10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #166 of 183 Old 08-28-2017, 05:46 PM
Skerr
1985 CJ7 

How you doing, Dave?

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 183 Old 08-30-2017, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
1978 FSJ Cherokee 

Doing just fine Scott, work is good, the Cherokee project is moving forward although slowly but my mom is sick. I spend a good deal of time over with her and my dad while she battles her issues and help as I can, often it's just being over there that lifts her up. No time for peppers or chickens but I will get to both in the next few years.

Dave's 78 Build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #168 of 183 Old 08-31-2017, 06:42 PM
Skerr
1985 CJ7 

Moms are special. Hang in there, bud.

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!

post #169 of 183 Old 09-03-2017, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
1978 FSJ Cherokee 

I don't know if ya'll find the rambling rants funny or entertaining at all but tonight was special.

I worked off and on today cleaning up accessories and bolting them back on to the engine, I had the balancer in EvapoRust overnight and cleaned it up and shot it with some flat black spray paint. Late this afternoon I put it on the crank snout and there was no way the old bolt would reach the threads. I went inside, ate dinner and searched the 'net and it didn't look like I would find a 16.0 x 2.0 metric bolt or threaded rod locally but I thought I would try Lowes and TSC, on the way I called Autozone and they had a balancer installation tool for rent so I skipped Lowe's and TSC and headed to Autozone, it had the 16.0 x 2.0 attachment so I headed back to the house. It's about a 20 mile roundtrip to that area and 45 minutes or so.

I get home, assemble the tool and it won't fit in the crank snout, bummed, I went back inside and started searching the 'net again, it's like 7:45. Lowe's listed some 16.0 x 2.0 metric bolts but I thought trying to get an employee to find the bolt would be a waste of time so I headed back out, now this is about a 15 mile round trip and 30 minutes or so. I get to Lowe's at 8:10, they are closed, bummed again and now kinda ticked I didn't check the hours I headed home.

I go inside and watch some Youtube videos of folks installing the balancer with long bolts, threaded rod and a tool specific for the job that cost 40 bucks from Summit. Now I though about cutting the head off the old bolt and welding another bolt to the end and making my own tool so I go back to the garage and did just that. Now who would have thought I wouldn't have ONE 5/8" nut in the garage? Seriously, I just sorted gallons of hardware and not ONE 5/8" bolt in the garage. I was ready to start kicking stuff, now seriously bummed, I set down on a five gallon bucket and I'm staring at the frame and springs, looking at the painted black nut on the end of the spring...DAMN

So the bolt worked great, the carb cleaner I used to clean the crank snout jacked up the new paint but I got the balancer installed...some day's it pays not to give up

I need to paint the engine mount plates and then I can bolt it back in the frame this week.

Dave's 78 Build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #170 of 183 Old 09-04-2017, 01:39 PM
Skerr
1985 CJ7 

Too funny, Dave. Remarkable you didn't have a 5/8s bolt. I stub my toes on them in the yard and fling 'em around with the lawnmower! You shoulda come over and got one or two.

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

post #171 of 183 Old 09-10-2017, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
1978 FSJ Cherokee 

I have a lot of weeds on my place with St. Augustine and Bermuda mixed in here and there and even though I have over-seeded the weeds have grown better than even the devil's grass. There is a lot of runoff during heavy rains that I think wash off the topsoil and the blistering heat compounds the problem so I thought it might be worthwhile to top dress the yard with compost.

Friday night I added two foot plywood on my small 5x8 single axle utility trailer and that would be perfect for 3 yards of compost, only one problem, it was maxed out at 1.5 yards, like maxed out tires rubbing the rear of the fenders and smoking hot. I had to do some creative metal work to get home.

My initial plan rather than paying 30 bucks for delivery of 5 yards minimum, was to drag the trailer around the yard behind the GT6000 and shovel it out, but since I am trying to improve the lawn I didn't want to create ruts so I used the wheelbarrow. This is according to the 'net, supposed to be the cats-A$$ for improving soil and it was a lot of work. I ended up with 4.5 yards total and didn't quite cover the yard but close, started at 8 and finished at 4:45 with a few breaks for water and lunch.

I spent 25 bucks on the plywood and probably 15 bucks on gas so it will definitely be worth the 30 bucks for 5 yards delivered next time.

Jeep Update:

My plan for the remainder of the day is to finish the engine mounts. I drilled the hole for the puck with a 1 1/8" hole saw and I don't know if it's my technique or the tool but they always seem to walk. I have close to a 1 1/4" hole and only need 1" so I am welding it closed and trying a 1" saw. If I can find a way to swap the drill bit for a rod I will try that and see if it cuts better.

I hoped to get the engine in this weekend but it probably won't happen because I need to re-paint the mounts.

Dave's 78 Build
post #172 of 183 Old 09-10-2017, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
1978 FSJ Cherokee 

Bent the hole saw bit as soon as it hit the metal, on to plan "B"...cut a slice out of 1" 16ga tubing and welding that in the original hole.

After that was finished I decided to do a trial fit before painting the mounts and I am glad I did, the puck on the universal mounts from Speedway are deforming over the flat washer. The puck is almost hollow inside, shaped like a toilet plunger so I don't think it would take very long for it to deform with heat and engine movement. Oddly, that particular mount had very good comments on multiple hot rod websites. Maybe they all used 4-bangers

I am going to do what I planned all long and use plain polyurethane pucks top and bottom with a straight shank bolt, so that means welding up the 1" hole *again* and starting fresh.

The engine looks really tilted at 6 degrees matching the pinion angle but the 6.0 in my truck is right at 6.5 degress.

Dave's 78 Build
post #173 of 183 Old 09-11-2017, 12:20 AM
AZ_Chip
1981 FSJ Cherokee 

Oh, You have the engine stand adapter still attached. I spent 5 min going "WTF IS that"? LOL. Looking great. I am watching closely. Very closely.

My project

post #174 of 183 Old 09-11-2017, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
1978 FSJ Cherokee 

It drives me crazy too, when almost every photo in build threads is a close-up...it's like, what the hell is that, back up about five feet

I left the hoist in place so until I can make a cross brace to hold the rear of the engine and remove the engine stand mount. Then I can install the rear seal and torque the cover bolts and mount the flex plate.

Dave's 78 Build
post #175 of 183 Old 09-12-2017, 11:09 AM
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1981 CJ5 

Garage
What's your plan for firewall clearance? Or do you already know where it'll be?

Andy, KD8EIA
|
|
|
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetscuh
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
post #176 of 183 Old 09-12-2017, 06:52 PM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Skerr likes this.

(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

post #177 of 183 Old 09-13-2017, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
1978 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewe02 View Post
What's your plan for firewall clearance? Or do you already know where it'll be?
Andy, I saved the Grand's firewall and used it to mock up the engine to build the mounts.

I also slotted the block mounts to give me about 3/4" forward and rearward adjustment.

Dave's 78 Build
post #178 of 183 Old 09-13-2017, 09:53 PM
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1981 CJ5 

Garage
Ah I remember that now, isn't the firewall the only part you saved? I may need to go back and read the beginning of this thread again

Andy, KD8EIA
|
|
|
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetscuh
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
post #179 of 183 Old 09-19-2017, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
1978 FSJ Cherokee 

I saved the hood, doors, quarter panels, the headliner and a lot of interior trim, parts I can use for the Cherokee or sell.

Dave's 78 Build
post #180 of 183 Old 09-19-2017, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
1978 FSJ Cherokee 

I have searched the internet for hours and have not found polyurethane biscuits to replace the Speedway rubber in the configuration I want, either too thick, to thin, to small or large in diameter, the wrong hole size, too expensive or unavailable. I considered hockey pucks that are vulcanized rubber and there are plenty of videos on Youtube tube of them being drilled and turned but they are not available at the local Academy, probably not in Texas

As a second option I stopped by HF to look at casters since they listed some with polyurethane wheels on the website. I bought two 3" for 4.49 each and that is cheap enough to see if they can be turned, ground or sanded to the dimensions I want, they have a starter hole and I don't have to wait. The diameter is fine at 2 3/4" but I want them 3/4" thick so that is about 3/16" per side but that should be flat.

Resourceful, cheap?

Nope........just impatient

Dave's 78 Build

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.