Doors Won't Shut - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 03-31-2010, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
JacksonsHole

Doors Won't Shut

So I just got a '71 J2000 (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f57/7...6/#post9177925) and already finding the issues.

The doors won't shut all the way. I can slam them closed enough....but at hwy speeds that may not be a great idea. I tried with the handle button pressed, unpressed, from inside, from outside....and both l/r seem to have the same issue.

Am I just dumb (I've worked on a '99, '01, and '06 jeep...never a classic) and is there something simple, or is this bad...like a bent frame?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-31-2010, 08:30 PM
JeepOrvis97
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Mine had a spring that would pop loose, it like holds the "rotor" thing in place against the ratchet thing the handle releases. Hard to describe haha. Best advice I'd give you is to remove the whole latch assembly and get a feel for how it works and then you'll be able to see where this "spring" goes. Oh, and BTW, I'm assuming your latch is the "round" style.

Current jeeps:
1997 ZJ Orvis
1997 TJ 4.0L 5-speed
1993 YJ Sahara Trail Rig
post #3 of 5 Old 04-01-2010, 01:43 AM
GCX2450
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Try wd-40 first, could just be stuck. A bang of the hammer and a prodding with a screw driver couldn't hurt either.

post #4 of 5 Old 04-01-2010, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
JacksonsHole

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepOrvis97 View Post
Best advice I'd give you is to remove the whole latch assembly and get a feel for how it works and then you'll be able to see where this "spring" goes. Oh, and BTW, I'm assuming your latch is the "round" style.
Does look round to me - and I probably will pull the whole door apart at some time (speakers need to go somewhere!). I'll need to get used to how these handles work too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCX2450 View Post
Try wd-40 first, could just be stuck. A bang of the hammer and a prodding with a screw driver couldn't hurt either.
I usually start with a hammer and work from there. I just need to figure out where to bang without causing more damage than I start with (a common issue).

I still have a feeling if I lift the door it'll shut. I just haven't gone outside to try it yet (lazy and crappy weather). I'm hoping it's just 30 years of weighing down on the hinges making it a little saggy.

post #5 of 5 Old 04-02-2010, 08:12 AM
JeepOrvis97
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Totally forgot about taking the door panels off lol. Mine were in the back of my truck all waterlogged when I bought mine. I guess it would add some more time to taking the latch out. Oh, and hammers and door latches have never been a good thing in my experience.

Current jeeps:
1997 ZJ Orvis
1997 TJ 4.0L 5-speed
1993 YJ Sahara Trail Rig

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.