D44 Rebuild and Swap - Progress/Questions Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Full Size Jeep Forum > D44 Rebuild and Swap - Progress/Questions Thread

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-26-2013, 11:07 AM   #1
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

D44 Rebuild and Swap - Progress/Questions Thread

Well, I hopped in my lil' truck and drove my butt out to AZ to pick up some parts from a member here, and this is what I returned home with:

Plans are:

1. Full rebuild on both axles. Keeping stock gears:
-Bearings (wheel bearings)
-U joints
-Seals
-Ball Joints
-Tie Rod Ends
-Calipers/Rotors/Pads
-Wheel Cylinders/Shoes/Hardware/Drums
-Cleaned up and painted.

2. Install lunchbox Locker in front end or rear end or not at all, not sure yet.

3. Instal Manual Hubs in front end

4. New diff covers, welded steel or cast iron.

5. Refurbish those stock style steelies, swap over my tires, and mate them to the Dog Dishes

6. Install the axles and wheels!

I will update all of this as I go along.

Basic concept is to have "new" axles going under the truck. I figure i might as well do the work while the axles are out from under the truck and not have to worry about anything in the foreseeable future.

Any input is helpful. If you have suggestions on something I've missed, or on something I shouldn't bother with, please let me know, I dont claim to know everything or be right all the time, and appreciate constructive input.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #2
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Got the front end situated where I can work in it.

Pulled off the steering linkage and the calipers

image-825557367.jpg

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 02-28-2013, 04:28 AM   #3
RockRollin
"Positive.....I think"

1990 FSJ Wagoneer 

subscribed

I'm hearing humming from the rear.... uhm.... of my Jeep. I've never set up a diff, I'm watching
RockRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 12:47 PM   #4
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

this is paused.

rear axle may not work.

Quote:

Unread 02-28-2013, 03:26 PM   #5
Saul32
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

Is it something wrong with the axle or with the way it would fit the frame?
Unread 02-28-2013, 03:45 PM   #6
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

no. too much offset.

Quote:

Unread 02-28-2013, 03:50 PM   #7
Saul32
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

dang. What are ya gonna do now? Change the front one still or keep it as is?
Unread 02-28-2013, 04:15 PM   #8
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

cant change front, then i'll have 6 lug front, 5 lug rear, and different gears.

I'm going to throw it under the jeep in a week or two andd drive it around to see how the driveline angle affects everything. if its not a big issue with vibes, i'll continue as planned.

If it is an issue, i'll sell the rear, pickup a 3.54 R&P, have it swapped into my existing rear, then find a set of small bearing spindles and swap on ford hubs and rotors on my front axle, thus maintaining 5 lug, getting a D44 up front, and having matching gears.

Quote:

Unread 02-28-2013, 05:54 PM   #9
lar308

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, I'm a YJ owner but I've been arround jeeps for a long time. I have a couple sets of dana 44 gears, 3.31 and 3.54. I removed both from axles I used for my YJ. I do know the offset rear combined with the offest will more than likely give you a vibration. A buddy tried it under a YJ. I also did the conversion from 6 lug to 5 lug using small bearing spindles, it will widen your track width approx 3/8 to 1/2" per side. Anyway If you can use either or both set of gears you can have them, you pay shipping. Let me know if I can help. Ron
lar308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 08:09 AM   #10
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lar308 View Post
I do know the offset rear combined with the offest will more than likely give you a vibration. A buddy tried it under a YJ.
The longer wheelbase of the FSJ's generally keeps the angle at the ujoints to a point where vibration isn't a problem.

OP,
I'm surprised to hear that a wide track FSJ 44 has more offset than a narrow track. Are you sure that you're not comparing a Qtrac axle to a D20 axle? In that case there would definitely be more offset.

I've had wide track and narrow FSJ 44s and never noticed a difference as long as the tcase used in them was the same. The difference was all outside of the spring perches just in overall width.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #11
lar308

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I hope you're correct about the vibration. there's a definite drive shaft lenth difference. Ron
lar308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 11:49 AM   #12
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Ok, I'm a YJ owner but I've been arround jeeps for a long time. I have a couple sets of dana 44 gears, 3.31 and 3.54. I removed both from axles I used for my YJ. I do know the offset rear combined with the offest will more than likely give you a vibration. A buddy tried it under a YJ. I also did the conversion from 6 lug to 5 lug using small bearing spindles, it will widen your track width approx 3/8 to 1/2" per side. Anyway If you can use either or both set of gears you can have them, you pay shipping. Let me know if I can help. Ron

Thanks for the advice, and thank you for the offer, I will definitely let you know in the coming weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
The longer wheelbase of the FSJ's generally keeps the angle at the ujoints to a point where vibration isn't a problem.

OP,
I'm surprised to hear that a wide track FSJ 44 has more offset than a narrow track. Are you sure that you're not comparing a Qtrac axle to a D20 axle? In that case there would definitely be more offset.

I've had wide track and narrow FSJ 44s and never noticed a difference as long as the tcase used in them was the same. The difference was all outside of the spring perches just in overall width.
Want the description?

Wag's and NT cherokees got a rear axle based on the t-case choice. They either got a slightly offset rear for the D20 (offset to clear the gas tank) that was about 3.5" off center, or a very offset rear for Q trac, which was an offset t-case. These are about 6.5" off center.

ALLLLLLL WT vehicles and J trucks got the same rear axle regardless of transfer case. These literally split the difference between the two options above. You know why?

Because they used the same parts bins to create them.

WT axles are comprised of the left side of a NT QT axle (the drivers side, the long side) and the right side of a NT D20 axle (the short side, passenger side)

So, if it uses the same left side, how can the offset be more? Think of it this way, line up the left wheels, and the NT and WT Q trac axles have the dif in the exact same place. However, the Q-trac axles have an extra 2" of axle width on the passenger side of the dif, because they used the right side from a D20 setup. So, thats where the extra 2" of width comes in on a WT vehicle.

So, as said, no the right side is longer on the WT if you have the left wheels lined up. in order to center it and make it 1" longer on either side, you shift the whole thing to the left 1", which brings the diff closer to the center.

Does that description make sense? Sorry if its kind of clouded, but thats how the axles were built and thats what explains why WT's have less offset than NT's even though the left side of the axle is the same length.

Quote:
I hope you're correct about the vibration. there's a definite drive shaft lenth difference. Ron
Yeah, what's the length of a YJ ot TJ rear? Like 18 inches? My DS is 46" long from center of u joint to center of u joint haha.

Quote:

Unread 03-01-2013, 12:51 PM   #13
CSP

Very interesting. I would have thought they would have just used different axle tubes and axleshafts, but it doesn't suprise me that they took that method instead.
Unread 03-01-2013, 01:01 PM   #14
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
Very interesting. I would have thought they would have just used different axle tubes and axleshafts, but it doesn't suprise me that they took that method instead.
dude, we're talking about AMC here. they literally used duct tape on wire splices......factory installed duct tape man.

Yeah, their style of "parts bin engineering" is well known.

Quote:

Unread 03-01-2013, 01:35 PM   #15
CSP

I thought the same thing originally, but I would have to guess that Dana/Spicer would have assembled the axle housings rather than just delivering raw cases and tube to AMC.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.