source another one from J&W in Antelope CA, or Jake & Jackie's in NC, or from the IFSJA parts forum.
1) '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps. 2) '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, KOs, 7600 GVWR 3) '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top 4) '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #3
dels74
1974 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgr
You are talking about the splined steel slug that goes in the end of the axle? It's not generally a wear item. Are you sure it's assembled right? IIRC there is a spring behind it, then the slug goes in, then the snap ring on the end of the axle, and the dust cap.

I know you say it's not the U-joint, but have you looked at the AXLE u-joints or the driveshaft u-joints? That's a more common problem. Also look at the spring end bushings. The Quadratrac is well-known for making a into-reverse clunk due to worn splines on the transmission output shaft - another thing to rule out. Also rule out the double Cardan joint on the front driveshaft - a common failure that will take out your transmission case if it lets go.

If you think it's the slug that's the problem, you should be able to source another one from J&W in Antelope CA, or Jake & Jackie's in NC, or from the IFSJA parts forum.
Thanks for the info. I isolated the noise to the hub and then pulled cap off and watched the slack between the slug and hub. This was after I checked and replace all the u-joints. Also verified it was assembled correct according to my chiltons manual.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 03-19-2013, 06:54 PM   #4
CSP

What years does BJ's list replacement for? Any '74-91 Waggie/Grand Waggie will use the same hub/slugs.

You could also google "Dana 44 drive slugs". Any slug for the 19 spline outer axleshaft will work.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2013, 07:07 PM   #5
dels74
1974 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP
What years does BJ's list replacement for? Any '74-91 Waggie/Grand Waggie will use the same hub/slugs.

You could also google "Dana 44 drive slugs". Any slug for the 19 spline outer axleshaft will work.
According to bj's, only years 77-83 on the waggys. I thought they would all be the same as well. I even emailed them to ask, was told only years listed. So now I'm leary of buying one online.

Unread 03-20-2013, 07:44 AM   #6
CSP

Ask them to explain why.

If that were the case you wouldn't find lockout hubs that fit the same axles for a much wider range of years. That's also an option for you. Buy a set of lockouts and just leave them locked all the time.
Unread 03-20-2013, 08:43 AM   #7
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

May want to check spindle bearings, or bent axle end shaft. That's the only thing I can think of that would wear the slugs other than many many miles with worn axle u-joints
RockRollin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2013, 11:18 AM   #8
timgr
1975 CJ6 

Maybe you are mixing parts when you shouldn't? If there is an early and late slug, then they are somehow not compatible, and mixing them could result in a sloppy fit. Just speculating...

I'm having a hard time imagining how that drive slug could have worn enough to be sloppy. It's not a moving part in normal service.
1) '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps. 2) '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, KOs, 7600 GVWR 3) '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top 4) '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Unread 03-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #9
CSP

There is an early and late, but either is completely non-compatible with the other. Early would be '73 and older (external type hub). Late is '74 and newer (internal type hub).
Unread 03-20-2013, 03:10 PM   #10
timgr
1975 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
There is an early and late, but either is completely non-compatible with the other. Early would be '73 and older (external type hub). Late is '74 and newer (internal type hub).
Flanges for a closed-knuckle axle are irrelevant to what the OP posted. He complained that BJ's coverage only covers '77-83. He has a '74 open knuckle axle.

Ok, looking at the parts book... there is a part for '77-on that is 7/8" thick, PN 5357389. this is what BJ's offers. There is also a part for '74-77 that is 1.25" thick, PN 5352616. This is what the OP needs.

I would measure the thickness of the slug and verify that it is 1.25" thick. The replacement part should also be 1.25" thick. I suggest you contact the parts sources I listed previously.
Unread 03-20-2013, 05:58 PM   #11
CSP

You'll have to forgive me timgr. My crystal ball is broken and I wasn't exactly sure what different slugs you were referencing as early and late. I was referring to early open knuckle Dana 44s that had external flanges/slugs and yes, I'm aware they are irrelevant to the OPs problem or what BJs has in stock.
Unread 03-21-2013, 07:57 AM   #12
CSP

I did some checking last night on a friends CJ7 that has Quadratrac and D44 swapped in from a '76 Cherokee that I used to own. In Moab four or five years ago he had a drive flange break and I replaced it with another one that was purchased at Mile Hi Jeep Rebuilders once we got back to Denver. I compared both sides last night and the replacement is thinner than the original that's still in the other side. The only difference is the thickness, therefore the thinner one has a bit less spline engagement. Spline counts and diameters didn't change in the range of year with the different part numbers. Why the difference? Who knows, Jeep did that stuff a LOT.

In addition, aftermarket slugs made by Yukon are not specific to any particular years. As long as the D44 has 19spline outer axleshafts they will fit it. The same thing goes for Solid, Rockcrusher, and RPM Offroad's brands of slugs.

Personally I doubt that the slug is the issue, but the bottom line is that if it is, the different part numbers listed by Jeep do not mean one won't work in the other axle and vice versa.
Unread 03-21-2013, 08:18 AM   #13
dels74
1974 FSJ Wagoneer 

Thanks for all the info guys. As usual, always a great place to find out the specifics.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.