Dana 44 axle on Wagoneer 66? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Dana 44 axle on Wagoneer 66?

Thanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfECGS Black Friday Sale!!Gear Installs at CCOR Special

Unread 01-04-2014, 11:15 PM   #1
Gante

Dana 44 axle on Wagoneer 66?

Hey guys,
I just for myself a solid and rust free 1966 Wagoneer. I also owned a 1991 GW all stock. I noticed that the front axle on the 1966 GW is a bit smaller than the one in my 1991. I believe that the 1966 is stock and possibly a D27?... Also I learned that on my 66 the gears on the axle are shifted towards the passenger side while the gears on my 91 it is more towards the driver side.
I was wondering if I would be able to swap a D44 from another GW into my 66? I will assume that I can flip upside down the d44 axle when installed on the 66 GW in order to have the gears align with my stock transfer case... Is this really that simple or is there more involved in this swap?

Gante is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2014, 11:50 AM   #2
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

i have a '66 waggy. the front axle is a d27. the best way to do what you want is just get both the front and rear axles from a mid-late '70s waggy or j truck and swap them in. i was going to do that last summer on mine but something came up that took all my money. the reason for both axles is to keep the same 6 bolt pattern for both axles as the latter '70's had 6 bolt pattern wheels.
Unread 01-05-2014, 12:18 PM   #3
Gante

Quote:
Originally Posted by strvger01
i have a '66 waggy. the front axle is a d27. the best way to do what you want is just get both the front and rear axles from a mid-late '70s waggy or j truck and swap them in. i was going to do that last summer on mine but something came up that took all my money. the reason for both axles is to keep the same 6 bolt pattern for both axles as the latter '70's had 6 bolt pattern wheels.
Thank you for the info.
Unread 01-05-2014, 04:19 PM   #4
CSP

No, you can't flip an axle end for end. The gears would fail from poor lubrication and the axleshafts would want to turn backwards in drive and forward in reverse anyhow.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 11:45 AM   #5
84_Fiero

1966 FSJ Wagoneer 

The easiest thing to do would be to find a set of axles from a '70-'73 (I believe that's the right year range) Wagoneer, as they kept the same bolt pattern so you won't need new rims. You should have a two piece Dana 44 in the back as well on that '66, so you would benefit by swapping both axles.

"Anything that is complex is not useful and anything that is useful is simple. This has been my whole life's motto." –Mikhail Kalashnikov

“And note that it behooves a good Workman to hammer his Work as true as he can; for one quarter of an hour spent at the forge, may save him an hours work at the vice.” Josheph Moxon “Mechanick Exercises” from the year 1703

Nick’s 1966 Wagoneer Build
84_Fiero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 04:56 PM   #6
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

http://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowle...article-11.htm
looks like you'll need to get a d44's from a 1970's-mid 80's fsj for both the front and rear bolt patterns to match. they will be 6x5.5.
you might get lucky and find a D44-F from an old J series truck (up to about 1970) that should have the same 5 bolt pattern you have now. it would also have the same pass side gear housing, and closed knuckles.
good luck to you.
Unread 01-09-2014, 08:46 AM   #7
Gante

I would not mind changing from a 5 bolt to 6 bolt pattern if I need to.
I was also reading that lift kits for early Wagoneers are difficult or more scares than kits for newer Wagoneers. What is different on my 66 to a newer (late 80's) suspension that require different lift kits? Would I be better off if I were to start with the chassis from an 80's wagoneer on my 66 wagoneer? Would that make my life easier in the future as far as finding parts, accessories, etc?
Unread 01-09-2014, 09:03 AM   #8
CSP

The older ones (like 71 and older) were very inconsistent as far as the sizes of spring perches, hangers, etc. A part in a lift kit that fits one Waggie might not fit one of the same year parked right next to it.
Unread 01-09-2014, 10:31 AM   #9
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

how big of a tire are you wanting to run on your '66? i'm running 245/75x16 (31/10.50x15 equiv) on my stock suspension '66 with plenty of room for 265/75x16 or 235/85x16, both being 32" tall tires, with room to spare. it might even take 33" tires with some minor fender trim and correct back spacing on the wheels. all these are all way bigger than the 235/75x15 tires that came stock on it.
Unread 01-09-2014, 07:04 PM   #10
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

A swap is not as happy and easy as it sounds, ask me how i know.

If you want a direct replacement, you'll need a front and rear from a 1974-1979 Wagoneer or narrow track cherokee (WT cherokee and J truck will be too wide) that came equipped with a manual transmission (read: impossible to find) and a Dana 20.

Or you can find a 1974-1979 waggy/nt cherokee that came with quadratrack, which will have en even more offset axle in the rear, and run that, but you will have crazy driveline angles. Thats what i did, and i do get minor vibes because of it, but i believe it's because of the amount of lift i have, and my driveshaft being 100% fully extended.

The other benefit you will get from swapping in a later pair is disc brakes up front. That makes a big difference, but get ready....

You'll essentially want to grab the entire brake system from a 74-79 FSJ, because you'll need new lines, new proportioning valve (you dont have one currently), a new master cylinder, and a new booster, and a new brake pedal/mounting bracket if you do the booster, and will need to drill some holes in the firewall for the booster. Or you can modify your current booster to work with the later style master cylinder, maybe. If you don't grab all of that from a similar FSJ, you'll get to make it all, which is what I did.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2014, 08:27 PM   #11
Gante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus
A swap is not as happy and easy as it sounds, ask me how i know. If you want a direct replacement, you'll need a front and rear from a 1974-1979 Wagoneer or narrow track cherokee (WT cherokee and J truck will be too wide) that came equipped with a manual transmission (read: impossible to find) and a Dana 20. Or you can find a 1974-1979 waggy/nt cherokee that came with quadratrack, which will have en even more offset axle in the rear, and run that, but you will have crazy driveline angles. Thats what i did, and i do get minor vibes because of it, but i believe it's because of the amount of lift i have, and my driveshaft being 100% fully extended. The other benefit you will get from swapping in a later pair is disc brakes up front. That makes a big difference, but get ready.... You'll essentially want to grab the entire brake system from a 74-79 FSJ, because you'll need new lines, new proportioning valve (you dont have one currently), a new master cylinder, and a new booster, and a new brake pedal/mounting bracket if you do the booster, and will need to drill some holes in the firewall for the booster. Or you can modify your current booster to work with the later style master cylinder, maybe. If you don't grab all of that from a similar FSJ, you'll get to make it all, which is what I did.
Wow, it really is more work than what I thought. Thank you for the information.
Unread 01-09-2014, 08:28 PM   #12
Gante

Quote:
Originally Posted by strvger01
how big of a tire are you wanting to run on your '66? i'm running 245/75x16 (31/10.50x15 equiv) on my stock suspension '66 with plenty of room for 265/75x16 or 235/85x16, both being 32" tall tires, with room to spare. it might even take 33" tires with some minor fender trim and correct back spacing on the wheels. all these are all way bigger than the 235/75x15 tires that came stock on it.
On this one I would like to eventually end with a 4 inch lift and maybe 33" or 35" wheels .
Unread 01-10-2014, 12:18 AM   #13
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Can I ask 'why' you want to switch axles? It it just because you want a 44?

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2014, 07:37 AM   #14
Gante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus
Can I ask 'why' you want to switch axles? It it just because you want a 44?
I understand that the axles I have (D27? ) are weak. I would like for the truck to be capable of moderate off-roading. I figures that if I am to redo everything, I would be better to start with the dana44 from the start.
Unread 01-10-2014, 08:48 AM   #15
CSP

For moderate off-roading the Dana 27 will be fine, unless you go and install tires like 33s or 35s. Keep in mind that it's lasted for 47 years so far.......

That said, an axle swap would be less work than your idea of swapping the body by about tenfold.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.