Electric Fan update- Taurus Dakota Digital Controller - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Electric Fan update- Taurus Dakota Digital Controller

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 06-28-2013, 01:11 PM   #1
super98lsc
Web Wheeler
1999 WJ 

Electric Fan update- Taurus Dakota Digital Controller

Those that do the E-Fan make certain you run a freewheeling diode. I used a low cost e-bay fan and the motor failed on me after a few months. Upon doing some research I discovered they do not have internal freewheeling diodes which dissipate the current that is generated by the fan motor when its spinning (freewheeling) while flying down the highway without power applied. It becomes a generator and feeds current back to the relay when shut down with very high spikes/arcs of voltage that can zap across the relay. Also apparently bad for the motor windings.

I had built my own controller using a Zener Diode for the AC clutch and a few 4 Pin 40amp relays with a Manual push in t-stat. No issues there but it lacked some good features that make an e-fan more efficient etc. I ended up with Dakota Digital PAC 2750. For only 114 shipped with 1 70 amp relay its not a bad deal at all. I purchased a second 70amp relay/harness for the dual speed function of this fan. The unit features fully programmable start/stop temps for both speeds so it will function like a factory fan in a PCM controlled car. Runs on low speed within a certain range and if it cannot maintain that temp it will upshift to high speed. Also ties in with the AC and has what is called a SOFT start function meaning it will start out on low speed then crank up to high vs just slamming the ALT with a 100+ amp spike at startup. The next cool thing is it allows a shutdown delay to be programmed so if the engine is warm at shutoff it will run the fan for as many minutes as you want until the temps come down under the hood. Nice deal to remove the massive amount of under hood heat and keep the engine cool for the next crank. The temp input for the controller ties into the existing Jeep sending unit so no added sensor or push through radiator probes etc. The setback built it also allows the fan to shut down and not kick on/off/on/off when the temp is hovering really close to the manual stat settings. Figured I would share this jewel as its 2 year warranty and seems well made. I will post pictures (if forums working) showing the installation and programming. Also has a fail safe so if the sending unit goes bad the fan just defaults to On with the key to get you home.

===================================
00 WJ 4x4, 4.7 stroker, turbocharged,..lots more..
01 WJ 4x2 4.7v8 Limited (needs valve job)
90 Grand Wagoneer 401 Edelbrock Heads, Lunati .510/.527 FT Cam, Edelbrock RPM Air Gap, Holley HP 750, Thorley Headers, HEI, Electric Fan w Digital controller,4" lift 31x10.50 Goodyear Duratrac's on Pro-Comp Wheels,new interior, seats,seals,Alpine and JL full system, Remote HEI, Clifford 2 way with remote start,windows,tailgate.
96 Cherokee Country 4dr/2x2 White/Tan 3" Lift Sahara 18" Wheels 32.5"'s 99up head and intake- for sale soon!
super98lsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 10:04 PM   #2
super98lsc
Web Wheeler
1999 WJ 

installed, programmed and working awesome. I'll try to post pics tomorrow
90 Grand Wagoneer 401 Edelbrock Heads, Lunati .510/.527 FT Cam, Edelbrock RPM Air Gap, Holley HP 750, Thorley Headers, HEI, Electric Fan w Digital controller,4" lift 31x10.50 Goodyear Duratrac's on Pro-Comp Wheels,new interior, seats,seals,Alpine and JL full system, Remote HEI, Clifford 2 way with remote start,windows,tailgate.
96 Cherokee Country 4dr/2x2 White/Tan 3" Lift Sahara 18" Wheels 32.5"'s 99up head and intake- for sale soon!
Unread 06-30-2013, 10:07 PM   #3
jeepin87
1998 ZJ 

I'm really interested in your setup. I've been looking for a quality relay control system that will work with the Taurus fan.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited 4.5" LA/33"s
1999 WJ 4.0 Limited
2003 Ram 1500 w/built 12v cummins
2004 Ram 2500 Cummins tow rig
jeepin87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #4
super98lsc
Web Wheeler
1999 WJ 

I will get pictures tonight.
Its about 95 outside today and the A/C is blowing in the high 30's to low 40s depending on blower speed and vehicle speed. At a light its 46-48 idling which is great for a conversion system with the original serpentine condensing unit. When/If the system dies I will install a new compressor and a modern Parallel Flow condensing unit / Dryer to increase performance even more.
The fan is awesome now, the low speed engages as needed at 205 (where i set it for now) and shuts down at 185. If the temp rises above 205 the high speed will engage at 207 then down shift back to low at 195.
Fan is on high with the AC compressor. Shuts down or idles back to low speed when the clutch cycles out depending on engine temps.
The fan starts on low then upshifts to high preventing a shock to the alternator.
Upgraded my charge wire to a full 4ga. from the 144amp Police/Taxi alt to the battery.
Have a 4ga from the battery to the remote starter relay on the passenger fender.
Even with the AC/Fans/Lights/Stereo on I maintain 13.4 on the volt gauge at idle. Considering the Taurus fan pulls a steady 32 amps this is nice to see.
The cool down feature is nice, if the truck is above 205 at shutdown then the fan will stay on after the key has shut off for up to 1 minute until the engine has cooled off. If it pulls down under 185 in less than 1 minute it will shut off earlier than the 1m timer. I have found in the triple digit heat this works well to keep heat soaking off the carb and keep the engine cool for warm restarts. The timer is adjustable as are the fan on/off settings for both speeds. The product is of seriously high quality and really easy to setup and calibrate. Best of all no more stupid probe sticking through the radiator as this ties in with the factory sending unit for the gauge. It also has a low voltage detection that will bypass the cool-down feature if the battery voltage is too low. Seems like the Dakota Digital engineers thought of most things. I know there are other companies offering PWM controllers but I just feel better with a 2 speed motor and analog relays vs dealing with solid state devices that can overheat and fail open leaving me without a fan at all. At least with this device if necessary and BOTH relays failed I can just slide in a jumper wire that will allow the fan to run until I reach home. I will take some photos of my wiring /harnesses / relays / 100amp circuit breaker tonight
Unread 12-31-2013, 07:29 AM   #5
dzrtrataz

wheres the pics and are you still happy with the controller
dzrtrataz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2013, 06:27 PM   #6
super98lsc
Web Wheeler
1999 WJ 

Actually yes I installed two more of them one in my 65 suburban with an lt1 and the 63 galaxie with ls1. I have had the engine out of the wagon with the built crammed and ported 401 in the machine shop as I type this. Should be back so I can install it in about 3 weeks were waiting on final bore size so bulltear can make the pistons for me. I'm using 10:1 with the 1990 heads ported and solid 3 angle valve job. Should make good power on 93 octane. I may stall the installation so I can do the 4l80e swap at the same time. Pics are at photos.mangierisrodandcustom.com

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.