Dana 44 axle on Wagoneer 66? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Dana 44 axle on Wagoneer 66?

Artec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Rugged Ridge Bumpers, Winches, Performance from CCOR!JK Front Axle Truss

Unread 01-10-2014, 08:27 AM   #16
Gante

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP
For moderate off-roading the Dana 27 will be fine, unless you go and install tires like 33s or 35s. Keep in mind that it's lasted for 47 years so far....... That said, an axle swap would be less work than your idea of swapping the body by about tenfold.
You make a valid point. This is making me rethink my short term plan. It seems that I may be better off keeping the stock axles for now and we will see in the future if there is ever a real need for a swap to Dana 44.

Gante is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2014, 09:31 AM   #17
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Your D27 would be fine unless as mentioned you mount huge tires and hammer on the skinny pedal. The D30 is a little bit stronger, and obviously the d44 is stronger so than that.

Don't go looking for solutions to a problem that doesnt exist yet, haha.

The main reason I did the swap was because i needed to rebuild my D30 anyway, and i wanted disc brakes. It was(in my head) cheaper and made more sense to just swap the axles out. Flash forward 6 months of brake issues and constant head aches (others have done this swap smoothly, but i don't see how), and I finally have a jeep that is driving again

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2014, 10:09 AM   #18
Gante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus
Your D27 would be fine unless as mentioned you mount huge tires and hammer on the skinny pedal. The D30 is a little bit stronger, and obviously the d44 is stronger so than that. Don't go looking for solutions to a problem that doesnt exist yet, haha. The main reason I did the swap was because i needed to rebuild my D30 anyway, and i wanted disc brakes. It was(in my head) cheaper and made more sense to just swap the axles out. Flash forward 6 months of brake issues and constant head aches (others have done this swap smoothly, but i don't see how), and I finally have a jeep that is driving again
Is it possible to put disk brakes on the D27?
Unread 01-10-2014, 11:31 AM   #19
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gante
Is it possible to put disk brakes on the D27?
Yes. But you would still have to replace much of the brake system, an why would you dump $700 Into an axle that isn't all that great? That was my reasoning.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 01-10-2014, 11:47 AM   #20
Gante

Quote:
Yes. But you would still have to replace much of the brake system, an why would you dump $700 Into an axle that isn't all that great? That was my reasoning.
Makes sense!!
Unread 01-13-2014, 09:43 PM   #21
Gante

I found a 1971 Wagoneer for sale locally for a reasonable price. The body on the 71 wagoneer is a little dented but if I buy it I would use it mainly for parts for use on my 66 project.

Would the d30 front axle on the 71 be an easy swap to my 66? I know some people here recommended mid 70's.
Unread 01-14-2014, 02:24 PM   #22
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Probably not worth it over a D27

Quote:

Unread 01-14-2014, 02:33 PM   #23
Gante

Quote:
Probably not worth it over a D27
You don't think the swap is worth the time? I understand that the D30 is slightly better than a D27, plus the disc brakes on the D30 sound appealing too, instead of the front drum brakes.
Unread 01-14-2014, 03:31 PM   #24
CSP

Disc brakes on the FSJ weren't available until '73 or '74 and they were an option at that. You're not going to have discs on that '71 D30 unless a prior owner swapped them in.

The ujoint in that Dana 30 is arguably weaker than the joint in the D27 within the closed knuckle. The difference in ring gear size is marginal and not enough to make any appreciable strength difference over a D27.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2014, 03:37 PM   #25
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

^^^^ This.

The discs were not avaiable until 74. You would essentially be replacing to get the same axle. I think the D30 is a different spline count, but unless you're gonna go big you don;t need to.

"slightly better" and "better" doesnt always mean "necessary" I suggest sitting down and planning what you want to do with the vehicle in the end, before looking into all these swaps and changes. If you arent going to go with a big lift and tires the drums are adequate, and you could always just go hydroboost and that'll lock those drums up solid when you hit the pedal.

I went with discs because I have 33's that sucked on the stock drums, and because I tow a camper from time to time. Also, i went with the D44 upgrade because It's an updated design, tighter turning radius, more parts availability, because I wanted slightly deeper gears without regearing, and for some reason in my stupid head I figured it would be about the same cost as rebuilding and converting a D30 to disc.

looking back on everything, i would not have done the swap if I knew then what I know know, and if I knew how terrible of a process it was going to be for me.

Quote:

Unread 01-15-2014, 07:48 AM   #26
Gante

Thank you guys for the information and you suggestions. I guess it really makes no sense for me to be looking into a axle swap right now.
I figured that since I was considering buying this 71 for parts that I could potentially make use of the axle as well.
Unread 01-15-2014, 11:13 AM   #27
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

if you're going to be using the '71 for other parts besides the axles, then it may still be a good deal for you. whatever you don't use will find their way to CL to barter or sell or Ebay and get you some of your money back.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.