Difference between 2 control ignition control modules for Grand Wagoneer? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Difference between 2 control ignition control modules for Grand Wagoneer?

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 12-13-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
ed1
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

Difference between 2 control ignition control modules for Grand Wagoneer?

Hi everyone, My 88 Grand Wagoneer is at the shop right now getting a major tune up (on a tight budget) just fixing the necessary, not looking for high performance yet, and my mechanic told me that I will probably need a new ignition control module. I was checking on grandwagoneer.com just to see the price and I noticed that there is one factory replacement for the 78-87 models for almost $30.00 and another one (premium reproduction) for the 88-91 for almost $70.00 , I see that there is almost a $40.00 difference which is a lot for 2 identical parts, My question is what is the difference between these two? What happens if I just install the factory one that fits from 78-87 on my 88? Thanks

ed1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2012, 03:20 PM   #2
realmccoy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Its been a while scents I replaced mine but if I remember right there not the same ,
Not sure what all is different about them but they do have different plugs I know that cause they gave me the wrong one at advance one time .
Unread 12-13-2012, 07:55 PM   #3
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

I would say if it hasn't been cutting out while running, and. It's Idling reasonably well, maybe not a control issue. I am also a believer in the TFI upgrade. It's not much more expensive than a full tune up. The parts are only around $120. and you'll make it up in an extra 1-2mpg. Get the tune up, drive it a while then decide on the control box. Also look at MSD 5522 for control upgrade. The stock ignition system in these things are a weak link in the chain of Awesomeness.
RockRollin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
grand wagoneer , ignition , module

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.