Dual exhaust..one side cold..for bit... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Dual exhaust..one side cold..for bit...

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-08-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
JUNK726
1983 CJ7 

Dual exhaust..one side cold..for bit...

well..tfi upgrade done..my 360 purrs now! BUT i am in process of making SURE i am getting spark at ALL my cylinders!..but here's why i am curious..the right bank exhaust (NO cats on my exhaust..no emissions needed!)...it seems cold as i run it/idle it...drive it...other pipe is immediately warm...headers are BOTH hot...also seeing condensation coming out of the same cold side/some white smoke...(goes away)...just curious if u guys got any ideas past checking spark...makin sure all cylinders are firing...? OR is this "normal"? and i should shut up and hit the gas! thanks again all! now i am onto the interior resto!!

JUNK726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Is the heat bypass valve open. Its on the passenger side? Worth a shot.
RockRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
JUNK726
1983 CJ7 

GREAT call! soon as i read it i remembered seeing the hard line coming from the passenger side bank header towards carb..(NOT being used) PO had it circled in the original manual and circled "$100"...hmmm..makes me think it either does not work/function? any ideas on if i can remove it somehow? or just open it up for good maybe...? got an Edelbrock carb on it so i guess i won't need this bypass valve anymore..? THANKS so much! makes sense to me now...wow..love this forum..u guys rule!
Unread 05-08-2013, 06:29 PM   #4
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

The spring loaded, weighted valve between the manifold and exhaust pipe can be permanently open. That little weight/rod thingy is in line with the valve. So if its horizontal, its closed, and its heating the heck out of your intake manifold.
Unread 05-08-2013, 07:16 PM   #5
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

If I'm not mistaken the heat riser valve defaults to the open position, unless it is stuck/rusted closed.( And in that case the manifold would be hotter than the other side due to the restriction, and the exhaust being forced thru the smaller passage of the intake) I think if the manifold is running that cool, I would do a compression test, and a pressure test on the cooling system. This would be to check for a blown head gasket, might keep a eye on the antifreeze level as well.
Edit, are you using headers or the factory exhaust manifolds, headers most likely would not have the heat riser valve, also do you have a EGR?
Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 07:25 PM   #6
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

He had siad both headers were hot, I assumed manifolds. That and the immediately comment. Mine was stuck barely open, I cut the valve off and plugged the holes
Unread 05-08-2013, 07:30 PM   #7
JUNK726
1983 CJ7 

ok! great info! well..its not stuck..i can manually move it back n forth...factory exhaust manifolds...(woopsy i referred to em as headers..but..)...looks like PO had new dual exhausts with no name mufflers..coolant level hasn't waivered...ii do have the egr/cto and most vacuum lines correctly routed (i hope anyways)...the intake is an edelbrock performer and seems ok temp wise..i have spark at all cylinders...here's the strange part...i am still dialing in the timing..BUT when she idles for a bit the driver side exhaust (left side as sitting in driver seat) starts to make a sort of "popping"/knocking noise..? from the muffler area (NOT under hood!)...thought it was maybe muffler hitting frame or underside.but dont think so...is this where "pinging" can occur? because my timing may be off? or am i off track?/bigger problems maybe? i will do compression test asap too! thanks guys!!
Unread 05-08-2013, 07:52 PM   #8
JUNK726
1983 CJ7 

sum more quick info...not sure which way i should leave that valve..i tried safety wire to hold it "open"?? (not in normal position as it sat) i took off the spring...but when i start her up seems heat is same on manifolds and downpipes on exhaust back to muffler...BUT the muffler at the side i find to be "colder" is cool also! other muffler is hot! so maybe i will pull muffler and see if maybe it is blocked..? kinda strange..but just workin out the ghosts on this thing! thanks guys!!
Unread 05-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #9
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

Are you running 'true duals' or is there a 'cross pipe' joining the two sides. Could be one muffler is more restrictive.
Unread 05-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #10
JUNK726
1983 CJ7 

looks like PO installed (fairly recently-ish) true duals...no crossovers...i have narrowed it down to the muffler for sure...stays warm while other one is hotter...then it heats up..but takes a lot longer...still gonna do a compression test just for peace of mind all around..thanks to everyone for the valuable info..this newb is learnin fast!
Unread 05-10-2013, 07:47 AM   #11
jeepdj5
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Are the mufflers the same? Are they very rusty? I have seen mice build a best in the muffler of a ford can with duals, I was like 10 at the time and the guy working on it was adjusting the carb saying what the crap why won't this run right, I said TOM THE EXHAUST MANIFOLDS ARE RED HOT!! I can't believe he did not notice, the dog house was off and you could clearly see the manifold and he was working from the dog house! Went to the tail pipe, no air was coming out!! But in your case it seems that air is coming out so maybe one is more restricted. My 258 in my Cherokee exhaust is always hot.....

if only gas was cheaper
jeepdj5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.