Directions on changing out fuel filter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Directions on changing out fuel filter

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsLabor Day Sale!

Unread 05-04-2013, 10:03 PM   #1
mpatch
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Directions on changing out fuel filter

Was recommend to move my fuel filter away from engine so I figured I would change out the filter in process not sure last time it was done. Anyone have recommendations / directions and ideas on how to mount?

Thanks

mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 06:28 AM   #2
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

Are you running an electric fuel pump?
The filter needs to be after the fuel pump if mechanical due to the return line. I'm not sure if moving it from its stock location of over the intake would work out very well, and most folks have theirs in stock location.
What is the theory behind moving it, vapor lock?
RockRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 07:41 AM   #3
CSP

Why was it recommended to move it away from the engine? Millions of vehicles have it right there in the engine area or even built into the carburetor.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #4
mpatch
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

It was recommend in case anything happened it would not be a fire hazards. I would just run longer tubing so nothing would really change on its hook up just where placed.
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 11:50 PM   #5
revelc
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatch
It was recommend in case anything happened it would not be a fire hazards. I would just run longer tubing so nothing would really change on its hook up just where placed.

image-3845229134.jpg

I don't see a roller coaster of fuel lines in the engine compartment being any safer. My main concern would now be finding someone with REAL advice and not theories. If I had my way engines would use magnets instead of connecting rods on horizontally opposed cylinders to create a near non resistance engine. It of course would run on refined unicorn flatulence.

A.
If you are worried about fuel catching fire; Check for leaks(given), if it does leak it still needs spark, so make sure there aren't any scraggly wires arcing away on your manifold scribing reverse brail as you cruise down the road, also if you've hooned your ignition up and screwed up timing to the point it's backfiring GET A TIMING LIGHT. Those steps would ensure your car is as safe as everyone else driving with that set up.

B.
If you really want to be safe; come up with a non-cheapo electric fuel pump, figure out how to regulate the pressure, put a filter somewhere in there, and run a line up your tranny and into the valley.

C.
Swap a Diesel engine in. Diesel takes a lot to get going in terms of fires. The mileage and power would just be icing on the cake

I just keep a $23 extinguisher in my Jeep

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.