Do it myself or have a shop??? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 04-07-2010, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
bill3
1981 J-Series Truck 

Do it myself or have a shop???

I changed out my rear end out awhile back from a AMC 20 to a Chevy 10 bolt with 3.73's and a factory locker. Iíve since learned that the AMC 20 would have been a better and stronger rear end if I had changed to solid axles. Oh well live and learn. Iím not sure of the gears in the front and know I canít put it into 4wd till I know that they are the same front and rear. I've been told that 3.73's in a j10 factory are rear. So I'm going to check this weekend and see whats in the front. I have checked around and it looks to be round $500 to $600 to have a shop change my gears. I have found a set of 3.73 gears for $100 and 4x4 parts has a master install kit for $91.95. Iím thinking of doing this myself, what do yall think? My dad has done it before on his stock car a long time ago and says itís not too hard. But his stock car didn't matter if they were alittle noisy. Heís on the fence weather to attempt it on my truck. His friend has the measuring tools to do it. Itíd save me some money and I would learn how to do it. Plus I'd be able to change them to a 4.56 latter on if I switch back to 35's

LIFE IS TO SHORT FOR ANGRY PEOPLE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-07-2010, 08:26 PM
BJ's Off-Road
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

I answered your post on IFSJA as well.

Just so you know, we can get anything 4wheel parts has but cheaper...

www.bjsoffroad.com
post #3 of 8 Old 04-07-2010, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
bill3
1981 J-Series Truck 

I'll be calling you tomorrow

post #4 of 8 Old 04-08-2010, 08:20 AM
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill3 View Post
Iíve since learned that the AMC 20 would have been a better and stronger rear end if I had changed to solid axles.
A fullsize Jeep AMC 20 already has one-piece axles. It's the CJ version of the 20 that is problematic.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-08-2010, 08:24 AM
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
A fullsize Jeep AMC 20 already has one-piece axles. It's the CJ version of the 20 that is problematic.
It has 2-piece welded axle shafts from the factory, but the point is still valid. You don't need to change them out until you exceed the 36" tire range and run a good amount of power. The FSJ AMC20 housing is much stronger, as well. Bigger tubes, pressed in farther, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!

Last edited by PavementPounder; 04-08-2010 at 11:13 PM.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-08-2010, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
bill3
1981 J-Series Truck 

I will keep an eye out for a nother one then. Rite now I just want to be able to use my 4wd.

post #7 of 8 Old 04-08-2010, 11:19 PM
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Here's the pic of the factory-welded 2pc FSJ AMC 20 shaft:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
post #8 of 8 Old 04-09-2010, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
bill3
1981 J-Series Truck 

POWER I HAVE And I'm never going to run more than 35x15.50x15's. But honestly when I do upgrade I'm going to go with 1 ton's But thats in the future. Have other issues to dill with first.
Well I've decided to leave the front axle to the shop. I started adding up everything and I'm at half the price with no warranty . Plus thatís with a used factory 3.73. I talked to the shop and he's installing an aftermarket ring and pinion. They also can have it done for me the same day if I drop it off in the morning at the latest the next day. Pop was saying that itís going to take us all weekend to do at the house and no warranties So no giving up that second job for now

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.