exhaust behind the wheel or out the back? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > exhaust behind the wheel or out the back?

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 04-07-2011, 09:12 AM   #1
kfcandtanq
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

exhaust behind the wheel or out the back?

So, I've been thinking about getting a new exhaust system on my Waggy.
It's an 85, and looks original... and the pipe is feeling pretty soft in quite a few spots.

A buddy of mine works at a muffler shop, and I can have hime bend something up for pretty cheap.

I was trying to remember if there was a thread where somebody warned against running the pipes out the back, rather than behind the wheel.

I think it was about how the exhaust fumes could pull back around through the rear window seal when driving?

What are your guys thoughts?

kfcandtanq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2011, 11:53 AM   #2
Sykd4MyWaggy
2007 JK Wrangler 

Mine stops about 2-3 feet behind the driver seat. I don't smell a thing and I think it sounds much better too.

I think there is a mythbuster episode that sort of talks about this in a weird way. The episode was about gas mileage in a pickup truck, they did tests with a canopy, tailgate up, tailgate down, after market "MPG saver tailgates and cargo netting. The results were that the stock tailgate in the closed position produced the best gas mileage because there is a vacuum that builds a circular canopy effect in the truck bed and the air rides over the invisible barrier making it more aerodynamic....

Anyway, I saw a diagram either on that show or somewhere on the net (maybe someone has that handy)showing that behind some flat backed station wagon type vehicles, this same effect happens in a cone shape behind the vehicles at speed and you can get fumes or dust or whatever to get trapped in there for a while until it finds its way out and if you have bad seals at the rear of the vehicle, the obvious happens.

I'm lament regarding this stuff, but like I said, they put it on the discovery channel and it makes sense to me I guess.
Sykd4MyWaggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2011, 12:48 PM   #3
firegod33
1977 CJ5 

Exhaust exiting in front of the rear wheels gets tiresome on the ears after a while. Only way I'll do an exhaust anymore is full length. I've also experienced some permanent hearing loss from short, loud exhaust systems.
Unread 09-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #4
Obi-Wan
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I know this is an old thread, but I'm currently on a witch hunt for the gas fumes that plague my '77 Wagoneer. The exhaust is a new, custom replacement, but exits to the side behind the rear wheel. You can see the exhaust in this photo:
http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/wago..._6428_1200.jpg

My rear window seals are completely shot. Do you think that the bad seals could be letting in enough fumes at around-town speeds that I'd be able to easily smell them from the driver seat (even with a window down)?

I don't see any evidence of leaking fuel lines either in the engine or back by the fuel filler. I'd love to get this problem cleared up before the weather turns cold and I have my windows up all the time.
Obi-Wan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 12:45 PM   #5
super98lsc
Web Wheeler
1999 WJ 

Exhaust fumes will come right up through the rust holes in the rear quarters. Patch them up with a piece of dynamat from the inside to seal out the outside air.
I know on my 90 I had the pipe/muffler dumping just at the rear axle under the truck and I could not dare open the tailgate window at any speed without choking myself to death.

When the pipe was run like factory behind the wheels on the side I had no such issues.
===================================
00 WJ 4x4, 4.7 stroker, turbocharged,..lots more..
01 WJ 4x2 4.7v8 Limited (needs valve job)
90 Grand Wagoneer 401 Edelbrock Heads, Lunati .510/.527 FT Cam, Edelbrock RPM Air Gap, Holley HP 750, Thorley Headers, HEI, Electric Fan w Digital controller,4" lift 31x10.50 Goodyear Duratrac's on Pro-Comp Wheels,new interior, seats,seals,Alpine and JL full system, Remote HEI, Clifford 2 way with remote start,windows,tailgate.
96 Cherokee Country 4dr/2x2 White/Tan 3" Lift Sahara 18" Wheels 32.5"'s 99up head and intake- for sale soon!
super98lsc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2013, 08:17 AM   #6
WilliamMc
1986 CJ7 

In most States, the state inspection requires that the exhaust must exit past the passenger compartment. ( I was a state inspecter for a while here in Texas) Which in a truck taking it just past the cab and ending before the rear axle is fine. (Unless it has a camper shell). But in any SUV, Like a Wagoneer, the whole thing is passanger compartment. So it legaly must go either out the back or out the side in frount or rear of the rear tires as long as it goes to or past the edge of the body. Which all this is a really good idea with this type vehical. I personaly prefer out the side in frount of the rear wheel. Its sporter, and I think more protected. (Nascar style I call it) I really feel strait out the back is dated and old style, but thats just me, (No offense anyone). I ran my J-10 as a 2 into 1- 3" with a 3" flowmaster and turn down before the rear axle, (Im a truck) I like the tone. I used a Magnaflow "Scavenging" Y-pipe which test shows produces more HP and TQ as a two into one 3" , than a tru dual pipe system
WilliamMc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2013, 08:31 AM   #7
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

If you are going to take it off road over larger rocks, stumps, etc I have found the best place is behind the rear wheel.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2013, 10:21 AM   #8
super98lsc
Web Wheeler
1999 WJ 

Agreed on the behind the wheel deal. And on the wagon if you want to enjoy windows,tailgate window down driving I can tell you 100% certainty you will gag to death on fumes with it exiting pre axle under the body in any way, shape, form. when the 401 is finally installed and done I will be side exiting again for certain.
===================================
00 WJ 4x4, 4.7 stroker, turbocharged,..lots more..
01 WJ 4x2 4.7v8 Limited (needs valve job)
90 Grand Wagoneer 401 Edelbrock Heads, Lunati .510/.527 FT Cam, Edelbrock RPM Air Gap, Holley HP 750, Thorley Headers, HEI, Electric Fan w Digital controller,4" lift 31x10.50 Goodyear Duratrac's on Pro-Comp Wheels,new interior, seats,seals,Alpine and JL full system, Remote HEI, Clifford 2 way with remote start,windows,tailgate.
96 Cherokee Country 4dr/2x2 White/Tan 3" Lift Sahara 18" Wheels 32.5"'s 99up head and intake- for sale soon!
super98lsc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.