Dana 44 axle seals. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > Dana 44 axle seals.

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 06-29-2013, 11:06 PM   #1
KINGJB
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Dana 44 axle seals.

I am rebuilding a set of dana 44 axles that came out of a mid 80s fullsize wagoneer. I am gathering together all of the parts and can not find inner axle seals that would go up against the carrier area anywhere. I have tried doing some research on the web and asking around and i've only come up with mixed info.

KINGJB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 08:52 AM   #2
CSP

Only the front axle would have these seals. The rear seals at the outer end of the axle tubes.

There shouldn't be any problem finding the front seals at all just by looking them up by the vehicle. The same seals were used on countless different D44s.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 03:09 PM   #3
KINGJB
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Alright. I have the outer seals and new wheel bearings, but I had figured there would be inner ones too. I stand corrected.
Unread 07-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #4
KINGJB
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Another quick question. I am going to throw a set of 4.10 gears in these axles. My question is about the shims that go on the carrier. Does it matter if they go on the inside or the outside of the carrier bearongs? I've been doing a lot of research on how to re gear and I've seen it both ways. Was wondering if it made a difference on my axles or not.
Unread 07-06-2013, 01:49 PM   #5
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

I put mine on the outside, because I do not have a press, and am too cheap to have the shop keep pressing the bearings on and off. I've had no problems with mine. If you have a press, I'd put them on the inside, though.

Do you have a case spreader? Will be way easier if you just have a shop put them in. But not too hard to do yourself. Setting up my gears is the one thing so far that I never wanna do again.
Unread 07-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #6
KINGJB
1999 XJ Cherokee 

No I don't have a case spreader. Regearing is something I wamt to learn hiw to do though. I have been collecting all the other tools to do the job.
Unread 07-06-2013, 06:08 PM   #7
pleontks
1976 J-Series Truck 

I'm glad I did mine, so now I know how, but it was a pain. You will need a case spreader. I made mine for about $30. It's a little scary to use, but nothing bad has happened yet.
Unread 07-06-2013, 07:27 PM   #8
CSP

I've never used a case spreader.

You can stick a shop rag between the pinion and ring gear, turn the pinion and it will force the carrier out. You can drive it back in with a dead blow hammer.

On a Dana 44 the bearings are supposed to go between the bearings and carrier. On some axles, like the Ford 8.8 and the AMC 20 they go outside the bearings, but not on the D44.
Unread 07-06-2013, 08:57 PM   #9
KINGJB
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleontks View Post
I put mine on the outside, because I do not have a press, and am too cheap to have the shop keep pressing the bearings on and off. I've had no problems with mine. If you have a press, I'd put them on the inside, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post

On a Dana 44 the bearings are supposed to go between the bearings and carrier. On some axles, like the Ford 8.8 and the AMC 20 they go outside the bearings, but not on the D44.

So which is it?
Unread 07-07-2013, 09:17 PM   #10
CSP

What's so unclear to you?

pleontks stated why he put them on the outside, knowing they are supposed to be behind the bearing.

I specifically stated that they go behind the bearing on the Dana 44. Should be no question what the proper way is.
Unread 07-08-2013, 09:24 PM   #11
KINGJB
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Alright. Technically the proper way is for them to go on the inside, but there isn't necessarily a problem putting them on the outside.
Unread 07-08-2013, 10:40 PM   #12
CSP

Sure there is. The bearing caps may not put even pressure on the races and the bearings if they aren't installed correctly.

Dana/Spicer wouldn't specify the arrangement of the shims if there wasn't a good reason for it.
Unread 07-08-2013, 10:59 PM   #13
KINGJB
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I ended up picking up an extra set of carrier bearings to make set up bearings with today. So I am putting the shims on the inside of carrier bearings.
Unread 07-11-2013, 05:28 PM   #14
jamesdart
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

I put 4.10s and a zip locker in my 44s. the zip locker actually came with large shims that went outside the bearings. the shims that came in the install kits didn't fit the zip locker. it seems to be working fine. i don't see why you couldn't do it that way, but the install kits don't come with shims to do that, you will have to source them.
some years of the 44 used an inner seal, some didn't. the rear inner seal is just inside the axle bearing.
jamesdart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2013, 06:20 PM   #15
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdart View Post
the rear inner seal is just inside the axle bearing.
That would be an outer seal. An inner seal is pressed into the axle tubes where they are inserted into the cast center section and is accessed via the inside of the center section.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.