extremly hot engine question and high oil pressure when driving? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > extremly hot engine question and high oil pressure when driving?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 07-30-2012, 09:40 AM   #1
mpatch
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

extremly hot engine question and high oil pressure when driving?

I drove my 89 wagoneer about 20 miles one way and got back to the house and notice the engine was extremly hot. I could barely touch the oil dip stick. Not that familier with engines. Is that normal or should I be concerned. My oil pressure also rides real high until I come to a stop and then it drops down. Does this happen in other jeeps? In addition when I first checked the oil it looked after driving it and then it seemed to go back up after a few minutes. Again normal or not? Any ideas?

Matt:

mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2012, 11:14 AM   #2
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

everything's normal.
engines get crazt hot ridiculously fast. has to do with the fire inside of it.
oil pump is ran off the dist which is ran off the cam. as rpm icreases, so does the pumping of the oil pump.
always check your oil after it's cooled. the oil pump pumps the oil from the bottom to the top, where it drains down through the engine back to the pan. when you shut off the truck, the oil has to drain back down, still.
Unread 07-30-2012, 01:32 PM   #3
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

okay, how about some actual numbers?

"hot" and "high" are both VERY subjective terms.

What does your temp guage say, and what does your oil pressure gauge say?

40-60 PSI is good for oil pressure when running at a normal speed, it'll be closer to 50+ on the highway, at least it SHOULD be. What you should be worried about is how low it goes. My pressure is about 50PSI on the highway, but when i come to a stop it drops to about 13psi, which is pretty much within spec for an old AMC motor. you WANT higher oil pressure (not 'too' high, but most systems have a pressure relief valve to keep it from going over 60)

Temps, thats another thing. Are you saying its hot only because you cant touch the oil dipstick? Thats not a very good method of judging engine temps. if my truck is running at a cool, comfortable 190 degrees, I still cant grab the dipstick, because guess what, 190 is hot to the touch. i cant touch the radiator either.....

your engine should operate between say 180-220 degrees. A stock thermostat in a wag is going to be something like 193*, so it'll always run warmer than that. mine used to cruise on the highway at about 210. i've had it up to 230 which is overheating range, but it still kept on trucking just fine.

we need actual numbers to know if its 'too much' or 'too hot'

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2012, 09:20 AM   #4
mpatch
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Thanks, Let me take a look later and I will get back to you.
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.