Difference between 2 control ignition control modules for Grand Wagoneer? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Difference between 2 control ignition control modules for Grand Wagoneer?

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-13-2012, 12:29 PM   #1
ed1
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

Difference between 2 control ignition control modules for Grand Wagoneer?

Hi everyone, My 88 Grand Wagoneer is at the shop right now getting a major tune up (on a tight budget) just fixing the necessary, not looking for high performance yet, and my mechanic told me that I will probably need a new ignition control module. I was checking on grandwagoneer.com just to see the price and I noticed that there is one factory replacement for the 78-87 models for almost $30.00 and another one (premium reproduction) for the 88-91 for almost $70.00 , I see that there is almost a $40.00 difference which is a lot for 2 identical parts, My question is what is the difference between these two? What happens if I just install the factory one that fits from 78-87 on my 88? Thanks

ed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #2
realmccoy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Its been a while scents I replaced mine but if I remember right there not the same ,
Not sure what all is different about them but they do have different plugs I know that cause they gave me the wrong one at advance one time .
Unread 12-13-2012, 06:55 PM   #3
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

I would say if it hasn't been cutting out while running, and. It's Idling reasonably well, maybe not a control issue. I am also a believer in the TFI upgrade. It's not much more expensive than a full tune up. The parts are only around $120. and you'll make it up in an extra 1-2mpg. Get the tune up, drive it a while then decide on the control box. Also look at MSD 5522 for control upgrade. The stock ignition system in these things are a weak link in the chain of Awesomeness.
RockRollin is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.