D44 Rebuild and Swap - Progress/Questions Thread - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > D44 Rebuild and Swap - Progress/Questions Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-10-2013, 11:00 PM   #31
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Okay, here's how everything looks under the truck.

So, i had to move my muffler over slightly, it was just barely touching the drive shaft before.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

"One of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the great struggle for independence" - Charles Austin Beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.
Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 08:01 PM   #32
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

painted two rims tonight, these are going to look NIIIIICE with the dig dishes.

speaking of dog dishes...i have a plethora...

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

"One of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the great struggle for independence" - Charles Austin Beard

Quote:
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 03-18-2013, 01:45 PM   #33
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Chopped off the old shock brackets:

Made 2 of these lil things:

welded them up:

This gained me a few inches of clearance under the axle, which never hurt anybody. Except for me, because my shocks were way too long and didnt fit, so my buddy gave me a set of shorter skyjackers, but they are still too long and I only have about 1.5" of travel.

So, i'm ordering a short set of skyjacker Hydro's, with a 12" collapsed length which will give me a few extra inches of travel. My old shocks only had about 2.5" travel to begin wich, which was never an issue seeing as my tires hit my fenders after about 1" of movement haha.

Also, with the new narrow rims that have less back spacing, my tires are sucked way in, and i have at least another 1" between the tire and the fender now which is great. Tires look way more narrow in person, and the stance is more narrow as well. I'm diggin' it so far.

Ao i took her up on the highway and it seemed totally fine for a minute, then started vibrating at 65mph, not bad, but it was there. I also heard a crazy noise.

Turns out my exhaust shifted back over and was barely touching the driveshaft, which was the noise. I wasnt sure if that was causing the vibes though. I adjusted it by hand until i can re-weld it, and took her back on the highway. I was cruising at 65-70 with no noticeable vibes until i really got on the pedal, and it started to vibrate, but also started ringing which signified that the exhaust was hitting the shaft. Hopefully the vibes are a result of that, it seems to be that way.

So, to do list for the rear:
-Redo brake lines.
-Decide if I want to, or can, run my emergency brake lines.
-Pull the axles out and check bearings, possibly replace.
-new shocks
-move exhaust another 1/2" over.

Quote:

Unread 03-20-2013, 12:47 PM   #34
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Okay,

Axle bearings.

Specifically front inner, and the rear ones.

What is the likelihood that I will need to replace these? From what I see, i need to be able to pry or pull out the race some how, and then press it in?

Is this as simple as a 3 jaw puller or slide hammer and a hammer/block of wood?

I'm not really familiar with how to do these, and for the rear bearings my Haynes manual straight up says "take it to a dealer it needs to be pressed in"

Quote:

Unread 03-20-2013, 01:20 PM   #35
CSP

On the fronts once the seal is removed the bearing will just fall out. You can repack it if it isn't showing signs of wear or any bluing from heat. If you do replace it be sure to use a new race, which can be tapped out of the wheelbearing hub with a brass drift.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 01:37 PM   #36
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

yes, what about the spindle bearing though? That one seems to be deep inside!

Quote:

Unread 03-20-2013, 02:49 PM   #37
CSP

Those can be a b1otch to remove. I have a set of Dana 60 spindles that I'm doing the same job on. A pilot bushing remover can be used on them if they aren't overly corroded. I take a chisel and punch through the inner cage so that the rollers can be removed. Once they are out I run two beads of weld on the inside of the outer race parallel to the spindle and let it cool. That shrinks the outer race and they practically fall out of the spindle.

Sorry, I thought you were referring to the inner wheel bearing earlier.
Unread 04-02-2013, 10:46 AM   #38
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Minor progress has been made.

got the hubs and rotors stripped off the spindles. The bearings seem fine.

then pounded the wheel studs out of the hud/rotor assembly and separated them.

Quote:

Unread 04-03-2013, 09:11 AM   #39
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

It's comin' along.

image-1464627201.jpg

image-3775814080.jpg

Quote:

Unread 04-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #40
super98lsc
1999 WJ 

Love PB Blaster :-)
===================================
00 WJ 4x4, 4.7 stroker, turbocharged,..lots more..
01 WJ 4x2 4.7v8 Limited (needs valve job)
90 Grand Wagoneer 401 Edelbrock Heads, Lunati .510/.527 FT Cam, Edelbrock RPM Air Gap, Holley HP 750, Thorley Headers, HEI, Electric Fan w Digital controller,4" lift 31x10.50 Goodyear Duratrac's on Pro-Comp Wheels,new interior, seats,seals,Alpine and JL full system, Remote HEI, Clifford 2 way with remote start,windows,tailgate.
96 Cherokee Country 4dr/2x2 White/Tan 3" Lift Sahara 18" Wheels 32.5"'s 99up head and intake- for sale soon!
super98lsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #41
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

I picked up a slide hammer and bearing driver kit today from the parts store, got my spindles all cleaned up, pulled the old bearings, installed the new ones, then hit my axle housing with a wire wheel on a grinder and got it about 90% cleaned up, then shot 90% of it it satin black with roll bar/chassis paint. I think its like an epoxy paint?

I'll get pics in the sun

Quote:

Unread 04-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #42
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

shiny!

New spindle bearings.

Quote:

Unread 04-04-2013, 03:10 PM   #43
CSP

It's getting there!

I'll be doing the same paint job tonight on a HP Dana 60. I wish it was a D44 whenever it's time to move it around.
Unread 04-04-2013, 05:19 PM   #44
super98lsc
1999 WJ 

Nice work!! Damn now I want to go out and wire wheel, paint my axles.
===================================
00 WJ 4x4, 4.7 stroker, turbocharged,..lots more..
01 WJ 4x2 4.7v8 Limited (needs valve job)
90 Grand Wagoneer 401 Edelbrock Heads, Lunati .510/.527 FT Cam, Edelbrock RPM Air Gap, Holley HP 750, Thorley Headers, HEI, Electric Fan w Digital controller,4" lift 31x10.50 Goodyear Duratrac's on Pro-Comp Wheels,new interior, seats,seals,Alpine and JL full system, Remote HEI, Clifford 2 way with remote start,windows,tailgate.
96 Cherokee Country 4dr/2x2 White/Tan 3" Lift Sahara 18" Wheels 32.5"'s 99up head and intake- for sale soon!
super98lsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 05:49 PM   #45
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by super98lsc
Nice work!! Damn now I want to go out and wire wheel, paint my axles.
There was so much crud on that thig. I was covered head to toe in a nasty oil/rust/metal/dirt powder.

Quote:

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.