Ditch the Vacuum - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Ditch the Vacuum

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-01-2013, 09:04 AM   #1
KC87Wagoneer
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Ditch the Vacuum

I have an 1987 Grand Wagoneer and I am updating the Carb and Intake to Edelbrock performer and the 1406. This is the non EGR package. I hate Vacuum. My last rebuild, a CA built 66 mustang with emmisions had one vacuum line on it when I was done.

I want to know what I have to keep and what I can trash. Please keep in mind that for this beast I do not want to kill my MPG either and would rather keep more vacuum that sacrafice fuel efficiency. My GW does not have a smog pump, was not CA built but still has a ton of vacuum. I know I have competing motives here so I am looking for advice from someone who has removed their own vacuum lines to tell me what can go and what the MPG difference was.

Thank you,

003.jpg  
KC87Wagoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 09:07 AM   #2
jeepdj5
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Trash every thing accept heat vacuum, and vacuum advance! And if it has working cruse I would keep that too, I'm only using one vacuum can/battery/holder what u macallit for my heat and cruse.

Sent from my fsj Cherokee chief using JeepForum
jeepdj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 09:37 AM   #3
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

popular topic

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f57/v...73/index2.html
Must be cabin fever. This should cover most of your questions.
RockRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2014, 03:26 PM   #4
mkimball72
1986 FSJ Wagoneer 

Can I get a picture of a super simple vacuum setup that has zero emission control remaining. Want as close to zero vacuum lines as possible. Thanks
mkimball72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2014, 01:15 PM   #5
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

While these pictures aren't specifically of the vacuum lines, they do show minimal amounts of 'stuff' in the engine bay. I intend to clean it up a bit more as I go. I still need to remove the hose/lines that mount to the exhaust manifolds. I'm afraid to snap off a bolt though...

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2014, 01:51 PM   #6
mkimball72
1986 FSJ Wagoneer 

Pics didn't come thru.?
Unread 01-17-2014, 02:00 PM   #7
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Weird. I can see them here. Anyone else having an issue?

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2014, 10:26 AM   #8
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

When I put a 1987 engine in my 1973, the 87 engine was covered with a web of vacuum lines. CTO's everywhere.

I ended up using my 73 intake on it, which already had the EGR deleted, and all the smog crap was long gone. I believe the only vacuum I have no is the brake booster, the PCV, transmission modulator thing, HVAC and Advance for the dizzy.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2014, 06:58 PM   #9
mkimball72
1986 FSJ Wagoneer 

where did you run the vacuum advance?
Unread 02-01-2014, 05:41 PM   #10
mkimball72
1986 FSJ Wagoneer 

I assume you run it off the carb. I have the stock 2 barrel. I currently have it run off the front right port (facing the engine).? Also, I've installd warn locking hubs on my 86. Do I still need to hit the vacuum switch when engaging the 4 wheel drive? I assume not.
Unread 02-01-2014, 07:56 PM   #11
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Be absolutely, positive that you lock in the hubs BEFORE you engage 4wd, or you will be learning how to swap a transfer case. If 4wd is engaged and the hubs are not locked in, all the power will be going to the front (least resistance), and it will fry the viscous coupling in the transfer case.
RockRollin is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.